ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #8641
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper
 
wiswoodsguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northwoods of WI
Oddometer: 1,810
Just a little peeved

Seems that the cute girl behind the parts counter cant read or distinguish numbers !! I ordered a Dunlop 606 and got a Pirelli Scorpion Pro (DOT) instead
The kicker was the Pirelli was $23 cheaper than the Dunlop, but was charged the same price as the 606 with my 20% disc = lessoned learned.

plus they usually swap tires for me for free, but the new service guy wanted $35 and was confused when I walked away laughing

I'll wait and get my tires online from now on

If I didnt need the tire yesterday, I would have sent it back. So the good news is that I can report how well the Scorpion holds up
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #8642
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Just a little peeved

Seems that the cute girl behind the parts counter cant read or distinguish numbers !! I ordered a Dunlop 606 and got a Pirelli Scorpion Pro (DOT) instead
The kicker was the Pirelli was $23 cheaper than the Dunlop, but was charged the same price as the 606 with my 20% disc = lessoned learned.

plus they usually swap tires for me for free, but the new service guy wanted $35 and was confused when I walked away laughing

I'll wait and get my tires online from now on

If I didnt need the tire yesterday, I would have sent it back. So the good news is that I can report how well the Scorpion holds up
hate it when that happens
__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #8643
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Aaron from Texas's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 489
Finally got a combo of handguards that I like. I had some older Cycra's that wasn't too fond of because the PO cut the length short to fit a set of Twin Walls...

I also didn't care for Cycra's plastics. I really liked Zeta's with the integrated turn signals, but didn't care for the way they mounted with the hinged support at the center, and I also preferred the outer plastic on the Cycra's.

Enter my Cycra CRM / Zeta combo. Just had to drill and tap new holes to fit the Zeta pattern.



Now along with my integrated rear LED, I have absolutely zero external turn signals. Although I've been riding without front's for a while...
__________________
1987 Honda XL600R
ftwtexas.blogspot.com
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #8644
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Just a little peeved

Seems that the cute girl behind the parts counter cant read or distinguish numbers !! I ordered a Dunlop 606 and got a Pirelli Scorpion Pro (DOT) instead
The kicker was the Pirelli was $23 cheaper than the Dunlop, but was charged the same price as the 606 with my 20% disc = lessoned learned.

plus they usually swap tires for me for free, but the new service guy wanted $35 and was confused when I walked away laughing

I'll wait and get my tires online from now on

If I didnt need the tire yesterday, I would have sent it back. So the good news is that I can report how well the Scorpion holds up
I didn't provide input about tires. It seemed that you were already covered. However, considering your current situation, I will say that I am a firm believer of the Pirelli Scorpion line of tires. I have tried the Pro, Ralley and the XCMH in both front and rear. I really liked all of them. Especially the fronts. To me, they were much better than both the 606 and the MT21.

I seem to get very, very good tread life out of them, until I start to use them for very hard pavement breaking and then I get irregularly sloped knobs on the front. They last a long time though with more casual riding on pavement. I haven't noticed this wear while riding dirt. You can't get on the front brakes like that.

A set through moto-superstore is usually around $150 shipped and you get a 10% discount for the next set.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #8645
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Finally got a combo of handguards that I like. I had some older Cycra's that wasn't too fond of because the PO cut the length short to fit a set of Twin Walls...

I also didn't care for Cycra's plastics. I really liked Zeta's with the integrated turn signals, but didn't care for the way they mounted with the hinged support at the center, and I also preferred the outer plastic on the Cycra's.

Enter my Cycra CRM / Zeta combo. Just had to drill and tap new holes to fit the Zeta pattern.



Now along with my integrated rear LED, I have absolutely zero external turn




signals. Although I've been riding without front's for a while...






You can also fit the acerbis rally extender to the zeta,s for a lot more roost
And wind Protection.

__________________
Birth of a Rally Bike - KTM525

Mudguts screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 02:54 PM
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #8646
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 1,049
Bike looks great mudguts,what bashplate you going to use,carbon/alloy?
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #8647
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,093
Got a carbon one ill mount it up next week just gotta make some brackets then I only have the header flange and link pipe to the muffler to Finnish ,

I just want to ride da fucker
__________________
Birth of a Rally Bike - KTM525
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #8648
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper
 
wiswoodsguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northwoods of WI
Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I didn't provide input about tires. It seemed that you were already covered. However, considering your current situation, I will say that I am a firm believer of the Pirelli Scorpion line of tires. I have tried the Pro, Ralley and the XCMH in both front and rear. I really liked all of them. Especially the fronts. To me, they were much better than both the 606 and the MT21.

I seem to get very, very good tread life out of them, until I start to use them for very hard pavement breaking and then I get irregularly sloped knobs on the front. They last a long time though with more casual riding on pavement. I haven't noticed this wear while riding dirt. You can't get on the front brakes like that.

A set through moto-superstore is usually around $150 shipped and you get a 10% discount for the next set.
Thanks for the positive input. Makes the purchase a little less unnerving

Got the rear spooned on tonight, but was too late for a romp around the yard

I have the non DOT version on my 520 and its been on there for quite some time and still looks good. Time will tell. It does get some good ratings online too
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #8649
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 180
Just wondering how high I can rise the bars without extending the cables and whatnot. I have a 2010 690.
__________________
2010 KTM 690 Enduro r (Current)
LOADED 2008 KLR (Sold)
2000 Ducati Monster 750 (Sold)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #8650
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Just wondering how high I can rise the bars without extending the cables and whatnot. I have a 2010 690.
2.5" to 3". you just have to spin your throttle tube upside down
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #8651
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I didn't provide input about tires. It seemed that you were already covered. However, considering your current situation, I will say that I am a firm believer of the Pirelli Scorpion line of tires. I have tried the Pro, Ralley and the XCMH in both front and rear. I really liked all of them. Especially the fronts. To me, they were much better than both the 606 and the MT21.

I seem to get very, very good tread life out of them, until I start to use them for very hard pavement breaking and then I get irregularly sloped knobs on the front. They last a long time though with more casual riding on pavement. I haven't noticed this wear while riding dirt. You can't get on the front brakes like that.

A set through moto-superstore is usually around $150 shipped and you get a 10% discount for the next set.
+1. I love the XMCH front, and a TrakMasterII rear. Combo lasts a long time unless you do a lot of wheelies and use lots of aggressive front breaking on the street. The XMCH hooks well enough to do stoppies if one was inclined...
I ran an MT21 on the front of my 450EXC once. Didn't care for it at all, and my 690 had a 606 on it when I bought it. Don't care for it at all either. BUT this is Florida, and a tire needs to work well in the sand. MT21's and 606's didn't for me.
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #8652
folknride
Old Adventurer
 
folknride's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 665
Question Since we're talking tires - dumb question...

I have a longish pavement ride coming up and would rather not wear out my Scorpion Rally (which I really like, by the way). Can I use a safely mount a leftover 150/70/18 Scorp that I half used up on my 990?
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #8653
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
+1. I love the XMCH front, and a TrakMasterII rear. Combo lasts a long time unless you do a lot of wheelies and use lots of aggressive front breaking on the street. The XMCH hooks well enough to do stoppies if one was inclined...
.
Is the Trakmaster II harder compound than the regular Trakmaster? Almost your combo is what my son was running on his 525 for our Death Valley ride last month. The roads are extremely rocky. He ate that TM rear tire up in about 400 miles. We are going back to the XCMH Front/Rear. My 690 is about 1200 miles into this XCMHt rear.
Here with all the rocky terrain we go thru 2 rear for every 1 front tire.
__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC,
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #8654
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
2.5" to 3". you just have to spin your throttle tube upside down

Perfect thx!
__________________
2010 KTM 690 Enduro r (Current)
LOADED 2008 KLR (Sold)
2000 Ducati Monster 750 (Sold)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #8655
stingraysktm
Adventurer
 
stingraysktm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Autin, Tx
Oddometer: 24
Divot in Clutch Cover

Can anyone tell me what this divot in the clutch cover is for? It's in between the oil filter cover and water pump cover (just below the center bolt in this picture). Mine always has oil in it. It's a 2010 690R, I've got a buddy with a 2012 and his as the same divot but is not full of oil.

stingraysktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014