Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #8551
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcity View Post
previouisly posted elsewhere... looking for enlightenment.

Accelerating through a left turn in town, bike completely shuts down.... no power at all.; did not accidentally hit kill switch; battery wiring did not look disconnected. would not respond at all to turning of the key
I waited for about 10 minutes --> fired up with a "FI - bat" error (I believe it said) with tachometer showing redline and clock reset. Made it home (1/2 mile) and parked it.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the input.
Another possibility is the fuel pump is starting to fail. See FI issues.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #8552
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 288
Got the new fan switch and bash plate installed, but still waiting on a number of other parts to come in (kick stand cutout, etc) and so I've got time to do a couple of other "bomb proofing" things. I've read there are something like 6 frame grounds on the 690. Does anyone have pictures of where they all are located or a frame diagram that shows all of them? I'd be happy to photograph all of them freshly scuffed in location IF I knew where they all were...

Thanks,

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #8553
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
Does anyone have pictures of where they all are located or a frame diagram that shows all of them? I'd be happy to photograph all of them freshly scuffed in location IF I knew where they all were...

Thanks,

Lee...
1. Motor/starter motor to frame, braided line
2. Battery to frame. (-) on battery
3. Regulator rectifier to frame. (2x green wires).

What I did was run a wire from regulator rectifier to battery - terminal. that way you know you will always have a good ground for charging.
You can either take the green wires and splice them to a #6 wire (i think that is what i used) and run it to the battery, or put a ring terminal on the #6 (both ends) and just make a jumper from the battery (-) where the RR connects to the frame. I did not worry about the frame to motor ground.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #8554
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Thanks, Noah. Headed out to the shop right now! Great to see that you are back on the road, but not so sure Az is the best place to be! Good luck in all your future adventures and thanks for the info...

Lee...

Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #8555
jmp5us
MY DUDE!

Oddometer: 23
what do you guys think about this rack? we fabbed this up custom made of 1/2 round bar.

First we made just the top rack. I am about to take a 10 day adventure on the tat and decided some side bags would be nice. I choose to use pelican 1500's. I wanted to order the rack from happy trails, but they were 2 month's back order, which they neglected to tell me when i ordered. So we finished this rack saturday, just in time for me to leave wednesday.

I am happy with it so far, kinda sucks its welded to the top rack, but in the short time we had it was the easiiest way to do this. so this will just be my traveling rack, i will fab up another top rack when i get back.

jmp5us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #8556
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Just finished the break-in oil change on my 2012.

Anyone else run into this? I ordered the filters from the KTM dealer (I live in Newfoundland with no local dealer...I have to take a 16 hour ferry to get the the nearest dealer). The box for the short filter said 75038046100, but the number stamped on the filter itself was 75038046101. The number on the short filter I removed said 75038046100.

They look identical (open on both ends... unlike the closed on one end for the 2011 and below filters).

I did some online searching, but couldn't find anything other than a post (from this thread) from Muffinman indicating he removed a 75038046101 from his bike and installed a 75038046100 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6890

Any advice here?

Thanks
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #8557
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp5us View Post
what do you guys think about this rack? we fabbed this up custom made of 1/2 round bar.

First we made just the top rack. I am about to take a 10 day adventure on the tat and decided some side bags would be nice. I choose to use pelican 1500's.
Solid bar or tube?

I also used Pelicans, although mine are 1550s.

I have a KTM luggage rack, and I chose the Happy Trails mounting hardware. Mine are flush with the top of the seat, which makes packing additional gear on top easy. Yours look a bit low to me, and I worry that you might have ground-clearance issues.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8558
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,207
I think the clearance on those pelicans is comparable to any other hard bags you might buy...
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #8559
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
Just finished the break-in oil change on my 2012.

Anyone else run into this? I ordered the filters from the KTM dealer (I live in Newfoundland with no local dealer...I have to take a 16 hour ferry to get the the nearest dealer). The box for the short filter said 75038046100, but the number stamped on the filter itself was 75038046101. The number on the short filter I removed said 75038046100.
16 hours to the nearest dealer

I noticed the same thing while doing an oil change last year. The number on the box was 75038046100 but the short filter had 75038046101 stamped. On the oil filter service kit that I bought a few months later the short filter had the correct part number (75038046100).

The filters are exactly the same so no need to worry. Maybe they just printed the first batch with wrong number.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #8560
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp5us View Post

Looks good! I used pelicans as well but smaller ones than yours. They are perfect size for over night trips. For longer tours (1-2weeks) I ditch the small top box for a Klim duffle bag.

Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #8561
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
1. Motor/starter motor to frame, braided line
2. Battery to frame. (-) on battery
3. Regulator rectifier to frame. (2x green wires).

What I did was run a wire from regulator rectifier to battery - terminal. that way you know you will always have a good ground for charging.
You can either take the green wires and splice them to a #6 wire (i think that is what i used) and run it to the battery, or put a ring terminal on the #6 (both ends) and just make a jumper from the battery (-) where the RR connects to the frame. I did not worry about the frame to motor ground.
Another failure point is where the coil is bolted to frame - especially if you have the Rally Raid tanks and have the bracket to relocate it as this adds another earth failure point (the blind nuts). Had real problems with this and got tired of pulling tanks and doing roadside repairs. Ran a dedicated earth from battery terminal and have not had a problem in a year since.
www.airborneriders.com

blakrj screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 03:11 AM
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #8562
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Ronin: You mentioned #6 wire (U.S. size, I assume?) for the ground connection back to the battery from the ground on the coil. Did you really mean #6---I had forgotten just how big that is! No problem, I'm hooking it up tonight once I find the copper connectors I'm looking for, but #6 is really large---looks larger than the power wire to the starter, even!

Thanks for the suggestions on this, everyone.

Lee...

Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #8563
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
16 hours to the nearest dealer
I know. We are pretty isolated here in Newfoundland. There are two ferries to leave the island (one is 16 hours and only runs in the summer and the other is 5 hours, but you have to drive 12 hours from St. John's to get to the ferry launch.) Of course you could take an 1.5 hour plane ride to Halifax, but not sure if I can fit the 690 in the overhead compartment.

We had two KTM dealers up until last year, but KTM Canada decided to pull both of the dealerships. I guess they weren't selling enough . (The entire island is only 500,000 people, so I am not sure what their expectation is )

Many of us KTM owners are pretty pissed that we have been left to fend on our own with no dealer/service support.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #8564
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
I know. We are pretty isolated here in Newfoundland. There are two ferries to leave the island (one is 16 hours and only runs in the summer and the other is 5 hours, but you have to drive 12 hours from St. John's to get to the ferry launch.) Of course you could take an 1.5 hour plane ride to Halifax, but not sure if I can fit the 690 in the overhead compartment.

We had two KTM dealers up until last year, but KTM Canada decided to pull both of the dealerships. I guess they weren't selling enough . (The entire island is only 500,000 people, so I am not sure what their expectation is )

Many of us KTM owners are pretty pissed that we have been left to fend on our own with no dealer/service support.

Hi-Flo makes the KTM filters.. they are the same just not orange in color. You should just order a batch of them to have on hand for the future. an order of 5 pairs would set you up for quite a few miles of riding. The hi-Flo filter is usually half the price of the KTM branded one.

Another price comparison...those twin foam air filters we like to run:

KTM retail..orange color with KTM logo: $80
Generic Green foam with relevant logo: $50 to $60
parts Unlimited with black foam and no logo: whole sale about $6.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #8565
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
The TPS values on the 11 are different from all other years. Your numbers are the same as mine +/- .1-2.

I havent been able to confirm the numbers anywhere. The 2010 manual doesn't have the proper settings for the 2011. I've asked KTM for the numbers but even my mechanic couldn't tell me what they should be. He said his scan/adjust tool just tells him when he has it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xico View Post
I'm having some problems with stalling with my bike.
Until now, I've checked
- All the fuel system from the pump to the injector
- Tried with another voltage regulator

But the problem continues.

Now I've conected the Tune ECU to see any problems.

Are these Throttle settings ok? I think I read somewhere of values of 0,5 or 0,7V... If they are not ok, how can I adjust them?
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote