ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #8536
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
I REALLY like the Moto Z tractionator tires. DOT approved (if that matters) and available in 140 width read. I got 3700 miles out of the rear while doing the TAT last year. Decent price on them, too. YMMV

Luke
There are three Motoz Tractionators - you mean the Tractionator Desert H/T ... ?

If so, are you running the 130/90-18 ... ?

Or the 140/80-18 ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #8537
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
There are three Motoz Tractionators - you mean the Tractionator Desert H/T ... ?

If so, are you running the 130/90-18 ... ?

Or the 140/80-18 ... ?
Yes, the Tractionator Desert H/T. I've been running the 140/80-18.
__________________
2004 BMW GS Adventure - sold - the greatest bike i've ever owned
2009 Suzuki DRZ-400S/SM - sold
2009 F800GS - the yella one
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #8538
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently SE Asia on the way to OZ
Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
I REALLY like the Moto Z tractionator tires. DOT approved (if that matters) and available in 140 width read. I got 3700 miles out of the rear while doing the TAT last year. Decent price on them, too. YMMV

Luke
There are various Tractionators, with that mileage I assume you are talking about the Desert H/T?

I haven't tried one yet, but they get similar reviews to the Michelin Deserts, tough and long lasting, with medium grip. The Deserts cost about 2.5x more over here, though.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #8539
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
Yes, the Tractionator Desert H/T. I've been running the 140/80-18.
The choice is interesting.

Both 130/90 and 140/80 have the same rolling circumference (364) - according to Motoz, the wider and flatter 140/80 has bigger knobs to accommodate high-speed heavier bikes and better straight-line stability - the 130/90 is tighter and more agile ...

I'll try these tyres, as everyone seems to like them ...

Had thought that the 140/80 was better suited to bigger bikes than the 690 - had also thought that there might be issues with the 690s 2.5" rim - but obviously not if you're running them - could you post a pic ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #8540
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper
 
wiswoodsguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northwoods of WI
Oddometer: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
Yes, the Tractionator Desert H/T. I've been running the 140/80-18.
where ya gettin them from ??

I did not see one listed at my stealer (they use PU), Bobscycle, or RMatvmc

RM - did not have a 606 rear listed, which would have been a choice

the Stealer (I get a 20% disc) was at 150 for the 606, 137 for the scorpion (DOT 140 size) and 141 for the stock MT21. The other 2 were 120 sized tires


Maybe a little info first. I mainly ride gravel/dirt fire lanes with pavement transitions. Lately, Ive sampled (on a baldish MT21) some techy single track with rocks, mud, uphills, roots, off camber. Occasionally the wife & I double up and hit the road, have done some 200 mile days but not too often.
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #8541
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
Yes, the Tractionator Desert H/T. I've been running the 140/80-18.
I run this tire on the Rear in this size for mostly dirt type riding with a Michelin Desert front.
I run a set of Heidenau K60 for more true DS riding, where I ride pavement to an area to ride some dirt sections.
Sometimes I'll run a MT21 front if they are available verses the Michelin Desert.
I dont like the MotoZ Tractionator Front at all. It doesn't seem to bite and just skimms the surface with little traction.
YMMV.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #8542
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 2,042
Dunlop 908 Rally raid 140/80/18 hands down is my New fav
Just did 1200 miles in Baja and it still looks new!
__________________
2015 support: Multitool,GPS IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2, Helmets,
100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #8543
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I run this tire on the Rear in this size for mostly dirt type riding with a Michelin Desert front.
I run a set of Heidenau K60 for more true DS riding, where I ride pavement to an area to ride some dirt sections.
Sometimes I'll run a MT21 front if they are available verses the Michelin Desert.
I dont like the MotoZ Tractionator Front at all. It doesn't seem to bite and just skimms the surface with little traction.
YMMV.
Any pics of that 140/80 rear ...

Consider the 130/90 ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #8544
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Dunlop 908 Rally raid 140/80/18 hands down is my New fav
Just did 1200 miles in Baja and it still looks new!

I really considered going with the 908 for the TAT but the Tractionators are less than half the price.

If I could figure out how to post pics I'd put some up here.
__________________
2004 BMW GS Adventure - sold - the greatest bike i've ever owned
2009 Suzuki DRZ-400S/SM - sold
2009 F800GS - the yella one
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #8545
ABuck99
0.0
 
ABuck99's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
I really considered going with the 908 for the TAT but the Tractionators are less than half the price.

If I could figure out how to post pics I'd put some up here.
MotoZ HT Dessert tread profile compacts loose earth for excellent traction, holds off camber sections very well, has a very good rubber compound, and will outlast a 908. The 140 is an excellent profile for the 690, but if some one has a 130, it will work fine. When I sold my 690, my dessert HT had 1800+ miles of road & hard rocky off road use and there was plenty of tread left. Compound holds well on asphalt too. Cant say enough about them. Only problem is that importer is back ordered. The next shipment wont be here for a month. Once they get the container unpacked, they will go pretty fast since there are a back orders to fill.

pics: http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_prods.asp?CatID=166
__________________
KTM: 06 KTM950S & 10 KTM450EXC
ABuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #8546
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
MotoZ HT Dessert tread profile compacts loose earth for excellent traction, holds off camber sections very well, has a very good rubber compound, and will outlast a 908. The 140 is an excellent profile for the 690, but if some one has a 130, it will work fine. When I sold my 690, my dessert HT had 1800+ miles of road & hard rocky off road use and there was plenty of tread left. Compound holds well on asphalt too. Cant say enough about them. Only problem is that importer is back ordered. The next shipment wont be here for a month. Once they get the container unpacked, they will go pretty fast since there are a back orders to fill.

pics: http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_prods.asp?CatID=166
What sort of pressure do you run in the rear offroad ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #8547
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 908
'Bout time for a tar thread

The initial question was about brands and widths.

I would go for the 140 over 120's for the 690.

I am a dedicated fan of the Motoz HT Desert and is my #1 tire choice for rear when on/off and off road:




I agree that the HT Desert front is not too good on loose stuff ...I like the Pirelli MT 18 (one of the Scorpion family) for the front. It is rated DOT and heavy duty case. I get good mileage on them w/ mixed surfaces:



I have heard mixed reviews about the Heidenau front for off-road (dirt, gravel, mud)...but folks like the H. rear for longevity, but not demanding off-road applications....that's where the HT Desert shines....
__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #8548
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,607
Since our 690's eat tires, why not opt for least expensive? The best low cost tires I've found are Michelin T63. Front and rear, $140 total, including shipping from Motorcycle Super Store. What's your low cost best?
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #8549
dewe74
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dewe74's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tamworth, Aus
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Since our 690's eat tires, why not opt for least expensive? The best low cost tires I've found are Michelin T63. Front and rear, $140 total, including shipping from Motorcycle Super Store. What's your low cost best?
I've just fitted a T63 to the rear of my bike for an upcoming ride. It only comes in 130 and am hoping to get 3500km out of it. It was $130 here in Australia which is similiar to the D606.
dewe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #8550
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Since our 690's eat tires, why not opt for least expensive? The best low cost tires I've found are Michelin T63. Front and rear, $140 total, including shipping from Motorcycle Super Store. What's your low cost best?
Strange reasoning IMO ...

The different sorts of tyres perform completely differently - both in terms of how they handle different sorts of terrain, and how well they wear on different bikes ...

I haven't found that the 690 eats tyres excessively - slightly more than the bigger enduros, and much less than the 950/990 ...

Might as well choose tyres that do the job best ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015