Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #10036
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
...Anybody have a good aftermarket mirror setup that works well but is less obtrusive / tucks away when offroad?
Doubletakes are the way to go with the stock mounting arrangement. Having tried both, short RAM Mounts are key for limiting vibration. My only complaint is that adjustments on the fly are not easy. One tip I think we got from Ged awhile back was to coat both the ball and the RAM socket with liquid electrical tape. I've done this and it helps on both fronts.
I've not tried the HDB set-up, but it's next on the list for my SE...
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #10037
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,200
I put score marks on the ball of the mirror to keep it from moving.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #10038
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
[QUOTE=dad2bike;22006319]I put score marks on the ball of the mirror to keep it from moving]

I roughed mine with coarse sandpaper - also works.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #10039
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Ram mount makes what they call their Super Ball. It's textured for limited slip. Works great. Too bad I let it go when I sold the XC.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #10040
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Has anyone ever had this happen???

A few days ago I posted a thread about a ticking noise in my 2010 with 7500 miles. Well, I decided to check the valve clearance and I believe I have found the noise. My exhaust vale clearances were .53mm. 4x the Allowable max clearance. I figured that the only way this could be is that if the rocker shaft or the roller was worn out. I removed the rocker and have found a lot of slop in the roller. I have never read of this happening. it seems that when i have read of rocker trouble, it has been because the roller froze up. Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be any play, whether sideways or up and down in the rollers on the 690. Also, can someone tell me of a good source for these rockers and on these bikes, as the mileage increases, do the valve clearances increase or decrease with this roller rocker system? Thanks so much for the help.
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #10041
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 630
If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful

Keeping this as short as possible (not likely, sorry)

2011 KTM 690 w/ 5,500 miles

Bike has run awesome since i brought it home. *This is not a fuel pump or tank bolt problem (sorry for those who have dealt with that, but you have helped others like myself learn from it and I for one am very very grateful)

Step by step:

Stock for 4k miles - great

installed wings exhaust (rode for couple hundred miles) - awesome

Took a breath, got rid of the emission components entirely, installed RR tanks - ran great

Going on a trip that will cover thousands of miles coming up in September, decided to get the valves checked by a professional and have them map the bike with akro map - great, in spec

Same professional let me know upon pickup that they cleaned/fiddled with my throttle position control sensor.

Bike now stalls after 3 seconds.

Takes about 3-4 times of continued retry's for it to stay running. Once running everything is A ok.

Bike has never failed to start on first try.

I called them up, took the bike back and now they call me to tell me that there is a throttle position emergency fault or something.

"Casey, we found a emergency fault in the throttle postion sensor"

"ok?"

"Casey, in order to start the bike you are going to have hit the starter, then hold the throttle partially open for 30 seconds. The bike will then be fine"

"seriously? I brought the bike to you running and starting on first push. You did a valve check and messed with my TPCS..now I have to hold the the throttle open to start it?"

"yes casey"

I'll get the particulars tomorrow when I pick it up.

The guy I'm talking to is just the middle man. It's a big dealership with many brands. I did make a point to talk with the mechanic prior to any work to gauge him & he was confident, owned a KTM himself (two stroke, mid 90's)

I'm aggravated, but honestly I'm not even trying to point the finger at the dealer...well, it is there meddling that has changed my bike into a prude on startup. But what I mean by that it is, I'm a shitty mechanic and can only blame myself. This is the first time I took it to the dealer. Everything else was done in a garage at my friends house (thanks friend)

long ass explanation. I'm just looking for a link, an exchange of a phone call, a PM, i'll take whatever is given by the community. I just need to figure this out. From what I have read, I'm pretty certain it is something screwy with my throttle position control sensor. Especially since they messed with it, like I said.

They did offer to take the bike back after the weekend (i'm going riding)..but my confidence is not so high with them.
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #10042
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,830
Can you share what dealer that is?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #10043
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
A few days ago I posted a thread about a ticking noise in my 2010 with 7500 miles. Well, I decided to check the valve clearance and I believe I have found the noise. My exhaust vale clearances were .53mm. 4x the Allowable max clearance. I figured that the only way this could be is that if the rocker shaft or the roller was worn out. I removed the rocker and have found a lot of slop in the roller. I have never read of this happening. it seems that when i have read of rocker trouble, it has been because the roller froze up. Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be any play, whether sideways or up and down in the rollers on the 690. Also, can someone tell me of a good source for these rockers and on these bikes, as the mileage increases, do the valve clearances increase or decrease with this roller rocker system? Thanks so much for the help.
It is a known problem which occurs with some frequency to the 690 motors, particularly 2008's. Described here recently in my 2008 and the result after installing new rockers.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #10044
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
It is a known problem which occurs with some frequency to the 690 motors, particularly 2008's. Described here recently in my 2008 and the result after installing new rockers.
Thanks DJ for your response. We're your rollers sloppy. My valve clearances were s far out that I was amazed the bike ran well. Did you get the rollers through your dealer or elsewhere? Should my target clearances be to the.07mm end or the .13mm end? Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #10045
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Just sent my 2013 ER for its 10,000km service

was informed that the rocker arms were having too much free play there for they replaced it for me, which lucky for me, the bike is still under warranty.

another note he mentioned was about my RR foam filter+stock exo setup. The bike is running too lean and my idling is too high. He suggest i change to foam filter with snorkel.

Any thoughts about this? Please advice. Appreciate it!

J

on a side note: due to strict modification laws, i'm having hard time getting an exhaust approved for my vehicle. currently working with the KTM dealer to get the e-approved powerparts exos approved by local authorities.
13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #10046
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
It's Win 7. Don't have Firefox loaded. Maybe I need to give that a try.

Tried my wife's pc, and had the same issue, though she is also Win 7 with IE 10 and we both use the same anti malware software. Usually if Vipre is stopping me from seeing something though, the screen is full of "Vipre boxes" and warnings. What I'm seeing is the header of the web page, but all of the contents just quickly appear and then disappear.
With IE10 open, go to Tools then click F12 Developer Tools and you can select different Browser Modes, like IE9 or IE8 etc. We have to do that at work with some websites to get them to display correctly.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #10047
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
another note he mentioned was about my RR foam filter+stock exo setup. The bike is running too lean and my idling is too high. He suggest i change to foam filter with snorkel.
If you run a foam filter without the snorkel, you get more air than stock making the bike run lean. You must remap. You will get way better performance but your MPG will suffer. Especially if you have aftermarket exhaust. You must remap.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #10048
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
OK Here goes...

cluster .... to remote ...
18 1 (ground anywhere, not actually to 18 on the cluster
20 2 UP connect to ground on push
21 3 DOWN ''' ''
19 4 MODE also push connect to ground.

My apologys!!
I had 02 for UP but that is of course, 20 on the cluster..
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #10049
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
If you run a foam filter without the snorkel, you get more air than stock making the bike run lean. You must remap. You will get way better performance but your MPG will suffer. Especially if you have aftermarket exhaust. You must remap.
i believe he did a remap for me, he mentioned that if it still idle high i should change back to stock air filter. But a spark plug change before remap indicates brown so its good right?

anyone with RR form filter with stock exos having similar situation?
13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #10050
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
There seems to be a worldwide shortage of these exhaust rockers. I have called KTM dealers and parts houses nationwide and all say the intake rockers are available and the exhaust rockers are backordered from KTM until 9/18/13. Almost all of the dealers say that there is not a large problem with 690 valve rockers, but yet none of these rockers are available. HMMMMMMMMMM! Anyway, if anyone knows of a dealer or individual that has an exhaust rocker for sale, please let me know as I was going to use this bike on a big ride the end of August. Thanks for listening to my groaning and moaning.