User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #931
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Oil leaking from the top of the rebound damping screw

I have a 2010 690 R with the Rally Raid tank and fairing kit. I replaced the stock forks with close chambered sxf forks that came of a KTM 250 sxf. I have begin to notice lately that my right fork is leaking oil from the top of the rebound damping screw. This happens especially if I tip my bike over riding tight technical single track or sometimes just rocky terrain. I also have KTM fork bleeder valves and the one on the left works fine and I can hear the compressed air leaking when I bleed it but the one on the right doesn't. I made sure that fork bleeder valves are hand tight. Does anyone here have any ideas as to why the oil is leaking from the top of the fork ? Thanks in advance.
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #932
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Of course, the 690 Mega is gone when I'm considering buying one. So, now I get to look like the clueless n00b with some very basic questions. Yes, I've tried to search results, but the threads and links are such a disaster I'm not finding my answers.

So. I'd like to humbly ask some basic questions (with the option to follow up) that you can choose to:

1. Answer with helpful information.

b. Answer with FYYFF!

III. Ignore this post, with my apologies for any disruption I may have caused, however inadvertently.

Your choice.

So. I want to buy a used 690, and I obviously want the best value for my money. I understand there are several years available- 2008 to 2012. Some bikes are Rs others are E. Some have orange frames, others black.

I understand one of the differences is the travel of the suspension. What are the other differences?
Assuming I'd pull the bike apart to send the suspension to TT for new springs, revalve, etc based on my healthy weight and unique riding style, would there remain a difference between the R suspension and the E suspension, and what would those differences be?

I understand there are differences between the 08 bikes and subsequent years- what are those differences?

Why are some frames orange, and others black?

Were you, as a 690 expert, buying a lightly used bike, what specific things would you check?

I'm a well-experienced rider, using the bike as intended- mostly open (few rocky single track and rock gardens) off road travel with some pavement connections, and some highway to get to desired riding areas. I don't race, and am of an age that I've nothing to prove. But I enjoy performance- otherwise I'd just buy a WR250R or a DR650 and call it good.

If you were in my Tech8s, what would you buy?

What would be the ideal bike between 6 and 8 grand-ish?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading your response(s).

11485 screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 07:33 PM
11485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #933
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11485 View Post

So. I want to buy a used 690, and I obviously want the best value for my money. I
I understand there are differences between the 08 bikes and subsequent years- what are those differences?

Why are some frames orange, and others black?

The black framed bikes are "E" models....they have a tach/speedo instrument cluster a hi/lo beam headlight, a a slightly horter but stiffer suspension...stiff enough that offroad it really sucks...needs a revalve/respring...but the R really needs it too.

The "R" bikes have the orange frame, longer suspension, simpler speedo/odo, and a really crappy headlight.

I always miss all the little differences but basically they are the same bike other than suspension.

Were you, as a 690 expert, buying a lightly used bike, what specific things would you check?

I'm a well-experienced rider, using the bike as intended- mostly open (few rocky single track and rock gardens) off road travel with some pavement connections, and some highway to get to desired riding areas. I don't race, and am of an age that I've nothing to prove. But I enjoy performance- otherwise I'd just buy a WR250R or a DR650 and call it good.

If you were in my Tech8s, what would you buy?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #934
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I solved the stalling issue through fitting an Accellerator Module. They said it would cure the twitchy throttle as well. I did not believe them, as it was a function of mapping progression, rather than mixture leaness. And it in fact did nothing for the funky throttle.

So, as I was in Cape Town for business, I went to the KTM dealer to see if they had a G2 Cam throttle system. They did in fact (it was just the KTM branded version). However, the youngster at parts asked why I wanted that 1 as they had a KTM progressive throttle tube at a 1/4 of the price.

Part number 69002021100 gets you a plastic orange throttle tube with 2 grips in the pack. The cam profile looks like the 400 profile from G2. It appears it was made for the RC8

Fitment is 10 minutes and now I can even use map 2 (advanced) on technical terrain. I went back to map 3 (std) after proving to myself that I was now an advanced KTM rider .
Have you tried using the G2 going up steep hills yet? I just removed mine recently (G2 throttle tamer which has 400 cam) because it seem that I had to twist it almost full throttle to get up them hills. I also ended up on my ass few time because of this lack of low end power. Other than this it did do a good job smoothing out the funky throttle.I'm thinking their 200 cam would be perfect for our bikes.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #935
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Have you tried using the G2 going up steep hills yet? I just removed mine recently (G2 throttle tamer which has 400 cam) because it seem that I had to twist it almost full throttle to get up them hills. I also ended up on my ass few time because of this lack of low end power. Other than this it did do a good job smoothing out the funky throttle.I'm thinking their 200 cam would be perfect for our bikes.
I had the advanced throttle map selected when I did some loose dune climbs. Was fine. I live in the Kalahari desert. Not many hills around.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #936
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 300

ridepjride screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 12:07 PM
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #937
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,036
Well 1200 km ride over three in the austrailian hi country one flat one loose bolt and a bad case of tap arse witch make the ride home all the more enjoyable with the 690 seat
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #938
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Well 1200 km ride over three in the austrailian hi country one flat one loose bolt and a bad case of tap arse witch make the ride home all the more enjoyable with the 690 seat
Sounds like a good ride. I have to ask (with the risk of prying into personal territory)...what is "tap arse"? Some sort of gastrointestinal disorder?
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #939
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,036
That's monkey butt, tap arse is diarrhea ,the shits, the runs are only a few of it's names you should get my drift
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #940
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Oooo baby.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #941
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
It looks like its smiling
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #942
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,621
My 2c in ORANGE...what else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11485 View Post

I understand there are differences between the 08 bikes and subsequent years- what are those differences? the speedo on the 08's (and some 09's) had problems with clouding...ktm replaced a lot under warranty.

Why are some frames orange, and others black? orange frames are "R" models

Were you, as a 690 expert, buying a lightly used bike, what specific things would you check? service history, air filter upgraded (paper one replaced with foam) after market pipe fitted, mapping orignal or Akra, apart from that the usual chain & sproket wear, fork seals, tires breaks (rear disk wear) etc. A rear rack, metal bash plate would be a bonus

If you were in my Tech8s, what would you buy? 690E

Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #943
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
ok, I have set my race sag at 90mm, moved the forks to 5mm higher in the clamps, I have a safari tank, and the front end still feels like its pushing. Also have the mt21 tire. Just not feeling confident with the front.

any ideas on what to set next?

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #944
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Remove the mt21

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #945
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyah View Post
remove the mt21
+1

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote