Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #8476
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,608
Sure sounds like it. Smell the engine oil -- does it smell burned? If so, it's definitely clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
It's just like the clutch is slipping?
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #8477
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
I just put a Clean Speed Eng pedal on my '12. Nice & sturdy and a good fit. Looks similar to the RR, but less $$$.

http://www.cleanspeedeng.com/Brake%20Pedal.htm

Cheers,

MrHix
Ordered! Now what about the toe tip part, dealer or is there something else out there? Part number? Mine is somewhere out in the woods still attached to the tip of my brake pedal.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #8478
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondangle View Post
Took a peek, level looked OK. I just took the same route home, and the bike was doing the same thing. Hit the gas at 5k and revs shoot up to 8k, but no corresponding increase in power??? After a second, RPMs drop, and the bike makes power. It's just like the clutch is slipping?
I had that happen after the bike had sat for a long time. It only happened once and I babied it for the rest of that trip. I don't know if it's sound logic but can that discs dry out after sitting for a long time (or at least the part that's not submerged in oil?)

In any event it never recurred and so I didn't worry about it. Swapping the clutch pack is easy in any event if that turns out to be the issue.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #8479
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
I had that happen after the bike had sat for a long time. It only happened once and I babied it for the rest of that trip. I don't know if it's sound logic but can that discs dry out after sitting for a long time (or at least the part that's not submerged in oil?)

In any event it never recurred and so I didn't worry about it. Swapping the clutch pack is easy in any event if that turns out to be the issue.

Jeff
Interesting! I'm just having a hard time believing that the clutch is burned. Call me crazy, but I believe the first clutch should outlast the first tire
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #8480
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Is there a clutch pack replacement walk through somewhere or anything special to look for such as half plates etc ?

sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
Someone did a nice write-up but I think it was lost in the megathread blow-up. It's an easy procedure, some notes from memory:

--Obviously you'll be changing the oil too, so plan for that
--Go ahead and soak the clutch discs when you get them. I think the kit says they need to soak for at least 2 hours?
--You'll have to pull the footpeg mount (3 bolts) and the cover (9 bolts)
--The outermost section of the pack has a convex-shaped ring and a half-size friction disk. Pay attention to which side of the ring is facing out. The remaining stuff is just alternating friction/steel disks.
--Before disassembly note the arrow on the pressure plate (see pic below--it's pointing straight up) that lines up with a notch in the clutch pack. (I think it's a notch--i'll have to consult the service manual)
--The service manual recommends using a factory tool (screws with a shoulder on them) to hold everything together during assembly. It's not necessary but it was a bit fussy getting everything lined up during reassembly. Not a big deal
--Finally the bolts on the cover are 3 different sizes. There's 1 long, 2 medium, and then the rest are short. See the pic below.

FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #8481
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Someone did a nice write-up but I think it was lost in the megathread blow-up. It's an easy procedure, some notes from memory:

--Obviously you'll be changing the oil too, so plan for that
--Go ahead and soak the clutch discs when you get them. I think the kit says they need to soak for at least 2 hours?
--You'll have to pull the footpeg mount (3 bolts) and the cover (9 bolts)
--The outermost section of the pack has a convex-shaped ring and a half-size friction disk. Pay attention to which side of the ring is facing out. The remaining stuff is just alternating friction/steel disks.
--Before disassembly note the arrow on the pressure plate (see pic below--it's pointing straight up) that lines up with a notch in the clutch pack. (I think it's a notch--i'll have to consult the service manual)
--The service manual recommends using a factory tool (screws with a shoulder on them) to hold everything together during assembly. It's not necessary but it was a bit fussy getting everything lined up during reassembly. Not a big deal
--Finally the bolts on the cover are 3 different sizes. There's 1 long, 2 medium, and then the rest are short. See the pic below.

Thanks. Doesn't seem too hard. I think I'll contact the dealer in the morning. Too bad he's 3 hours away. But I just feel this is a warranty issue. I'm both old and slow, and there's no way it should have gone this quickly.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #8482
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Ordered! Now what about the toe tip part, dealer or is there something else out there? Part number? Mine is somewhere out in the woods still attached to the tip of my brake pedal.
I think that anything that fits the stock lever will work (may want to wait for confirmation). The CSE pedal uses the 2 bolts from the top to install the tip. I used the stock tip since I still had it. Looks like the Touratech folding tip MAY work (give em a call to make sure): http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...KTM-690-Enduro

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #8483
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:

You have some cheaper options then the touratech part... probably stronger also.
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-rall...ized-brake-tip
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-950-...ver-step-plate
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #8484
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 82
stronger brake pedal

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a fight on the pedals, just to provide another opinion, which apparently some others here share.

Anyway, in france the stock pedal is ~3x cheaper than the stronger pedals (incl delivery and taxes). I have protected the engine case with the glue-on side protector from G-it (I busted a hole there falling on a rock, costly repair, learnt the lesson and added the protection, and it now also protects the engine case from the twisting brake pedal). I also guess that KTM has made the pedals weak for a reason, not just to sell lots of them every year. I also understand that for some riders it is too weak, and a stronger unit is better.

If the stronger brake pedal was only slightly more expensive than the stock unit, and if it was designed to bend or break BEFORE twisting the footpeg bracket or frame, then I would buy it. Has anyone bent or broken the RR or CS pedals?
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #8485
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Hellas rally

Just back from the Hellas rally. Bike performed flawlessly, no maintenance needed. Replaced air filter once (was not really dirty) and mounted my spare wheel because the rocks ate my rear tire for lunch. Became 3rd in my class (a lot of 690's).

There is 32 Gb of video footage awaiting editing.....
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #8486
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Hellas rally

Once is enough
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #8487
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a fight on the pedals, just to provide another opinion, which apparently some others here share.

Anyway, in france the stock pedal is ~3x cheaper than the stronger pedals (incl delivery and taxes). I have protected the engine case with the glue-on side protector from G-it (I busted a hole there falling on a rock, costly repair, learnt the lesson and added the protection, and it now also protects the engine case from the twisting brake pedal). I also guess that KTM has made the pedals weak for a reason, not just to sell lots of them every year. I also understand that for some riders it is too weak, and a stronger unit is better.

If the stronger brake pedal was only slightly more expensive than the stock unit, and if it was designed to bend or break BEFORE twisting the footpeg bracket or frame, then I would buy it. Has anyone bent or broken the RR or CS pedals?
Aftermarket was cheaper than stock piece for me . I had not considered the brake pedal being designed to fail to spare other more expensive bits so it's good to hear both sides of the discussion on whether stronger is better. I ended up going with stronger part in this case, but also added the adv-spec covers to protect the cases.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a problem with the aftermarket piece causing damaged to the mounting point.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #8488
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I also guess that KTM has made the pedals weak for a reason, not just to sell lots of them every year.
Is there anybody on this forum who has had frame damage or at least damaged the brake pedal mount while using the Rally Raid or Cleanspeed brake pedals on their 690?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #8489
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Is there anybody on this forum who has had frame damage or at least damaged the brake pedal mount while using the Rally Raid or Cleanspeed brake pedals on their 690?

I believe I speak for myself when i say no.

The hit would have to be significant...and such a hit is likely to destroy a lot of other pieces...including the rider...in the process.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #8490
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,550
Quote:
Aftermarket was cheaper than stock piece for me . I had not considered the brake pedal being designed to fail to spare other more expensive bits so it's good to hear both sides of the discussion on whether stronger is better. I ended up going with stronger part in this case, but also added the adv-spec covers to protect the cases.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a problem with the aftermarket piece causing damaged to the mounting point.

The mounting point is not part of the steel frame but part of a bolt on aluminum piece that is mounted with 3 bolts to the frame. Though I am sure its possible to hit the brake pedal in such a way that frame damage would occur...but I suspect its such a rare scenario you are unlikely to see it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote