User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #9856
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Transformed.

A couple of months ago I started getting backfires and stalls on my 2012. After advice from here I sanded down the various earthing points around the frame and went around tightening and cleaning all the electrical connections I could find. All was good sort of after that but The idling was strange and the exhaust was popping in slow traffic. Twice while going around tight corners (clutch pulled in and no throttle) the engine simply stopped - it fired up again while I was still moving without any problems.

After the backfire issues I had experienced I had ordered a new injector plus some other bits including a CA Cycleworks pump. The pump was on backorder for some time. I later ordered a couple of new fuel filters.

Anyway, long story short: today I fitted the pump and filter and went for a test ride. JESUS. It's like a different bike. I think I must have had a bad pump, filter or both from new, because the bike has never been so urgent or the throttle more responsive. Idle now holds steady at just under 2,000rpm. The engine doesn't surge or splutter in traffic or anything. It's a joy to ride. I used to enjoy it but it was never anything like this.

When I took the old filter off it was full, and I mean full, of crap. Black silt poured out with a good few metallic bits glinting in it too - I was going to take a pic but my hands were covered in crap. I was going to keep the original pump as a spare, because I didn't realise it had problems - I'll chuck it now and maybe order another CA Cycleworks for a spare.

A heads-up about the hose clips. I ordered my filters from Rally Raid. These are oem and come with a couple of 8.7 oetiker hose clips. They didn't fit my bike. The ones I took off were 10.9 so you need to source these before starting work on your bike. This issue maybe related to the model year though - I'm on a 2012 (2013 might be the same as mine?).

I feel like I've got a brand new bike. I'm off for a beer
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #9857
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
After the backfire issues I had experienced I had ordered a new injector plus some other bits including a CA Cycleworks pump. The pump was on backorder for some time. I later ordered a couple of new fuel filters.

Anyway, long story short: today I fitted the pump and filter and went for a test ride. JESUS. It's like a different bike.

I feel like I've got a brand new bike. I'm off for a beer
Thanks for the good info MeinMotorrad and great you got the bike working well again. Did the latest CA Cycleworks pump have a smooth output tube or did they finally put barbs on it? I've heard of quite a few pressure side hoses slipping off the smooth tube CA Cycleworks pumps after installation. I don't understand why they ever went with a smooth outlet tube, nothing for the hoses to grab. The OEM pumps have barbs.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #9858
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Thanks for the good info MeinMotorrad and great you got the bike working well again. Did the latest CA Cycleworks pump have a smooth output tube or did they finally put barbs on it? I've heard of quite a few pressure side hoses slipping off the smooth tube CA Cycleworks pumps after installation. I don't understand why they ever went with a smooth outlet tube, nothing for the hoses to grab. The OEM pumps have barbs.
I believe that the CA Cycleworks pumps have had a barbed outlet for the last year or so. Maybe two.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #9859
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
The bucking roll is for tower style tanks it might work on the safari but I can't see it working on the stock or rally raid setups.
Thanks, my thoughts exactly.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #9860
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I believe that the CA Cycleworks pumps have had a barbed outlet for the last year or so. Maybe two.
Thanks. I looked them up and called them and they verified their CA Cycleworks pumps Do have barbs, so that's good news. I think I will get one of those as a backup since I've read they are higher spec than what KTM put's in their bikes. Does the OEM inlet pre-filter fit on them? CA Cycleworks doesn't sell the pre-filters.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #9861
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Thanks. I looked them up and called them and they verified their CA Cycleworks pumps Do have barbs, so that's good news. I think I will get one of those as a backup since I've read they are higher spec than what KTM put's in their bikes. Does the OEM inlet pre-filter fit on them? CA Cycleworks doesn't sell the pre-filters.
Yes, I do believe that the OEM Prefilter (if you want to call it that) does fit the CAC pump. However, the OEM Prefilter is simply a mesh screen basket that fits over the end of the pump. It really doesn't filter the fuel at all. It just stops the large plastic bits they left in the tank from running through the pump.

It isn't like the prefilter on the 990s.

See the mesh screen below.

The CAC pump used to come with the filter bag (and a candy bar) but it was a tuff fit on the pump. I use a prefilter from ProFill Australia on mine and I also have one of their pre-filters in the fuel tank opening.

http://www.profill-australia.com/e-store/STORE.html
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #9862
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
. Does the OEM inlet pre-filter fit on them? CA Cycleworks doesn't sell the pre-filters.

Yes... also you might want to have a piece of high pressure hose to go along with it as.. imho.. your not likely to get the OEM fuel line off with out damaging it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #9863
scholz
bush league

Oddometer: 55
Not sure the clearances, but one thing to look at that I noticed one night inspecting after a few beers:

-Check the shaft of the bearing on the rocker arm roller is in place (try pushing shaft out with a pen, etc). Mine fell out when in my hand, and I could see a bit of metal that had fell off that was holding it in place. I had no signs of wear on the roller, but if the roller bearing shaft came out while running I'd have big problems, and lots of needle bearing pieces to find. (note: this was on the exhaust rocker arm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Reading the discussion of rocker issues a week or so ago and my bike being occasionally hard starting, I began to fear I might have rocker issues too (15,400 miles on my 2008). So I ordered up replacement rockers (they are backordered like others had said). Well I needed to check valve clearance (plus a ton of other maintenance things to prep for a trip to Ouray August 9) anyway, so off with the valve cover.

Some scoring on the outer surface of the rollers. The exhaust valves are outside the upper range (.006 fits, but .007 does not). Intakes are in the middle of proper range (.003 and .004). The side clearance of the roller is above .01 on both rollers. Anyone know what the side clearance should be?

Hope I get my replacements before August 9.
scholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #9864
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Yes, I do believe that the OEM Prefilter (if you want to call it that) does fit the CAC pump. However, the OEM Prefilter is simply a mesh screen basket that fits over the end of the pump. It really doesn't filter the fuel at all. It just stops the large plastic bits they left in the tank from running through the pump.

It isn't like the prefilter on the 990s.

See the mesh screen below.

The CAC pump used to come with the filter bag (and a candy bar) but it was a tuff fit on the pump. I use a prefilter from ProFill Australia on mine and I also have one of their pre-filters in the fuel tank opening.

http://www.profill-australia.com/e-store/STORE.html
Thanks. Odd, in their "STORE" nothing works, can't click on anything to buy in two different browsers, hmmm.

Their website also says:
" 2012 MODEL HUSABERG / KTM HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM OF THE HOLE, SO THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE OF BUYING THIS FILTER FOR 2012-2013 BIKES"

so maybe don't need it for the OEM pump but do need it for the CACW pump if I got one?

UPDATE: Missed this on the Profill website...

"Store closed
We are on our winter holiday for 3 weeks. "

cyborg screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 10:31 PM
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #9865
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
Yes... also you might want to have a piece of high pressure hose to go along with it as.. imho.. your not likely to get the OEM fuel line off with out damaging it.
The CAC pump comes with a length of hose and clamps to fit between pump and filter.

Also: I've seen pics people have taken showing their rear plastics taken off and the tank in a vertical position to do the pump replacement. I'm too lazy for this, I just took the back wheel off (found a really nasty score mark on the spacer) no problems doing it this way didn't even have to take the bottom tank bolt out.

MeinMotorrad screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 01:53 AM
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #9866
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
I would like to get more space between the pegs and grips. I've got the BRP mount for the Scotts, and that moved it up a bit, but I'm still a bit cramped standing.

This is a 2013, and I'm not sure the clutch line can stand anymore bar rise.

What's working for you guys?

Thanks
I got Rox risers in conjunction with the Rally Raid mount, so now it is very high (I'm plenty tall with really short arms...). I repositioned the clutch line to outside the suspension (scored a couple of inches worth of clearance) and I flipped the throttle tubes.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #9867
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholz View Post
Not sure the clearances, but one thing to look at that I noticed one night inspecting after a few beers:

-Check the shaft of the bearing on the rocker arm roller is in place (try pushing shaft out with a pen, etc). Mine fell out when in my hand, and I could see a bit of metal that had fell off that was holding it in place. I had no signs of wear on the roller, but if the roller bearing shaft came out while running I'd have big problems, and lots of needle bearing pieces to find. (note: this was on the exhaust rocker arm)
I re-measured the clearances and was able to get a .008 feeler in both exhausts. There is a bit of movement on the exhaust roller shaft but I couldn't push it out yet with finger pressure. Obviously near the catastrophic stage. The intakes are .005 and .004 so these are not as far gone. The bearings have just a hint of roughness when rolled. The cam surfaces seem ok.

Any one have both rockers sitting the bench. If so PM me. I will pay shipping and replace with my new rockers when they come in. Hope to be able to use the 690 in CO starting Aug 9.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #9868
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I got Rox risers in conjunction with the Rally Raid mount, so now it is very high (I'm plenty tall with really short arms...). I repositioned the clutch line to outside the suspension (scored a couple of inches worth of clearance) and I flipped the throttle tubes.
So you moved the clutch line to the back side of the triple clamp so it goes straight out the frame up to the handle bar?

Thanks for the reply.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #9869
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
The CAC pump comes with a length of hose and clamps to fit between pump and filter.

Also: I've seen pics people have taken showing their rear plastics taken off and the tank in a vertical position to do the pump replacement. I'm too lazy for this, I just took the back wheel off (found a really nasty score mark on the spacer) no problems doing it this way didn't even have to take the bottom tank bolt out.
It is better to leave the tank in place as you are doing. When you rotate the tank up these ground wires that connect on the right side of the bike close to and above the upper right tank mount bolt can break. Don't ask me how I know
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #9870
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Thanks. Odd, in their "STORE" nothing works, can't click on anything to buy in two different browsers, hmmm.
it allows me to click on buy now on the paypal button and goes through to paypal to allow me to purchase. So it appears to work. I agree it is a crap website though!!
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote