Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #9406
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Well after a few years of faultless running mine's throwing an error code and running oddly (9 long codes, which is something like TPS implausible value.)Thanks all, Jeff
My TPS failed last weekend. Would not hold a steady value (suppose to be set at 0.6). This caused the bike to not idle and run rough. Ended up having to replace it. Yours may just need to be set again if it is the issue.

I'd like to know how many others have had a TPS fail.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #9407
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
Find any info on 2012-13?
I would either post in those threads or contact BD directly.
DoD#1458

gen screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 03:49 AM
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #9408
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
My TPS failed last weekend. Would not hold a steady value (suppose to be set at 0.6). This caused the bike to not idle and run rough. Ended up having to replace it. Yours may just need to be set again if it is the issue.

How are they set? is it a computer thing
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #9409
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:

if it makes you feel any better we had a coolant temperature sensor fail on the rally car a couple of weeks ago and we lost all of our part throttle power, used 8 gallons of fuel in 50 miles of driving, and spent a day trying to figure out why the engine was running so poorly.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #9410
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
How are they set? is it a computer thing
Yes. The dealer of course can do it or you can yourself by downloading TuneECU and buying or making the necessary cable to connect computer to bike.

You'll then be able to read codes, see sensor readings, and read & adjust throttle and fuel maps.

Oh, and you'll need a copy of the service manual for the steps to adjust the TPS. It looks pretty straightforward from what I've seen.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #9411
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Yes. The dealer of course can do it or you can yourself by downloading TuneECU and buying or making the necessary cable to connect computer to bike.

You'll then be able to read codes, see sensor readings, and read & adjust throttle and fuel maps.

Oh, and you'll need a copy of the service manual for the steps to adjust the TPS. It looks pretty straightforward from what I've seen.

Jeff
You can also back probe the conector with a DVM and get the voltage readings that way, like we did before TuneECU was available for the 690, for those that remember that far back
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #9412
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
My TPS was giving spontaneous readings and the bike couldn't idle for more than 3 seconds at a time and ran like crap at just about any throttle opening. That was a few years ago when it was under factory warranty so I took it to the dealer to figure out. They ended up having it for 4+ months before they could figure it out. Replaced the sensor, adjusted APAD/THAD and cleaned the injector and all was well. That was at ~6300 miles and the bike has a bit over 12,000 now.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #9413
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
If anyone out there is running Mitas or Heidenau tires on their 690 and if so how they hold up? Thanks
Put a set of Heidenau K60 for a Euro tour last year - weather ranged from torrential rain in Western Europe to sweltering heat through Eastern Europe. Definitely way better than the Continentals bike came with and feel much more confident in the wet. A good solid 50/50 tyre; but I have not used them in mud or clay, such as I did in Borneo. That being said, I did that trip with the Conti's and I can only imagine that they'd be an improvement. As for wear - they just keep on going. Both have over 9,000km (5,600 miles) and still got plenty tread. Definitely use them again; but YMMV depending on the riding/conditions.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #9414
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
If anyone out there is running Mitas or Heidenau tires on their 690 and if so how they hold up? Thanks
Which Mitas Tyres are you interested in?

E07s hold up well - hard wearing 50:50 tyres ...

E09s hold up about the same as Dunlop 606s - similar application ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #9415
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Have had 2 K60 rears (140/80/18). Like them a lot. got about 7000 klm's out of them. Good on gravel, sand, dirt, average on anything to wet especially after 4000klm when they were getting low on tread. They do square off when they wear and the side walls are pretty stiff making road side tire changes challenging.

Currently running an E07 which was cheaper than the K60 and so far pretty similar in terms of grip but only done 1000ks on it.

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #9416
tacomodo
Trailblaze

Oddometer: 59
Guys, I'm seriously considering buying a 2013 690. Problem is there aren't any dealers with a demo bike anywhere near where I live.

Are there any tall guys here that can tell me how the seating position is? Do you sit like a jockey? I'm just over 2 meters, which google tell me is:
203 centimeters = 6.66010499 feet (6 feet 759⁄64 inches)

Edit: It's 690 Enduro R that I'm considering, just to clear that up
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #9417
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 1,032
Wink tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomodo View Post
Guys, I'm seriously considering buying a 2013 690. Problem is there aren't any dealers with a demo bike anywhere near where I live.

Are there any tall guys here that can tell me how the seating position is? Do you sit like a jockey? I'm just over 2 meters, which google tell me is:

Not that I am that tall (5'10") and it seats me quite well. I have two other friends with 690 who are 6' and 6'1" and they seem to be ok with the seat height. Have done multi-day trips on it also. But as for tall another friend who is 6'7" and rides a 530 big guy on a little bike

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #9418
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Do you sit like a jockey?

2013 enduro R is as high as a 2008 up enduro std.
Higher enduro Rs have been built between 2009 and 2011.

Anyway, yes: you will sit like a jockey as the seat/ footpegs distance on the 690 enduro (it doesn't change on R or non R...) is a little bit on the tight side even for me, at my humble 182 cms.

You can arrange it to your taste and needs with some adjustable foot pegs and a higher (custom made...) seat... Peraphs...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #9419
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:

2 meters = 6'6" tall for those of us in the land of useless units. I am 6'3" tall (1.905 meters) and I have a 2008 690 with stretched suspension and I run the fastway lowering footpegs. I have a 100mm riser and taller bars on the bike and its an ok seating position. The stock riding position is kind of strange compared to many other bikes. The seat is almost level with the bars and the peg position to seat distance is very cramped for us taller riders. I have always dreamed of making some custom foot peg mounts but have yet to do so. The newer bikes are shorter in the suspension department and share the ergoonomics with the other previous years.

This is a good photo of myself on the bike during a rally. I weigh about 95.5Kg before all of my gear. The bike looks small when I am on it

If you can get your footpegs down a bit either with special pegs or with a different mount this helps improve sitting comfort and helps greatly when standing as you can run less of a riser. It also helps keep your overall center of gravity a little lower.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #9420
tacomodo
Trailblaze

Oddometer: 59
Sad to hear, I really had my heart set on a 690 :(

Couple more questions, though

Are there higher seats to be bought?
I'm not sure how high the tallest bar risers are, but is there enough cable length to raise them considerably?
Has anyone tried the swmotech footpegs that can be lowered by 25mm?
Are there links for the rear suspension to be bought that raise the bike perhaps?