Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #9241
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Have you ever seen one of these on a factory team supermoto bike, KTM or from any other brand? If there was a benefit, I would say they'd have them on their bikes....

I don't think flex is an issue as long as the triples are designed correctly, not even for the fastest guys.
Never even seen a pic of a factory KTM sumo race bike.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 11:21 AM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #9242
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Depends on how you want to use it ...

You could forego the exhaust at the start, and just add a foam filter - the motor is very strong with stock exhaust ...

The steering damper helps with deflections, and does stabilise the bike at speed on hard gravel or sand - but, again, you can get away without one and see how you like the natural feel ...

I don't know anyone who can do long rides with the stock seat - even when a good proportion is standing - the Seat Concepts foam / cover work well for all (it seems) who have fitted them - take care with cover choice though - mine is too slippery for my riding (though I'll live with it) ...

Fuel range is an issue for the 690 - I carried a 4L bladder (in a backpack or on the back of the bike) and that worked quite well - good cheap solution - now have the EVO-2 RR tanks, and they make everything much simpler - and free up the bike for carrying other stuff ...

Wind protection matters when it gets cooler - the KTM hardparts screen helps a little bit, but still quite tiring over (e.g.) 400km or so - I'm now looking at the Lynx fairing as a less expensive option than the rally fairings ...

I do a lot of the gravel rides with a bloke on a Tiger - the two bikes have their specialities, and sort of converge on twisty minor gravel roads - the Tiger is all over the 690 for fast dirt touring - the 690 has the upper hand once the roads get tight or descend into fire trails / twin track / etc - that said, I look hungrily at the Tiger - I think it'd be a great bike for the longer rides - an alternative to jumping ship and selling the Tiger would be to get hold of a second-hand 450 or equivalent, and just use that for tighter rides - you might find the enduro geometry and basically frugal set-up of the 690 a bit of a strain for long rides after the Tiger's plush power ...
Excellent response. Just what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #9243
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 804
Concur on this list. I have the Seat Concepts seat that I put on myself. All you really need is a friend and a power stapler. This is the first thing I would do.
I don't ride fast enough in the dirt to need a steering damper so the bike is plenty stable enough for my skill level.
My bike came with an FMF can and I am happy with it and the foam air filter which seals really well to keep dust out of the air box. I have never ridden with the stock can so can't comment on that.
My bike has the 88 degree fan switch. I have never had it over-heat.
For the riding I do the 3.2 gallons is enough with the bike averaging 45mpg.
I did a comparo for BMW MOA magazine between my F800GS and a friends Triumph XC. Bottom line was the BMW is slightly better off-road and the XC has a smoother motor. In two acceleration tests from 4th gear and top gear my F800GS pulled away....not dramatically but definite. We stopped the foolishness at 110.
I don't consider the F800GS/TriumphXC and the 690 in the same class. The BMW and Triumph are interchangeable, but not with the 690. The 690 is WAY better than the other two off-road.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #9244
daveknievel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Anybody know if the hard parts upper fork caps with the preload adjusters for the EXC with fit the 09 enduro R forks? One of my rebound adjusters doesn't bottom out. It keeps spinning. I just serviced my forks, but i think it was bad before. When you turn it in, it wont push the damping rod down.
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #9245
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
ktmmitch: Very helpful, thanks for the info. I appreciate the great support you provide to the 690 community.

Lee...
Thanks,glad to help,we are always looking for "pit fixes" on our rallies and trips abroad,and often have to resort to thinking outside the box,as they say.
I am only just getting back into things after losing our co-founder,Beaney,at the Tuareg Rallye,and his help and ideas are missed,along with his company in the workshop.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #9246
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Thanks,glad to help,we are always looking for "pit fixes" on our rallies and trips abroad,and often have to resort to thinking outside the box,as they say.
I am only just getting back into things after losing our co-founder,Beaney,at the Tuareg Rallye,and his help and ideas are missed,along with his company in the workshop.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #9247
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Much sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
+1

So sorry for your loss Ktmmitch.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #9248
Earlbob
long time nOOB

Oddometer: 6
FI code 9 long 1 short

Hey y'all
long time lurker here, I've always enjoyed the information gathered here. I've had my 2009 690 enduro r for 3 years 13K miles with no problems till now. It started with the fuel pump code. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter per the information found here. Bike wouldn't start. removed the gas checked my connections inside the tank all wires just how I left them connected. Looked around and found the ground connection of four wires on the right side of the tank near the top tank mounting bolts got broke off lifting the tank up. repaired those. Bike started right up. dropped it off the stand and it shut off. Cycled through the start up process I pushed the start button, fired right up. Then the rev's took off up to around 4k. Then back fired and shut off. Started back up seemed to idle fine. I hopped on it. Engine died. It cycled through start up. Started. I bounced up and down it shut off. yada, yada. A couple of times I got 9 short 1 long. I checked all connections. I found nothing out of the ordinary. It started wouldn't shut off with the bounce, I thought it was fixed. NOT, I went for a ride not far. As soon as I got a dirt rode and it was rough it shut off. I turned around and went through the process of on off till I got 3 blocks from home. It would not start. Not fire, just turn over and nothing but 9 short 1 long. I pushed the 3 blocks home.
Anyone here have any idea of what the heck is going on? Money is tight and dealers are 2-3 hours away. It should be a simple fix shouldn't it?
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #9249
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlbob View Post
Hey y'all
long time lurker here, I've always enjoyed the information gathered here. I've had my 2009 690 enduro r for 3 years 13K miles with no problems till now. It started with the fuel pump code. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter per the information found here. Bike wouldn't start. removed the gas checked my connections inside the tank all wires just how I left them connected. Looked around and found the ground connection of four wires on the right side of the tank near the top tank mounting bolts got broke off lifting the tank up. repaired those. Bike started right up. dropped it off the stand and it shut off. Cycled through the start up process I pushed the start button, fired right up. Then the rev's took off up to around 4k. Then back fired and shut off. Started back up seemed to idle fine. I hopped on it. Engine died. It cycled through start up. Started. I bounced up and down it shut off. yada, yada. A couple of times I got 9 short 1 long. I checked all connections. I found nothing out of the ordinary. It started wouldn't shut off with the bounce, I thought it was fixed. NOT, I went for a ride not far. As soon as I got a dirt rode and it was rough it shut off. I turned around and went through the process of on off till I got 3 blocks from home. It would not start. Not fire, just turn over and nothing but 9 short 1 long. I pushed the 3 blocks home.
Anyone here have any idea of what the heck is going on? Money is tight and dealers are 2-3 hours away. It should be a simple fix shouldn't it?
Thanks!
check the ground on the voltage regulator & coil...those have been known trouble spots...
One of my riding buddies had a 2009 that quit running and it eventually was traced to chafed wires in the main harness...
Not easy to find...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #9250
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlbob View Post
A couple of times I got 9 short 1 long.
9 long 1 short is "Can bus communication Error"

My guess is that you have a broken wire or loose connection in your harness. Looks like its time to get familiar with your schematic.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #9251
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
9 long 1 short is "Can bus communication Error"

My guess is that you have a broken wire or loose connection in your harness. Looks like its time to get familiar with your schematic.
I am a rider....and not a mechanically adept individual

I will soon be getting into my tank to install CA pump (preventative) and to externalize fuel filter....

When I read sh#t like this , I panic, have a mild stroke, and think I would rather learn how to be an astronaut and a brain surgeon....than figure out electronics and schematics....

So, I am paying attention

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #9252
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,119
"Looked around and found the ground connection of four wires on the right side of the tank near the top tank mounting bolts got broke off lifting the tank up."

That ground connection is very poorly done from the factory and is a problem waiting to happen if you pivot the tank up.

That is where my problem was but it was only one of the four wires and caused my instrument cluster to not work. Make sure those four wired are well grounded. I just redid the whole connection similar to what Uller did. Bike ran fine otherwise. I went through almost all of the wiring loom and everything else was in good shape after four years.

My guess is that it is the starter relay or the coil connection. The coil connection caused me some problems.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD

Velociraptor screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 10:08 AM
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #9253
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,441
Ged the fuel pump and filter are easy,however my low fuel light has not worked since I replaced the pump
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #9254
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Goose,
I have been in there two years ago to install the Safari tank and everything turned out ok....and Uller's site re: The Job is bookmarked and studied....
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=96

Bobzilla and Uller are friends (both who live too far away for me to lean on their generousity by inviting them over.... ) who have extensive experience with this task....so they will be my first 911 call...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #9255
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Ged the fuel pump and filter are easy,however my low fuel light has not worked since I replaced the pump
That was another wire under the tank you were supposed to remove prior to lifting (or maybe you just didn't reconnect it....)

I know this from experience as I, too, have an nonworking low fuel light.

I wasn't thinking the last time I routed my wiring in that area and routed my low fuel sensor wire under the shock body where you can't see it.

Next time into the tank and "pop". Oh shit, what was that.......

I am resisting spending the $56 to get a new one. I do have a transparent safari tank so it isn't too much of a problem. Just have to remember to look down every now and again and then remember to actually stop for gas when it is noticed. (Don't try to drive all the way home after work on Friday night when you notice the gas is low during lunch on Friday......)
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote