Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #8506
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Ordered! Now what about the toe tip part, dealer or is there something else out there? Part number? Mine is somewhere out in the woods still attached to the tip of my brake pedal.
I think that anything that fits the stock lever will work (may want to wait for confirmation). The CSE pedal uses the 2 bolts from the top to install the tip. I used the stock tip since I still had it. Looks like the Touratech folding tip MAY work (give em a call to make sure): http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...KTM-690-Enduro

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #8507
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Ordered! Now what about the toe tip part, dealer or is there something else out there? Part number? Mine is somewhere out in the woods still attached to the tip of my brake pedal.

You have some cheaper options then the touratech part... probably stronger also.
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-rall...ized-brake-tip
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-950-...ver-step-plate
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #8508
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 78
stronger brake pedal

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a fight on the pedals, just to provide another opinion, which apparently some others here share.

Anyway, in france the stock pedal is ~3x cheaper than the stronger pedals (incl delivery and taxes). I have protected the engine case with the glue-on side protector from G-it (I busted a hole there falling on a rock, costly repair, learnt the lesson and added the protection, and it now also protects the engine case from the twisting brake pedal). I also guess that KTM has made the pedals weak for a reason, not just to sell lots of them every year. I also understand that for some riders it is too weak, and a stronger unit is better.

If the stronger brake pedal was only slightly more expensive than the stock unit, and if it was designed to bend or break BEFORE twisting the footpeg bracket or frame, then I would buy it. Has anyone bent or broken the RR or CS pedals?
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #8509
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Hellas rally

Just back from the Hellas rally. Bike performed flawlessly, no maintenance needed. Replaced air filter once (was not really dirty) and mounted my spare wheel because the rocks ate my rear tire for lunch. Became 3rd in my class (a lot of 690's).

There is 32 Gb of video footage awaiting editing.....
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #8510
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Hellas rally

Once is enough
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #8511
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a fight on the pedals, just to provide another opinion, which apparently some others here share.

Anyway, in france the stock pedal is ~3x cheaper than the stronger pedals (incl delivery and taxes). I have protected the engine case with the glue-on side protector from G-it (I busted a hole there falling on a rock, costly repair, learnt the lesson and added the protection, and it now also protects the engine case from the twisting brake pedal). I also guess that KTM has made the pedals weak for a reason, not just to sell lots of them every year. I also understand that for some riders it is too weak, and a stronger unit is better.

If the stronger brake pedal was only slightly more expensive than the stock unit, and if it was designed to bend or break BEFORE twisting the footpeg bracket or frame, then I would buy it. Has anyone bent or broken the RR or CS pedals?
Aftermarket was cheaper than stock piece for me . I had not considered the brake pedal being designed to fail to spare other more expensive bits so it's good to hear both sides of the discussion on whether stronger is better. I ended up going with stronger part in this case, but also added the adv-spec covers to protect the cases.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a problem with the aftermarket piece causing damaged to the mounting point.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #8512
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I also guess that KTM has made the pedals weak for a reason, not just to sell lots of them every year.
Is there anybody on this forum who has had frame damage or at least damaged the brake pedal mount while using the Rally Raid or Cleanspeed brake pedals on their 690?
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #8513
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Is there anybody on this forum who has had frame damage or at least damaged the brake pedal mount while using the Rally Raid or Cleanspeed brake pedals on their 690?

I believe I speak for myself when i say no.

The hit would have to be significant...and such a hit is likely to destroy a lot of other pieces...including the rider...in the process.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #8514
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Aftermarket was cheaper than stock piece for me . I had not considered the brake pedal being designed to fail to spare other more expensive bits so it's good to hear both sides of the discussion on whether stronger is better. I ended up going with stronger part in this case, but also added the adv-spec covers to protect the cases.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a problem with the aftermarket piece causing damaged to the mounting point.

The mounting point is not part of the steel frame but part of a bolt on aluminum piece that is mounted with 3 bolts to the frame. Though I am sure its possible to hit the brake pedal in such a way that frame damage would occur...but I suspect its such a rare scenario you are unlikely to see it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #8515
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Lukas,

I had a minor spill on that bent the touratech folding tip but didn't do damage to either the pedal or frame.

Jeff
FriedDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #8516
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,061
easier to set a fire

08 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
The 690? What is it doing, or not doing?
4 long and one short code.... already chged the fuel pump... w/ ca cycle pump...

failed last fall no codes, I'm sure someone has the video for that.. failed in my drive way a month or more ago setting the 4L1S code, chged the fuel pump... had a grnd failure a week ago, fixed that easily, then failed again yesterday 4L1S code again.... wtf........................

no sound from the fuel pump to be heard..........
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #8517
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:

Lukas,

In 3 years of selling our Billet Rear Brake Pedal,I have never heard of one causing damage to the alloy footrest hanger.We have never had a pedal break,only a couple of the pressed steel tips flatten,and we sell those as a spare part.

As with all things,its a personal decision,but we sell as many Billet Front Sprocket Protecters/Clutch cylinder protector,and you could argue that if a stone went through it and wedged between the sprocket,then it could break the screws into the crankcases,whereas the OEM plastic one might break/deform......as I said,it's the riders choice.

Personally,I want something fitted to the bike that is not going to break easily on a long trip,and let me down.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #8518
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,056
ktmmitch:

When are you guys gonna put out some decals/graphics for the Evo-2 Tanks Only (No Fairing)?

Thanks, Dan

PS Loving the kit. Top notch.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #8519
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
ktmmitch:

When are you guys gonna put out some decals/graphics for the Evo-2 Tanks Only (No Fairing)?

Thanks, Dan

PS Loving the kit. Top notch.

We should have them next week.....
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #8520
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,056

Teaser?