Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #9391
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but it was definitely boiling. The way their fuel taps are setup wouldn't allow for bubbling unless it was boiling. These were not small bubbles either in the left tank it was somewhat violent churning.
He's was asking if there was an imbalance in the volume of fuel in one tank compared to the other and if the "boiling" was simply gas flowing from the tank with more fuel into the tank with less.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #9392
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
Fuel transfer between the Evo tanks is really slow, so its unlikely. In my opinion, there will be signs of heat damage to the lower left tank if the exhaust set-up was the cause. I wrapped heat bandage around the heater and stuck aluminium heat tape to the tank, but I think I was over-cautious.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #9393
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I put exhaust tape on my left side tank, but it came unstuck after 1 or 2 days' riding....
based on the amount of heat coming off my 2012 with stock map...I'd say something is wrong if you're getting enough heat to boil the fuel.
I suppose you could get a cheap industrial thermometer and see exactly what temps you're dealing with..
Rally Raid posted on this thread (I think) that they were having trouble with the Akro header pipe over-heating the left tank, but no info on the stock header pipe
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #9394
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
~23.8-26 celsius (75-80 Fahrenheit). Heavy stop and go traffic the radiator fan was running almost constantly. I filled all three tanks on the bike that morning and had about 30 miles on them. After about 50 minutes riding through stop and go traffic gas was leaking out of the right RR tank vent and cap. The cap was installed tightly.

When I removed the left tank cap I could see the gas level was low and I could see it boiling when I started to take the right cap off gas was pouring out so I retightened the cap, pulled over and let it cool down for five minutes before continuing home. Later in the evening I looked at the tanks again and the left and right tanks had equal amounts of fuel. I had this happen on my 950 adventure when I installed a second radiator fan on the right side.

I'm running the stock header pipe with an FMF Q4 slip o with an EVO-1 airbox and FI map. 2012 690 Enduro at 1830m elevation (6000ft).

I am curious to see if I'll have similar problems on trails in the mountains where my 950 had issues with heat and boiling the gas.

As far as vibrations coming through the tanks it is very annoying, no one else has experienced this? they are not minor; and I'm running a TKC-80 up front and a Metzler Sahara 3 on the back, both are balanced. The stock side panels did not vibrate from what I could tell.
Like you, I had fuel boiling issues when I installed a second fan on my 990. I tried reflective insulating tape on the right tank where the fan output was hitting the tank. The final solution was to fab a deflector for the right fan similar to the deflector used on the left side tank. I'm guessing that the 690 fan needs a deflector so that its output does not go directly on the left side Evo tank. Before I installed the deflector on my right 990 fan, the right tank would get so hot you could not touch it and fuel would boil if it was high enough in the tank to reach the hot portion of the tank.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #9395
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Like you, I had fuel boiling issues when I installed a second fan on my 990. I tried reflective insulating tape on the right tank where the fan output was hitting the tank. The final solution was to fab a deflector for the right fan similar to the deflector used on the left side tank. I'm guessing that the 690 fan needs a deflector so that its output does not go directly on the left side Evo tank. Before I installed the deflector on my right 990 fan, the right tank would get so hot you could not touch it and fuel would boil if it was high enough in the tank to reach the hot portion of the tank.
Yeah, after thinking about it for a bit that might be the case with the 690. I'm going to check it out a bit, though as long as I'm moving it's not a problem; it's only in heavy stop and go traffic. I will need to find a solution anyway since the trails here have lots of slow 5-15mph climbing and generally are not gentle on bikes as far as heat goes.

I also fabbed a deflector for the 950's right side fan and that solved problems on that bike.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #9396
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
Anyone put a 150/18 on the back???
Will it fit?
I ran a 150/90/18 Terraflex on the back for about 1500 miles. It would contact the underside of the tank with a decent hit, but I think that with a more typical 150/70/18 you would have less clearance issues. As far as fitment on the 2.5" wide rim, it fit just fine but is probably a bit more "crowned" than most people prefer.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #9397
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Yeah, after thinking about it for a bit that might be the case with the 690. I'm going to check it out a bit, though as long as I'm moving it's not a problem; it's only in heavy stop and go traffic. I will need to find a solution anyway since the trails here have lots of slow 5-15mph climbing and generally are not gentle on bikes as far as heat goes.

I also fabbed a deflector for the 950's right side fan and that solved problems on that bike.
Right, the boiling only occurs when the fan is on.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #9398
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Trying to find a thread about someone modifying a BD Squadron into a 2012, can anyone toss me a bone as my google-fu is weak and I can't find the info.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #9399
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Trying to find a thread about someone modifying a BD Squadron into a 2012, can anyone toss me a bone as my google-fu is weak and I can't find the info.
This?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=20813018

Also this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=13
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #9400
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Right, the boiling only occurs when the fan is on.
I think that this would make sense.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #9401
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 378
KTM Dealer for Parts

I'm thinking about buying and carrying a spare injector for my 2010 690, is there a reliable dealer that sells & supplies KTM parts over the internet at a reasonable price? I would be shipping to a US address.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #9402
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
I'm thinking about buying and carrying a spare injector for my 2010 690, is there a reliable dealer that sells & supplies KTM parts over the internet at a reasonable price? I would be shipping to a US address.
I just bought a windscreen for my 690R from Surdykey Yamaha. Only $51 (20% off) AND free shipping!
I found out about them from another inmate posting here.

http://www.surdykeyamaha.com/

Looks like $131 from them for the injector.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #9403
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Has berm helpful top many KTM Rodgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
Chip? At Munn Racing http://www.munnracing.comhas been helpful to many KTM riders. They have a good stock and excellent service
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #9404
drunkenrich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Hey guys
Thinking of dumping my 06 drz400s for a 690. What do you guys think honestly? Is this 690 worth the big price tag? What are its advantages? Disadvantages? Must do mods? Thanks for any help in advance

2010 KTM 690 enduro r
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #9405
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Had a big box from ktmtwins sitting in the garage when I got home from work today! Evo1 airbox lid, touratech seat and crashbars, oil filters, 12v outlet and orange valve stem caps :) Adding the evo1 airbox lid definitely makes it a little noisier but man does that beast fly now.I am afraid to put it on the #2 map setting now... Already had the evo1 map and full akro exhaust. Disappointed the crashbars dont fit with the flatlands racing skidplate :( I asked if I had to use the touratech skidplate and they said no but I should have asked if it would work with any skidplate other than stock!
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote