Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #10006
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Hi Cord, my TrailTech "KTM" dirtbike map switch came in this weekend.

I took the switch apart....

However being an electronics eng geek, I'll may still consider building an easier to use custom switch up front, or maybe not...
I'm glad you got a 690.

From the mobile...
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #10007
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Hi Cord, my TrailTech "KTM" dirtbike map switch came in this weekend.

I checked the ohms on the switch setting and this is what it reads:

Stock = open/infinity (which is 690: 0 = Poor Fuel = open/infinity)
Mild = 14.9 Kohm (same as 690)
Wild = 6.8 Kohm (same as 690)

Compare to the underseat map switch:

0 = Poor Fuel = open/infinity
1 = Soft(Mild) = 14.9 Kohm
2 = Advanced(Wild) = 6.8 Kohm
3 = Standard = 4.7 Kohm

Based on that the TT switch would give you 3 of the 4 maps:

0 = Poor Fuel = open/infinity
1 = Soft = 14.9 Kohm
2 = Advanced(Wild) = 6.8 Kohm

and you would lose

3 = Standard = 4.7 Kohm

I took the switch apart and it unfortunately does not lend itself mechanically to changing the "Stock"/open position to one with resistance.

The resistors can be changed to give you any 2 of the 690 1,2,3 maps but the TT switch will always have the 3rd position (Stock) at the 690 "0" map.

Not worth the effort and I will be returning the TT map switch. Probably the easiest is what Noah mentioned, moving the underseat rotary switch up to the front, since it's only 2 wires.

However being an electronics eng geek, I'll may still consider building an easier to use custom switch up front, or maybe not...
Build it and let us know! Open a vendors thread and I will be your first customer. Can it be done on the fly if it were produced?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #10008
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Build it and let us know! Open a vendors thread and I will be your first customer. Can it be done on the fly if it were produced?
AFAIK the KTM/Husaberg map changes cannot be done on the fly while the engine is running. However on my Berg FE390, which uses the same KTM dirtbike map switch, while I'm rolling down a trail in "Standard" (the best overall OEM single-trail map on the 390 and probably the 690) and I see a monster hill coming up, I kill the engine while rolling, slide the map switch to "Wild", restart and let 'er rip! That's when it's handy to have an easy-to-use switch up front rather than having to stop, removed a rubber boot and turn a rotary switch with teeny tiny numbers on it to line up with a tiny arrow, put the boot back on and restart.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #10009
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,519
Amen to that!

I'd be customer #2 if you build it.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #10010
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Easy Solution on Relocating Ignition Mapping Switch

You may have seen from my last post that I was unable to find a commercial switch....

Before I wanted to build my own, I explored the problem with my local mechanic. Final solution:

extend the wiring (12 inches) and remount switch on the bike frame. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I actually have it mounted on a bracket (right side) that used to anchor some of the smog system components. I continue to use the rubber cover and don't plan on adding any additional protection for the switch until I am facing the prospect of water crossings....

For me, I'm now always #2 for asphalt and switch to #3 for dirt....
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #10011
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Tinkity tink tink too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Have a 2010 with about 7500 miles that just started an annoying ticking sound when the engine is running. The sound is very similiar to a sound a loose valve lifter would make, although I know this engine has none of those. The sound seems to be coming from under the clutch cover. Do any other 690 owners have this noise or have any idea what it might be? I had a friend that had an old 640 LC4 and that engine had all kinds of these noises, but I never noticed it from this one before. Is it normal? I will be taking the clutch cover off and inspecting unless maybe someone can steer me in another direction. Thanks for any help.
Was going to post regarding noise noted in title but thought I would ask for opinions along with you Bumpaman. I bought my 2009 with 2600 miles in January and have been slowly doing some mods including putting the standard link back in and getting stood up straight. Do have the Kouba link if anyone is interested. Got enough done today to take it out and make a couple of passes on the street. Bike runs strong, starts up immediately, and doesn't do any of the crap people complain about. Given that I put the Uni filter in and swapped for an FMF I guess I should feel lucky. I do have the cable and will re-map if needed. The bad news is that there is this crappy noise that I only hear at idle. It's not the LC-4 tranny noise- I'm used to that having had a 520. I rode it very little before doing the mods but I think I heard that sound before changing to the flatland skid plate. Any thoughts? Did I mention only 2600 miles? I don't want to pull the valve cover...
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #10012
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSolace View Post
Easy Solution on Relocating Ignition Mapping Switch

You may have seen from my last post that I was unable to find a commercial switch....

Before I wanted to build my own, I explored the problem with my local mechanic. Final solution:

extend the wiring (12 inches) and remount switch on the bike frame. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I actually have it mounted on a bracket (right side) that used to anchor some of the smog system components. I continue to use the rubber cover and don't plan on adding any additional protection for the switch until I am facing the prospect of water crossings....

For me, I'm now always #2 for asphalt and switch to #3 for dirt....
That's my dilemma. I do water crossings. It's either the stock location or the bars. Preferably the bars.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #10013
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
That sucks about the tt switch. I guess I will get around to moving the stock switch to the frame by the ignition. So is it just a matter of splicing some wire into the existing wiring?
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #10014
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

While we're on the subject of 'lectrical, do any of you 690 guru's out there know what the rear 32-pin connector pinouts are on the new 2012/13 690 Enduro R's display with tach is?

I now have shop manuals for 690 Enduro/SMC from 2008 to 2013 and the wiring schematics for this bike are some of the worst I've seen from KTM, nothing like the great schematics for my 990 and 390. Miserable to work with and useless to get a full pinout on the P10 "combination instrument" i.e. the display.

I want to install a Tripmaster switch to be able to control Mode and Trip 1 & 2 like I can on the 990 & 390.

I have read claims that the older smaller 690 display 2008-10(?) still has a Tripmaster connector, like the dirtbikes still do, but the 2008 shop manual schematic does not show it either. Anyone actually hooked up a tripmaster on an older 690 and have pictures of the connector and a location?

The display unit and wiring up front on my '13 does not seem to have a 3-pin tripmaster connector anywhere and the schematic also does not show one.

I know that the 2013 Duke DOES have a Tripmaster switch connector because KTM sells a switch for it (Part# 69011971000)
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-2012-201...pmaster-switch

I rode a 2013 690 Duke and it has the same display unit as the 690 Enduro/SMC, so my guess it there's a few more wires going to the display unit, since there's lots of spare unused pins on the 690 Enduro R as you can see from this photo

Now I guess I have to round up a '13 690 Duke schematic or an actual Duke I can open the front mask on to see where they wired it, then add those pins/wires to the Enduro connector and hope the firmware is the same. I'm determined to try and figure this one out unless someone else already has.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #10015
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
That sucks about the tt switch. I guess I will get around to moving the stock switch to the frame by the ignition.
So is it just a matter of splicing some wire into the existing wiring?
Yep, like Noah said, just 2 wires about 20 or 18 gauge (or larger if you want) and it doesn't matter which way you hook them up. The map switch is nothing more than a variable in-line resistor, no polarity.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #10016
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
While we're on the subject of 'lectrical, do any of you 690 guru's out there know what the rear 32-pin connector pinouts are on the new 2012/13 690 Enduro R's display with tach is?

I now have shop manuals for 690 Enduro/SMC from 2008 to 2013 and the wiring schematics for this bike are some of the worst I've seen from KTM, nothing like the great schematics for my 990 and 390. Miserable to work with and useless to get a full pinout on the P10 "combination instrument" i.e. the display.

I want to install a Tripmaster switch to be able to control Mode and Trip 1 & 2 like I can on the 990 & 390.

I have read claims that the older smaller 690 display 2008-10(?) still has a Tripmaster connector, like the dirtbikes still do, but the 2008 shop manual schematic does not show it either. Anyone actually hooked up a tripmaster on an older 690 and have pictures of the connector and a location?

The display unit and wiring up front on my '13 does not seem to have a 3-pin tripmaster connector anywhere and the schematic also does not show one.

I know that the 2013 Duke DOES have a Tripmaster switch connector because KTM sells a switch for it (Part# 69011971000)
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-2012-201...pmaster-switch

I rode a 2013 690 Duke and it has the same display unit as the 690 Enduro/SMC, so my guess it there's a few more wires going to the display unit, since there's lots of spare unused pins on the 690 Enduro R as you can see from this photo

Now I guess I have to round up a '13 690 Duke schematic or an actual Duke I can open the front mask on to see where they wired it, then add those pins/wires to the Enduro connector and hope the firmware is the same. I'm determined to try and figure this one out unless someone else already has.
Good plan and yes, it works. Just take the wiring Diagram from any 09+ 990 adventure and take the same pinouts. I'll look it up if you don't have that diagram. All displays are basically the same and will accept the remote. Getting the little Molex pins is not easy unless you get a box full.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #10017
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,851
Cyborg-please let us know. I had the handlebar switch for the speedo on the 640 and found it to be quite handy.

Then found the same handlebar switch like you did on KTM Twins for the 690 Duke and the LC8 bikes and ordered it up thinking I'd find the behind headlamp connector for the thing-but it's not there.

Hopefully it'll be a fairly straightforward install.

Dirty
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #10018
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:

Actually, the 2008's have the same display as the '12's and 13's.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #10019
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I have wished I could install a switch to toggle between the various modes so would be interested in which pin's if any would allow this to work.

On my other KTM's I have rewired the pass to flash feature to toggle between the various modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Actually, the 2008's have the same display as the '12's and 13's.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #10020
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Good plan and yes, it works. Just take the wiring Diagram from any 09+ 990 adventure and take the same pinouts. I'll look it up if you don't have that diagram. All displays are basically the same and will accept the remote. Getting the little Molex pins is not easy unless you get a box full.
Hi StevenD, I do not have the newer 990 wiring diagrams. My 990 is a 2007 with the older display. Please PM me the 990 information if you have it. Thanks.