Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #9856
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Yes, mine was running strange when the battery was shot due to the overcharging. Once I got home and was trying to fix things the battery would not take a full charge and it ran weird too. The bike would keep running but poorly while the gage would shut off and restart with strange readouts on the display. The motor would then die at random times.

The new r/r will not fit in the stock location due to the new connector hitting the coil. I relocated mine to the left side of the bike and simplified the wire routing.

From the mobile...

Well, ordered the Mosfet, now I'm grounded for 10 days or so being in Canuck land... I sure hope this isn't a lesson in spending money. .
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #9857
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
Been out on the 690 today and it usually starts on the button, but it started taking a few turns to fire up, rode home and got on driveway, stalled the bloody thing, now it just won't fire up! (Yes I have a full tank of fuel), so start with new spark plug??? Bike has been in the shade for 30 mins, it started straight up!
Next time this happens, when you try to start the bike listen for the fuel pump prime noise when you turn the key on. If you don't hear the buzz, the bike won't start. Usually waiting a few minutes will bring back the fuel pump prime and then the bike will start. Read this thread. Your fuel pump needs replacing. Most of us run the California Cycleworks pump and some even carry a spare. I haven't heard of a failure of the CA Cycleworks pump yet. Cheers.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #9858
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 937
Laugh Play on words

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
Well, ordered the Mosfet, now I'm grounded for 10 days or so being in Canuck land... I sure hope this isn't a lesson in spending money. .
That sucks about your bike, wish i was closer and could give you a hand or at least pull parts off my working bike and see if that helps .
Also I am sure you are not a grounded type of man

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #9859
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
In the meantime.. you could use just about any R/R to get you out riding. When mine failed in Tajik, I installed an R/R from a 95 kawasaki. It bolts up. Splice the wires and go ride. Its still going 15,000km later.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #9860
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Rear tail rack

I just bought a rear rack for my 690, it seems to fit over the petrol cap area and has a lifting mechnisim, any seen this before and know how to fit it?
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #9861
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I just bought a rear rack for my 690, it seems to fit over the petrol cap area and has a lifting mechnisim, any seen this before and know how to fit it?
Pics would help. Several versions out there.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #9862
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Pics would help. Several versions out there.
Not sure how to post pic, but it seems you remove the grab handles and it fit over where the handles will go COVERING the petrol filler cap, the plate has a lever you pull and it lifts up on a hinge system to allows acces to filler cap.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #9863
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
Top End Oil

Looking at PalmStates 690 above, I see an oil line off the filter cover on the right side. My 2010 does not have this. I assume it pushes oil up to the top end spraying the rockers etc.

Question, can the earlier models be retrofitted for this extra oil? Would I want to do this? Does this help alleviate the cam spalling of previous years?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #9864
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Not sure how to post pic, but it seems you remove the grab handles and it fit over where the handles will go COVERING the petrol filler cap, the plate has a lever you pull and it lifts up on a hinge system to allows acces to filler cap.
Do the mount bars look like this?

KTM 690 SMC/Enduro Rear Top Bracket
KTM Part Number: 76512027050

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #9865
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
I use balancing beads in my tires. My shop installs them with the tires for a modest fee ($15-ish per tire). 2 oz in my tires and they are very smooth at speed.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Beads.aspx
+1!

2 oz's in a 908 and you are good to GO!!!

If your wheel fills up with mud, all bets are off, until the wheel is clean. Same with regular weights.

I even carry 2 oz's in my tool pack in case I loose all the beads from a flat.

Everyone says I am crazy, but I love the Dyna-Beads..

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #9866
DirtJack
Adventurer

Rocker Woes

Reading the discussion of rocker issues a week or so ago and my bike being occasionally hard starting, I began to fear I might have rocker issues too (15,400 miles on my 2008). So I ordered up replacement rockers (they are backordered like others had said). Well I needed to check valve clearance (plus a ton of other maintenance things to prep for a trip to Ouray August 9) anyway, so off with the valve cover.

Some scoring on the outer surface of the rollers. The exhaust valves are outside the upper range (.008 fits, but .009 does not). Intakes are at the upper limit of proper range (.004 and .005). The side clearance of the roller is above .01 on both rollers. Anyone know what the side clearance should be?

Hope I get my replacements before August 9.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 06:42 PM Reason: Correct valve clearance values
Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #9867
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Here is a simple, easy to install voltage monitor that will show you under or over voltage conditions.

These are great. I have them on my 690 and 990. Great to see exactly what is happening to bike voltage levels. You can see all of the indicator levels as you roll up to a stoplight with LEDs on, Euro light on high beam, Heated Grips and the dual fans start to run. Flashing green indicates RR failure. Fortunately haven't seen that one yet.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #9868
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
That sucks about your bike, wish i was closer and could give you a hand or at least pull parts off my working bike and see if that helps .
Also I am sure you are not a grounded type of man

I wish I had a bike to share parts for trouble shooting.....

fuel pump in the spring, v-regulator now... what is up for the fall?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #9869
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Do the mount bars look like this?

KTM 690 SMC/Enduro Rear Top Bracket
KTM Part Number: 76512027050

Nope it is a flat plate the mounts on the holes were the grab handles are the holes closer to the seat has a hinge on the flat plate and the holes near the tail light has a relese spring you pull and lift the flat plate up to get to the filler hole
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #9870
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
Looking at PalmStates 690 above, I see an oil line off the filter cover on the right side. My 2010 does not have this. I assume it pushes oil up to the top end spraying the rockers etc.

Question, can the earlier models be retrofitted for this extra oil? Would I want to do this? Does this help alleviate the cam spalling of previous years?

Inquiring minds want to know.
That is just an extension hose to an oil pressure switch for low pressure warning. The rally bikes had the switch on the filter cover, wonder why the added the extension hose. Not sure if the earlier models have wiring to use this function.