Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #9916
Okieboy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
[Does anyone make longer throttle cables for the 690? We are working on a project 690 that will use higher flexer bars and risers and I am worried about length of stock cables.]

I got one from Venhill USA. www.venhillusa.com
Okieboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #9917
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,656
Need +3" longer throttle cables. KTM Twins has 4" longer that is on back order.

I've seen this one for the Rally Replica (08-09) but am not sure if it'll fit a FI 08 690E/R? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-T...9b9c8d&vxp=mtr

I called Motion Pro and the guy who was checking parts didn't think it was the same cable. I don't know much about the RR but am thinking they must've been carbed and that's why they won't work?
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #9918
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHands View Post
it allows me to click on buy now on the paypal button and goes through to paypal to allow me to purchase. So it appears to work. I agree it is a crap website though!!
Yes, they emailed me that they are open again. Thanks.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #9919
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
It was closed yesterday but, appears to be open today.

I don't know about the 2012+. Maybe someone with a newer bike can post a pic of the new prefilter assembly.....

Looking at the 2012 microfiche though and it still appears to be a mesh basket. Maybe the hole in the pump is fixed but the prefilters ability to take out finer material is still suspect IMO.
I have the same pump setup on my '11 Berg FE390 and the screen looks small enough to keep out anything that would bother the pump. The smaller stuff is trapped by the multiple fuel filters downstream (main in-tank filter & injector pre-screen on the Berg) not sure exactly what the fuel filters are on the 690 yet.

Scott at Profill did say they stopped making pump pre-filters for the 690's, and only have the ones for the Husaberg FE's, so maybe they aren't exactly the same but I know they can both use the same CA Cycleworks replacement pump.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #9920
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,656
Oops, got a duplicate post going. Anyway, I called KTM twins and they sell various lengths.
Motion Pro KTM 690 Factory Throttle Cables
http://www.ktmtwins.com/motion-pro-k...hrottle-cables

Hey Okieboy2: I can't find anything for KTM on that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Need +3" longer throttle cables. KTM Twins has 4" longer that is on back order.

I've seen this one for the Rally Replica (08-09) but am not sure if it'll fit a FI 08 690E/R? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-T...9b9c8d&vxp=mtr

I called Motion Pro and the guy who was checking parts didn't think it was the same cable. I don't know much about the RR but am thinking they must've been carbed and that's why they won't work?
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #9921
AccelRus MaxiMus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Does anyone make longer throttle cables for the 690?
Not sure which year you have - but for the 12 & 13
Motion Pro will make up a custom set - about 10-11
working days from time of order

Just talked to them the other day. About $70 for the
standard black housing - P/N: 10-0147 - in the length
(longer than stock) that you specify

Call them at (650) 594-9600 to get the custom stuff rolling

AccelRus MaxiMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #9922
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I have the same pump setup on my '11 Berg FE390 and the screen looks small enough to keep out anything that would bother the pump. The smaller stuff is trapped by the multiple fuel filters downstream (main in-tank filter & injector pre-screen on the Berg) not sure exactly what the fuel filters are on the 690 yet.

Scott at Profill did say they stopped making pump pre-filters for the 690's, and only have the ones for the Husaberg FE's, so maybe they aren't exactly the same but I know they can both use the same CA Cycleworks replacement pump.
Part of what I have done is because of the past unreliability of the fuel pump itself, and now, to prolong the life of the CA Cycleworks pump that is in there now.

There were a lot of failures with the early 690 fuel pumps (not any CA Cycleworks pumps from what I recall though) and the prefilter in the tank opening plus the prefilter at the pump are to help extend the life of the pump mainly. Every time I have gone back into my fuel system, the prefilter is rather dirty and it is stuff I don't think the screen would have caught.

Also, back in the day (~2009 maybe) Bobzilla reported that his screen basket had fallen off inside the fuel pump cup and he was running without a prefilter entirely. The Profill Prefilter is a much better fit. Then the lid to the fuel pump cup came off too and his fuel pump was shaking around. That is why I wire tie my lid on now.

The stock system is the mesh screen and in-tank main filter only. Looking at the microfiche there doesn't appear to be the small injector filter on the newer bikes. I do believe the filter comes with a new injector though if you purchase a replacement. There were reports that the small 10 micron injector filter was limiting the fuel flow too much and starving the injector on the 690 so, I think if you use this you need the newer 20 micron version.

I have decided not to use it though as I feel that the two prefilters (cleanable) and my external 10 micron $4 NAPA filter are working pretty good.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #9923
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
Been out on the 690 today and it usually starts on the button, but it started taking a few turns to fire up, rode home and got on driveway, stalled the bloody thing, now it just won't fire up! (Yes I have a full tank of fuel), so start with new spark plug??? Bike has been in the shade for 30 mins, it started straight up!

HARTY, Try a new plug cap - i had the same fault
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #9924
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Looking at the microfiche there doesn't appear to be the small injector filter on the newer bikes. I do believe the filter comes with a new injector though if you purchase a replacement. There were reports that the small 10 micron injector filter was limiting the fuel flow too much and starving the injector on the 690 so, I think if you use this you need the newer 20 micron version.

I have decided not to use it though as I feel that the two prefilters (cleanable) and my external 10 micron $4 NAPA filter are working pretty good.
When I got my new injector it came with a filter (the one I took out didn't). I have read somewhere that the filters that come with replacement injectors are 20 micron - you can distinguish them from the 10 micron by colour: 20 = grey, 10 = white. I'll try to find out where I read this, I can't swear it's true either.

I didn't install it as I didn't know where to put it. I phoned Rally Raid and they said they don't use them as it restricts the engine.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #9925
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,181
As far as fuel pump reliability goes my original went out at 13K miles. I replaced it with an updated OEM pump and OEM filters and it's still working fine 17K miles later. I'm also still using the original injector that I've cleaned once.

FWIW, My original didn't burn up, I actually cut it open and found that the brush wires had broken from the vibration. The pump still would work if I jumped it to 12 volts. The brushes were carbon fiber and the wire was actually molded into it so there was no way to repair it. The commutator is also carbon and this is where all that black gunk people see in the filters comes from.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #9926
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
As far as fuel pump reliability goes my original went out at 13K miles. I replaced it with an updated OEM pump and OEM filters and it's still working fine 17K miles later. I'm also still using the original injector that I've cleaned once.

FWIW, My original didn't burn up, I actually cut it open and found that the brush wires had broken from the vibration. The pump still would work if I jumped it to 12 volts. The brushes were carbon fiber and the wire was actually molded into it so there was no way to repair it. The commutator is also carbon and this is where all that black gunk people see in the filters comes from.
I refuse to pay:

2 81207090000 FILTER KIT $66.99
3 81207088011 FUEL PUMP WITH FLANGE CPL. $525.29

For what I can spend $4 and $129 comparatively.

I never had a stock unit fail either........just didn't want to deal with it when it did and if I had to, I am now prepared to do so in the mountains (no cell service) where I typically ride.

Question for you, how do you disconnect the stock fuel hose connections without destroying them? I never did figure that out.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #9927
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
When I got my new injector it came with a filter (the one I took out didn't). I have read somewhere that the filters that come with replacement injectors are 20 micron - you can distinguish them from the 10 micron by colour: 20 = grey, 10 = white. I'll try to find out where I read this, I can't swear it's true either.

I didn't install it as I didn't know where to put it. I phoned Rally Raid and they said they don't use them as it restricts the engine.
That sounds correct. I probably read the same thing. For some reason, I recall LukasM coming on here and giving us the scoop the last time this was discussed at length in the Wunderfest.

I believe it is supposed to just slide inside the inlet to the injector before you connect the hose.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #9928
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
I refuse to pay:

2 81207090000 FILTER KIT $66.99
3 81207088011 FUEL PUMP WITH FLANGE CPL. $525.29

For what I can spend $4 and $129 comparatively.

I never had a stock unit fail either........just didn't want to deal with it when it did and if I had to, I am now prepared to do so in the mountains (no cell service) where I typically ride.

Question for you, how do you disconnect the stock fuel hose connections without destroying them? I never did figure that out.
I didn't have the choice when I bought mine. Of course I didn't pay anywhere near that much for mine, It was around $300 WITH the filter from Munn Racing. I would buy the CAC pump if I had a failure. I wouldn't buy one just in anticipation of one.

The not so QD's are a PITA to figure out.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #9929
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I didn't have the choice when I bought mine. Of course I didn't pay anywhere near that much for mine, It was around $300 WITH the filter from Munn Racing. I would buy the CAC pump if I had a failure. I wouldn't buy one just in anticipation of one.

The not so QD's are a PITA to figure out.
Those prices were from Munn Racing (before the 15% discount). The "complete" price included the cup, gasket, filter and new hoses from what I saw. It looks different than the ~$300 kit they used to have.

I originally received my CAC pump for free. I wanted to carry a backup pump due to all the problems with the 2008/2009 bikes and didn't want to pay the full KTM price. An inmate suggested the husqvarna pump from CAC. I called them and they hooked me up with one to test, excited that it would fit a new bike.

It worked great, still does. I reported my findings to all and now KTM Twins and Rally Raid both carry them too. Maybe that is why the KTM pump is now $500. They didn't sell as many as planned due to the CAC pump and need to recoup their investment quicker.

They (CAC) have modified the internals from what I hear and added the barbs on the inlet so, I finally bought one just last year. Figured, I owed them...

I don't get to ride as much as you do. I like to do preventative maintenance and/or improvements to stop impending failure (in 2009 I would have considered the Fueling System to be the weakest link on the 690). I find that working on the bike in my garage is much more enjoyable than trailside, during one of my few yearly trips.

Uller screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 05:26 PM
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #9930
Okieboy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Oops, got a duplicate post going. Anyway, I called KTM twins and they sell various lengths.
Motion Pro KTM 690 Factory Throttle Cables
http://www.ktmtwins.com/motion-pro-k...hrottle-cables

Hey Okieboy2: I can't find anything for KTM on that link.
Call them. 888-367-4581 I think his name was Chris. I ordered a longer brake and throttle from him. They can make whatever length you need. The parts come from England so delivery will take at least a week or more.
Okieboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote