Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #9841
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #9842
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
my bike ran out of battery the other day 12v only and falling while its running..

the manual I have doesn't mention testing the regulator, only the stator. from other experience of testing regulators, ohm test the diodes being one direction through the regulator.....

the stator of course has continuity through the three yellows and no ground.

which I have that.. testing... is it still the regulator the problem? or can there be a mystery and an experiment in spending cash ?
When I was having my issues with the R/R I found test procedures from another source. Not in the KTM Manual. What I found though was that mine didn't test bad and worked ok until too hot. Then it would cause problems. But, mine was overcharging and not under so I would think if the failure is in your R/R it failed in a different way than mine did.

If it were me, I would upgrade my charging system with the Mosfet R/R with a cost of around $150 depending on which way you want to go with the wiring. Then see where you are at. If it isn't the R/R, and your stator tests out fine, I don't know what else it could be, other than, possibly the battery.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #9843
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
15-48 !!!!!
Thank you sir!

Any sprockets I should aim to buy, or stay away from?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #9844
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Lots of people recommend the OEM/KTM front sprockets because of how the teeth are cut.

For the rear sprockets, it's more about whether you'll be on dirt mostly (where you should be thinking about steel sprockets) or if you'll be mostly on the street (where steel is less of an issue.)
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #9845
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Thank you sir!

Like gen said, KTM/OEM front sprockets and many recommend to use DirtTricks rear steel sprockets. They are light and last a long time.

http://dirttricks.com/product-catego...rear-sprockets
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #9846
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Lots of people recommend the OEM/KTM front sprockets because of how the teeth are cut.

For the rear sprockets, it's more about whether you'll be on dirt mostly (where you should be thinking about steel sprockets) or if you'll be mostly on the street (where steel is less of an issue.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Like gen said, KTM/OEM front sprockets and many recommend to use DirtTricks rear steel sprockets. They are light and last a long time.

http://dirttricks.com/product-catego...rear-sprockets
Thanks everyone for the responses. Another question, will the stock chain work with the 48 tooth sprocket?

Thanks again!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #9847
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
15-48 !!!!!

Why change the rear? I can change the front in about 15 minutes. Without removing the rear tire. I carry a 16 and a 15 for travel. When its getting technical for a while I switch it over to stock. I haven't needed 14 up front yet, but I'm not really riding trees.

Front sprockets are cheap. Rear sprockets like dirt tricks are expensive and last for ever. Why spend a couple hundred dollars to change you rations when you can spend about $75 on 3 different fronts?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #9848
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
When I was having my issues with the R/R I found test procedures from another source. Not in the KTM Manual. What I found though was that mine didn't test bad and worked ok until too hot. Then it would cause problems. But, mine was overcharging and not under so I would think if the failure is in your R/R it failed in a different way than mine did.

If it were me, I would upgrade my charging system with the Mosfet R/R with a cost of around $150 depending on which way you want to go with the wiring. Then see where you are at. If it isn't the R/R, and your stator tests out fine, I don't know what else it could be, other than, possibly the battery.

the battery charged through the AC charger, enough to start the bike.. (do these bikes ever act funny with a semi dead battery)

I'll have to order the v-reg. how is the fit on the Mosfet?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #9849
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
That's a good question. And, any MacGyver tricks for starting the bike when your in the middle of Bum Fuck, Egypt with a dead battery?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #9850
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
That's a good question. And, any MacGyver tricks for starting the bike when your in the middle of Bum Fuck, Egypt with a dead battery?
Activate your SPOT and have a helicopter drop you a new one.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #9851
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
the battery charged through the AC charger, enough to start the bike.. (do these bikes ever act funny with a semi dead battery)

I'll have to order the v-reg. how is the fit on the Mosfet?
Yes, mine was running strange when the battery was shot due to the overcharging. Once I got home and was trying to fix things the battery would not take a full charge and it ran weird too. The bike would keep running but poorly while the gage would shut off and restart with strange readouts on the display. The motor would then die at random times.

The new r/r will not fit in the stock location due to the new connector hitting the coil. I relocated mine to the left side of the bike and simplified the wire routing.

From the mobile...

Uller screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 10:50 PM
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #9852
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
I can only think of two options if you are by yourself.

Carry a smaller lithium battery that can at least give you a couple of starts. Two lithium batteries are lighter than the original by itself.

Or

Carry one of the new solar chargers and slowly recharge your battery.

From the mobile...
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #9853
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Carry one of the new solar chargers and slowly recharge your battery.
Not sure about Egypt, but this should work well in death valley
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #9854
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:

Here is a simple, easy to install voltage monitor that will show you under or over voltage conditions.

or the one Roadstercycle sells or gives away for free if you buy a Mosfet R/R from them.

I recently installed the Mosfet R/R (from Roadstersycle) in my 990S after it was starting to fail at 40,000 miles and it works great. I may keep one of the Mosfet R/R kits handy in the garage for the 690.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #9855
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 246
Been out on the 690 today and it usually starts on the button, but it started taking a few turns to fire up, rode home and got on driveway, stalled the bloody thing, now it just won't fire up! (Yes I have a full tank of fuel), so start with new spark plug??? Bike has been in the shade for 30 mins, it started straight up!

Harty screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 05:11 AM
Harty is offline   Reply With Quote