Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #8551
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
The different sorts of tyres perform completely differently - both in terms of how they handle different sorts of terrain, and how well they wear on different bikes ...

I haven't found that the 690 eats tyres excessively - slightly more than the bigger enduros, and much less than the 950/990 ...
Of course, I agree. Note I didn't say cheapest tires, but best, low cost tires. For example, a Dunlop 908 rear is $205 in the states while a T63 is $72. The 908 is arguably better in most situations, but 3 times (almost) better?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #8552
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Of course, I agree. Note I didn't say cheapest tires, but best, low cost tires. For example, a Dunlop 908 rear is $205 in the states while a T63 is $72. The 908 is arguably better in most situations, but 3 times (almost) better?
I have 400 miles on my T63 from my last ride and I think that I might get another 600 out of it. The 690 will use a tire up in about 1000 miles from my personal experience. I have tried a Moto-Z and it was changed out with about a 1000 miles on it as well.

This is the price with pay for this
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #8553
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 2,407
Sooo me getting 2K out of my MT21 is phenom then

Its all about me getting a new tire for the weekend. IF I order from my stealer b4 noon tomorrow, I have the tire in my hand the next day at noon. No shipping costs and they give me 20% off.

I have a Pirelli Scorpion MX XT (non DOT) on my 520 EXC, it used to get a lot of road time and the tire still looks great - wish they made the same tire in a DOT. I did find a Scorpion DOT tire, but had different tread (was considered best DOT off road tire by Dirt Bike Mag)

Love the look of the Tractionator - that will prob be my next tire choice. The 208 is a great tire too, heard great things, but that price Im sure it lasts very well, but I just cant pry the benjamins out of my pocket for THAT tire.

Its going to be a bad year for me buying tires My 2010 Avalanche needs new 20" skins and my wifes Jeep needs 33's + a set of winter tires
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #8554
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post

No, I regularly get 3000km (1800 miles) out of D606 rear - and I'm probably letting them go a little earlier than some might.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #8555
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
No, I regularly get 3000km (1800 miles) out of D606 rear - and I'm probably letting them go a little earlier than some might.
My MT21 was marginal last Sunday till I decided to play flat track racer on the gravel roads all day. Got back as was like Whoa !! ITs very spent now

Time for a Kenda 270 I put one on my 88 XT 600, rode it close to 10K in 8 yrs and was one there when I sold it in decent shape. It sucked all over, wasnt good at anything but road use
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #8556
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
Any pics of that 140/80 rear ...

Consider the 130/90 ... ?

Changing a flat this weekend in the Canyonlands. Bad tube split on the inside, the tire is awesome, 600+ dirt miles and a bit of pavement, just starting to round the corners. This was a torture test, rocks, sand, more rocks, catus, a little bit of everything, plus some 90 mph runs in the washes. Good times!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #8557
RSinBC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Where to Buy in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
'Bout time for a tar thread

The initial question was about brands and widths.

I would go for the 140 over 120's for the 690.

I am a dedicated fan of the Motoz HT Desert and is my #1 tire choice for rear when on/off and off road:

I agree that the HT Desert front is not too good on loose stuff ...I like the Pirelli MT 18 (one of the Scorpion family) for the front. It is rated DOT and heavy duty case. I get good mileage on them w/ mixed surfaces:

I have heard mixed reviews about the Heidenau front for off-road (dirt, gravel, mud)...but folks like the H. rear for longevity, but not demanding off-road applications....that's where the HT Desert shines....

Ged, any advice on where to get these tires in Canada? or are you shipping them in?

Thanks,

Richard
RSinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #8558
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
Ged, any advice on where to get these tires in Canada? or are you shipping them in?

Thanks,

Richard
Imperial motorsports in Burnaby would bring them in for me and they have a 20% discount on tires. The Motoz are in the motovan catalog so most dealers in Van should beable to get them for you

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #8559
RSinBC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
Imperial motorsports in Burnaby would bring them in for me and they have a 20% discount on tires. The Motoz are in the motovan catalog so most dealers in Van should beable to get them for you

Thanks for that, i will make a few calls tomorrow.
RSinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #8560
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post

Thanks,

Richard
Richard,
I have bought them in the states before but got my last one here in Kamloops from Rivercity Cycle after I told them to get some in:

http://www.rivercitycycle.com/

Call Ryan at parts (250-377-4320) and ask if they have any of the HT Deserts... tell him I told you to call....that should be good for no discount but a chuckle

Or try RTR at: http://www.rtrperformance.com/ Larry or Mike at parts ( I bought my 450 EXC and 690 from them, but Rivercity has better prices generally)....

Hey...just edited this for an update: Call International in VAncouver and they have a GREAT price:

http://www.internationalmotorsports....uctId=10917347

$144 + tax !!

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #8561
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Need some advice on front sprocket change. I have a 14t tag sprocket that I was going to put on today but when I went to remove the stock one it was much thicker than the 14t I have. It has a rubber piece that goes on the outside and what looks like one on the back but it may be part of the sprocket. Has anyone changed their front sprocket out that can help me?
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #8562
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG View Post
I have 400 miles on my T63 from my last ride and I think that I might get another 600 out of it. The 690 will use a tire up in about 1000 miles from my personal experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Quote:
How many miles you can get out of a tire is a bit complicated. What I've found with both MT21 and D606's is the more they wear, the slower they wear... almost as if the rubber keeps getting harder the farther down you go.

On a MT21 rear I'll go thru about 80% of the tread in 800 miles. At that point, for most guys going off road the tire is unacceptable - you've got less bite than a TKC 80... little more than a new trail wings 302.
HOWEVER I've gotten 3,500 miles on the rear... here's my experience:
80% gone by 800 miles.
90% gone by 2000 miles (1/4 of the knobby length left on the sides; "flat spots" formining in the center.
By 3,500 miles they looked worse than at 2,000 but not that bad. Someone here on ADVrider went 6,000 miles!

The D606 is even better in my experience... reason being is that as it gets old its not as rough on the road as the MT21. (This was backwards to my reasoning as I thought the tires would be smoother on the road as they wore... the D606 gets a bit rougher as it wears and the MT21 much rougher.)

I did 2,500 road miles in 3 days once on my 690 (Think 1 1/2 years of Seth's riding in 3 days - possibly why he thinks they are more reliable than I do! ) with lots of off road at the beginning and end of that trip. At the begining the tires were fresh - 3 days later I got new tires but it would have been foolish to have gotten new ones in the middle of my 800 mile a day push. It really is nice the tires CAN do that if they have to.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #8563
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Since our 690's eat tires, why not opt for least expensive? The best low cost tires I've found are Michelin T63. Front and rear, $140 total, including shipping from Motorcycle Super Store. What's your low cost best?
Pretty much what I do. Whatever the hells on sale. I did pick up a Shinko 520 that I'm gonna try after the current T 63 wears out. I usually get around 800 miles on the T 63's. The Shinko cost a couple bucks more but if I can get 1K miles out of it then I figure I'll come out ahead.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #8564
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,942
Quote:
Strange reasoning IMO ...

The different sorts of tyres perform completely differently - both in terms of how they handle different sorts of terrain, and how well they wear on different bikes ...

I haven't found that the 690 eats tyres excessively - slightly more than the bigger enduros, and much less than the 950/990 ...

Might as well choose tyres that do the job best ...
The bike isn't what determines tire wear nearly as much as the rider. My 450 EXC wears out a tire just as fast as my 690. My 690 with the 17" wheels and sport compound tires wears out a tire just as fast as my R1 did.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #8565
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Need some advice on front sprocket change. I have a 14t tag sprocket that I was going to put on today but when I went to remove the stock one it was much thicker than the 14t I have. It has a rubber piece that goes on the outside and what looks like one on the back but it may be part of the sprocket. Has anyone changed their front sprocket out that can help me?
As long as you have the right spacing on the back side of the sprocket, then you are fine.