Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #8851
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
How do you feel it compares to the race light you had on your SE? My 690 has TT race light with Boatmans conversion and I'm trying to decide which way to. I like the race light output and the clean air. Above 70 though it gets hard to hang on...
Have not had a chance to do a proper night ride yet. I'll let you know how it works as soon as possible.

I went w/ the 2 HID option in the 90mm Hella housing, but am looking at possibly installing a flush mount Squadron LED in the position of the HID high beam to save weight, room and have an instant on light. Britannia composites uses Future vision HID components.

I'll keep the HID low because I like having the street legal cut off.

I was really tempted to use the HWDB dual LED set up I have on my 530, but did not want to mess w/ all the wiring and the non legal low beam.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #8852
Superdude
Banned

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
The theory so far is that since KTM sells the 690 with passenger foot pegs, the subframe/tank must be design to take the load...
My personal experience is that I broke the lower tank bolts with substantially less load than a passenger would be...
The tank may very well be OK, but the mounting points are suspect...
even with the upgraded upper and lower bolts...
No disagreements there although the KTM (Touratech) racks add a whole pile of rigidity to the back end. I installed the kit while waiting for the bolts to arrive and it took the slop right out of the tank bolts. With the dual down tubes, it acts like an exoskeleton (to quote an earlier inmate's words) and is probably the best thing I have installed yet to help me sleep at night. Ugly as sin, but what the hell.
Admittedly, after 40 years of boring but predictable Japanese quality, the 2012 690 has me alternating between "best bike ever!" and "Holy Crap, how much would a chopper charge by the hour to sling this thing out of the bush?!" It has not missed a beat yet after only 3000 km's, but every ride starts with a little bit of trepidation....
Superdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #8853
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
No disagreements there although the KTM (Touratech) racks add a whole pile of rigidity to the back end. I installed the kit while waiting for the bolts to arrive and it took the slop right out of the tank bolts. With the dual down tubes, it acts like an exoskeleton (to quote an earlier inmate's words) and is probably the best thing I have installed yet to help me sleep at night. Ugly as sin, but what the hell.
Admittedly, after 40 years of boring but predictable Japanese quality, the 2012 690 has me alternating between "best bike ever!" and "Holy Crap, how much would a chopper charge by the hour to sling this thing out of the bush?!" It has not missed a beat yet after only 3000 km's, but every ride starts with a little bit of trepidation....
Chopper evac $800 USD - $2500 USD per hour. Why sling it when you can just toss it in the back of most of the mid-size helicopters out there? My old soon be mine again 690 only almost left someone stranded once (minor electrical problem that was resolved with some investigation) in 20,000 miles and it's a first year model.

v8toilet screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 02:35 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #8854
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 779
WTB: stock rear suspension links

I know that plenty of people here have installed lowering links on their 690's, do any of you still have your original link (in like new condition) that you would be willing to get rid of?

I just replaced my shock bearings (that had been on back order for 2 months!) which got rid of most of my rear suspension slop, but the dogbone bearings also have excessive freeplay. I'm poor these days so I was hoping to find a new/used takeoff for a fair price. Any year E/R/SMC should work.

Please PM me if you have one!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #8855
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
True, but what an opportunity for Rally Raid!

To be honest, the stock tank may be tougher than we think. The boss and I were out on some old logging roads looking for a "lost lake" on the weekend and with the flat light from the gray sky, I managed to pound us into more than a couple of swales cut across the road. I think it did her more damage than the bike. My kidneys were not faring too well wither with the shots she kept providing.
When off-roading I've been jumping the 690 and going through whoops with nearly a full tank of gas as well as having the wolfman top and side racks on it (perhaps that helps ). I have the RR upgraded upper and lower bolts and everything has held together so far. I do worry about it but honestly I've decided to beat the shit out of it and if I find it's limits then I'll know them.

This weekend will be camping gear and off-roading which will be a real test. I haven't heard of the tank failing besides the bolts and I haven't heard of any of the RR bolts failing.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #8856
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
MT43 Trials Tyre on 690

I put an MT43 trials tyre (DOT approved) on the 690 as a bit of an experiment ...

At about 400km, it didn't look as though it would get me home from that ride - central knobs flaking, and a general trackside thumbs down ...

At that point I was running a little over 20psi (we had some section on tar, as well as a fair bit of hard gravel), and I think this was a mistake ...

Unlike a knobby, the tyre really needs to be run on all surfaces at about 10psi - this lets the whole breadth of the tyre stay on the ground - not just the central knobs ...

Having taken the plunge and lowered the pressure to about 10psi I noticed a huge improvement in both handling and knob wear - the pics below show it now at about 2,000km - really not bad considering the weight and HP of the 690, and the speeds it travels at ...

And I'd have to say that it gives the best feeling allround of any rear tyre I've tried - traction on rocks is sensational - can be squirmy on the hard gravel, but way more predictable than the D606 I've been running to date ....

Anyway, an interesting result given the generally poor prognosis at about 400km - this tyre should get me to about 3,000km, which is what I'd generally get out of a D606 - at that point I'll try another one, and this time run it from new at 10psi ...

Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #8857
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
I've yet to put the trials tire on my 690 but I swear by them on my 400. Here in Az there are plenty of rocks and the tire at low psi just motors you up anything. Very impressive.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #8858
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
I have used the MT43 on my 450 EXC for past three seasons for gnarly single track and some in-between dirt/gravel roads. I don't imagine using a knobby on that bike again.

Love it for that application, and not surprised that it has made you a happy boy on the 690 .

A reassuring note....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #8859
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Chopper evac $800 USD - $2500 USD per hour. Why sling it when you can just toss it in the back of most of the mid-size helicopters out there?
Wow that would be a great deal! Is that a real number? If you and your bike were stuck somewhere a 4 wheel vehicle couldn't get to say somewhere in the Grand Canyon would they really do that? "Drop me at Providence and take the bike on to Munn racing!"

I'd love a number for next time I'm there if anyone's got one.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #8860
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
MT43 Trials Tyre on 690

I put an MT43 trials tyre (DOT approved) on the 690 as a bit of an experiment ...

At about 400km, it didn't look as though it would get me home from that ride - central knobs flaking, and a general trackside thumbs down ...

At that point I was running a little over 20psi (we had some section on tar, as well as a fair bit of hard gravel), and I think this was a mistake ...

Unlike a knobby, the tyre really needs to be run on all surfaces at about 10psi - this lets the whole breadth of the tyre stay on the ground - not just the central knobs ...

Having taken the plunge and lowered the pressure to about 10psi I noticed a huge improvement in both handling and knob wear - the pics below show it now at about 2,000km - really not bad considering the weight and HP of the 690, and the speeds it travels at ...

And I'd have to say that it gives the best feeling allround of any rear tyre I've tried - traction on rocks is sensational - can be squirmy on the hard gravel, but way more predictable than the D606 I've been running to date ....

Anyway, an interesting result given the generally poor prognosis at about 400km - this tyre should get me to about 3,000km, which is what I'd generally get out of a D606 - at that point I'll try another one, and this time run it from new at 10psi ...

Trials tires give superior traction in all sorts of terrain...with the exception of rocks covered in mud or wet leaves, deep mud...tacky mud, and some river beds can be a real eye opener. They allow you to climb hills with ease where a traditional knobby tire can make it seem impossible.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #8861
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Triple Clamp Offset

Anyone know what the triple clamp offset is on the stock 690e.
What are the R's offsets.

Who's tried aftermarket triples and what offsets have you tried.

While I like the great braking of the stock front system, it's a little much
in the dirt and I'm considering using the rotor and caliper from a 450sx.

This will reduce the unsprung weight by quite a bit.

Max
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #8862
Swap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
+1 for the Lynx
and you can put the screen in your bag for the track section
Swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #8863
Swap
Adventurer

Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #8864
Swap
Adventurer

and have a lot of gruppy !

https://plus.google.com/photos/10131...CLPnnODnk4GxEA
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #8865
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
MT43 Trials Tyre on 690

Interesting, thanks for posting your results. I put a 43 on this weekend and am running about 13lbs, nice to know it will last that long. I used a trials on my 530 last year in Baja and worked great but didn't last, though was a cheap shinko.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote