when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,120
Not quite you have stop turn engine off select map restart and off
You go
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #8672
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,052
My 690 had a blown head gasket . The head was also warped slightly & required machining .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #8673
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
A very off topic question for Seth... does it hurt when they bite?

It's a serious question; at one of my riding places where I enter and usually stop and lock up my luggage they've got a bunch of geese that charge. I've considered kicking them in the chest to keep them back but wouldn't want to be so harsh if there bite wasn't bad.
They have big beaks with serrations all along the top and bottoms. Our goose is getting better at biting. I usually have pants on and he cannot get a good purchase. I think it would be pretty uncomfortable if I were bitten with shorts on. I usually just grab him by the neck and have a little chat about his ways and then he backs off.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #8674
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
They have big beaks with serrations all along the top and bottoms. Our goose is getting better at biting. I usually have pants on and he cannot get a good purchase. I think it would be pretty uncomfortable if I were bitten with shorts on. I usually just grab him by the neck and have a little chat about his ways and then he backs off.
If a goose or gander goes for you, offer it your left hand (if you're right handed - do it the other way if you're left handed), but don't let it bight down on you. Use your hand to lead the goose in front of you so you can get your right arm around its body and fold its wings in and lift it up. They go pretty quiet when you pick 'em up. If a goose does get your finger just push your fingers back into the apex of their jaw and they'll let go. When a goose grabs your skin it will twist its neck and that hurts.
They're one of the best guard dogs going but they shit (it seems) about 10x their body weight each and every day - I'm not a fan.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #8675
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
If a goose or gander goes for you, offer it your left hand (if you're right handed - do it the other way if you're left handed), but don't let it bight down on you. Use your hand to lead the goose in front of you so you can get your right arm around its body and fold its wings in and lift it up. They go pretty quiet when you pick 'em up. If a goose does get your finger just push your fingers back into the apex of their jaw and they'll let go. When a goose grabs your skin it will twist its neck and that hurts.
They're one of the best guard dogs going but they shit (it seems) about 10x their body weight each and every day - I'm not a fan.
At least 10x their weight and mostly on the sidewalk or other surfaced area. In a previous life we lived where banana slugs were numerous. The geese would grab them and violently shake their heads in a twisting motion making a sick slapping sound while covering their heads with slime. Sadly entertaining for everyone but the slug.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #8676
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

I'll stick with the grab the neck and yell method.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #8677
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

was considering buying a new radiator for the bike. Then I looked at the price list and remembered why I have avoided that option. Anyone have a pro-deal?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #8678
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 585
never looked into it but there's probably an aftermarket option you can make fit, with increased cooling performance as a bonus
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #8679
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
was considering buying a new radiator for the bike. Then I looked at the price list and remembered why I have avoided that option. Anyone have a pro-deal?
Someone looking in the Flea market for a radiator recently was directed to a brand new one on ebay or $3xx.xx. So there may be some deals if you catch them.

found the ad fwiw. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886275

sdd04 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:23 AM
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #8680
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
never looked into it but there's probably an aftermarket option you can make fit, with increased cooling performance as a bonus
Possibly...though the one on the 690 is unique to the 690. I'll keep looking. My stock one has been tweaked and repaired a few times and works.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #8681
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
Heck, the stock one is way over kill for cooling performance, Of course you'd expect it since it's as big as my old Busa radiator was. Might be nice to go with something between the 690 and the EXC radiators.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #8682
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Thanks for the pointers guys! Actually the question wasn't 100% off topic as its kind of alone the lines of keeping riding areas open. There's a massive network of jungle trails just outside KL in the Titiwangsa (I know...) range and the closest entrance you have to ride thru a "goose farmers" property... right now he doesn't mind us riding thru so I was trying to avoid using my machete to protect myself from something that may not have even been painful .

In exchange for your helpful advice, if you ever come to Malaysia I'll give you a tour of the Titiwangsa jungle trails!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #8683
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,829
The stock radiator struggles to keep the engine cool in Australia's climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Heck, the stock one is way over kill for cooling performance, Of course you'd expect it since it's as big as my old Busa radiator was. Might be nice to go with something between the 690 and the EXC radiators.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #8684
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
The stock radiator struggles to keep the engine cool in Australia's climate
+1

I'll be using engine ice in spring / summer ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #8685
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
What is in there from the factory? I have a couple bottles of engine ice on the shelf but havent figured out whats in there now. Might be worth changing. I am also going to get the 89 thermo switch.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote