Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #9601
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkyote View Post
Rocks on the K60-- rocks like CO scree or rocks like Moab? I hadn't considered this rear tire until you just mentioned it. Tried running D606 and MT21 so far. Meh... they're both OK... can't complain.
I used to run a slick on the rear of my mountain bike and a knob on the front when I used to go to Moab to ride the Slick Rock Trail when I was younger.

When I say rocks I mean reallly coarse sand---up to the size of baby heads and bowling balls. More dirt, scree, loose scree, packed scree, loose gravel, packed gravel in AR. I ran 908's on the 640A until I exhausted my secret stash for all of my riding. Riding in AR cut and chunked 908's on the 640-it didn't actually tear the knobs off, but they were prone to getting cut up more than my liking. After doing a few AR500's the knobs on the 908's were cut and chunked, while after the same AR500 this past spring the K60 on the 690 only had a few negligible cuts and no chunking or missing pieces of rubber knobs.

Like I said, the 606 on the front and K60 on the rear suits me fine on either bike for the riding and terrain I ride.

Dirty
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #9602
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Do they still come with the Metzler 6 Days? I burned through mine in like 600 miles,
I seem to remember the new to me but used '12 690 had MT21's front and rear.

Dirty
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #9603
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
OEM for the Enduro is the TKC-80, no?
Mine came with the Metzler. I think the Euro 690's back then actually came with Trailwings!

I kinda like that Metzler, They worked great off road, but it was pretty slick on pavement but it was also real predictable and fun to slide around on. Probably why it didn't last long. They're like $100 so I never bothered to buy one. Not for only 600 miles of life.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #9604
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
In Europe it comes with Tkc since 2009 (true R)

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #9605
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
In the USA most new 690's I've seen came OEM with the old school MT21's.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #9606
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
KTM 690 Rally and SM Montage

Not sure if you all have seen this before but an interesting comparison

KTM 690 Rally and SM Montage by BillyD

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #9607
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
In the USA most new 690's I've seen came OEM with the old school MT21's.
Ya know, I think that's right, I think it was my 450 EXC that came with the Metz, and the 690 DID come with the MT-21's.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #9608
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
The good and bad....

Picked up the new 690 today. Stormed the entire way up there and back, over 3 hours each way.

Got her home and read the manual for a bit. Changed the bash plate to the Rally Raid. Started to install the radiator guards from Rally Raid but decided to wait since I had heard a few rumblings about them not lining up with the shrouds. May wait until I take the plunge for the EV02 tanks. Also received the upper and lower tank bolts and will make the change after I do the initial break in.
I decided to set the sag on the shock as the height was a bit high and it only had about two inches of sag from the dealer.
Took the weight off the rear wheel and started backing off the spanner nut using a piece of key stock. Got it about 3/16" up and was afraid the spanner nut wouldn't last much longer with the beating so it looks like I will have to remove the shock and adjust it outside of the bike. That sucks.
So I said screw it, I am going for a ride. I take off, from my tip toes no less, and went for a full tank of fuel and about a fifteen mile ride. I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
All in all I love the bike. I can tell it will get stronger and stronger over the next 1000 miles. It's has that new motor feel to it like it needs to seat in.

Oh, and mine had MT-21's.
So now I will need to order the service manual for removing the shock and I guess I need to go ahead and order the heavy duty replacement spanner nut.

Brad
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #9609
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintfish View Post
If I was to put the 300mm adventure shock and modify the forks in my 2012 which standard both have 250mm(???) of travel, would that mean I would have an extra 50mm of ground clearance? which can then be slightly reduced or increased when using the 28mm of adjustment on the rear shock, on top of the height gained from the 300mm shock?

Alternatively, just like the popular kyouba links reduce ground clearance, would it be possible to make a link that is either longer or shorter (which ever one that is opposite to the reducing links)that would increase ground clearance?
If you change to Adventure or Rallye shock with 300mm travel,and increase the forks from 250mm to 300mm,this will give 50mm extra ground clearance,
It is not possible to get more wheel movement by changing the link length,but you can reduce it by either adjustment on our shocks,or a Kuoba link.
At present we run modified EXC forks with most of our Rally conversions,until we get the new,longer cartridge sets from Tractive.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #9610
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I take off, from my tip toes no less, and went for a full tank of fuel and about a fifteen mile ride. I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
All in all I love the bike. I can tell it will get stronger and stronger over the next 1000 miles. It's has that new motor feel to it like it needs to seat in.

Oh, and mine had MT-21's.
So now I will need to order the service manual for removing the shock and I guess I need to go ahead and order the heavy duty replacement spanner nut.

Brad
Well Brad, if you went thru 3 gallons of gas in 15 minutes you have the first 2013 that's running rich. Mine has never died/flamed out on me with either the stock or FMF can I now run with the stock MAP and air filter. I get between 50 and 60 MPG depending on the wind and my right wrist.
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 08:53 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #9611
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Well Brad if you went thru 3 gallons of gas in 15 minutes you have the first 2013 with a rich running problem. I get between 50 and 60 MPG depending on the wind and my right wrist.
Ha! What I said was a fill up of fuel and a 15 mile ride.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #9612
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Ha! What I said was a fill up of fuel and a 15 mile ride.
LOL, thought it was strange but ya never know.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #9613
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We are going over to Tractive's HQ in next few weeks for training,so hope to bring first-off cartridge back.
Price of kit expected to be about 350
That's great - thanks.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #9614
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
Normal, no, does it happen a lot, yes. Could be the dealer didn't do the 15 minute idle routine. Just disconnect the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect it, Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes. See if that helps. If not, then a remap is probably in your future.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #9615
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Normal, no, does it happen a lot, yes. Could be the dealer didn't do the 15 minute idle routine. Just disconnect the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect it, Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes. See if that helps. If not, then a remap is probably in your future.
Thanks for the reply, Albie. I will do the idle reset procedure today. I have Tune ECU but have yet to get the cable. The bike runs great other than the flameout I described.