Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #10141
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 932
trail tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Made some enquiries as to whether the trail tech vapour speedo will fit or can be made to fit my 690. Trail Tech have asked me what size the internal diameter of the cooling hose is...don't suppose anyone has this for an 09 E?
Hay I put one on my bike a year ago after the stock unit gave out.
They have a sensor that can just screw in to the top of the rad on the left hand side, vs having to cut the rad hose. Just be careful screwing it in it is fragile. Also you have to replace a rotor bolt with a magnetic one and the pick up will only have one bolt holding it in place, but it never moved. As roe the rpm sensor it was a pain in the ass wrapping it around the plug wire. Not that I needed to know what the RPM was anyway lol. There is a great write up on how to wire in the low fuel and neutral light but that's on a 08 690e. If you have any questions PM me and I can see what I can do.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #10142
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
With IE10 open, go to Tools then click F12 Developer Tools and you can select different Browser Modes, like IE9 or IE8 etc. We have to do that at work with some websites to get them to display correctly.
Thanks for the reply. Just got back home and gave it a shot. Each time I changed browser mode, the items would appear-sprockets in this case, and then disappear again. I turned off Vipre, and it was no different. Got to be something obvious that I'm missing lol.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #10143
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just got back home and gave it a shot. Each time I changed browser mode, the items would appear-sprockets in this case, and then disappear again. I turned off Vipre, and it was no different. Got to be something obvious that I'm missing lol.
Have you tried it on your phone?
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #10144
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Made some enquiries as to whether the trail tech vapour speedo will fit or can be made to fit my 690. Trail Tech have asked me what size the internal diameter of the cooling hose is...don't suppose anyone has this for an 09 E?
Put the sensor in place of the screw in the left side of the radiator, end leave the rad hoses as they are...

The following is for a '08 E and a TT Vector, but can be used as a guideline:
http://mauriziomarra.altervista.org/...ch_Vector.html
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #10145
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Have you tried it on your phone?
not yet. Will give that a shot. Thank you.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #10146
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Help! 911! Help!

OK, enough of that.

With my DR650 dual sport bike, I do mini adventures 3-4 days, with the tent and luggage, 70% offroad, of that 30% nasty stuff (for a dual sport).
I have been using a DR650, and even with improved suspension, its still a fat pig and handles like an old truck with a bad steering box. So that thing is up for sale.

I also have a 2012 KTM 350 EXCF, which has professionally setup suspension, and its GREAT. I'd ride it everywhere but really, its a plated race bike, and I just hate the thought of loading it with luggage and putting 1000kms on it.

So...

Everything I have been reading and reading says KTM 690 Enduro to me. Light enough for the rough stuff. Good suspension. Enough power for my pavement. Enough power for luggage.

AND there is a 2013 690 Enduro for sale at the shop, and the loan has been approved. BUT, BUT, BUT...

Its brand new, and they wont let me test ride it. This is par for the course where I live, so no amount of bitchin will help matters. Plus I really like the local dealer.

So I am struggling:

(a) try to find someone with a 690 who will let me ride it. or
(b) just pull the trigger - its a modern KTM after-all. If I like my 350, I will like the 690.

Help?!?!

OneEffinName screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 02:52 PM
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #10147
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Help! 911! Help!

OK, enough of that.

With my DR650 dual sport bike, I do mini adventures 3-4 days, with the tent and luggage, 70% offroad, of that 30% nasty stuff (for a dual sport).
I have been using a DR650, and even with improved suspension, its still a fat pig and handles like an old truck with a bad steering box. So that thing is up for sale.

I also have a 2012 KTM 350 EXCF, which has professionally setup suspension, and its GREAT. I'd ride it everywhere but really, its a plated race bike, and I just hate the thought of loading it with luggage and putting 1000kms on it.

So...

Everything I have been reading and reading says KTM 690 Enduro to me. Light enough for the rough stuff. Good suspension. Enough power for my pavement. Enough power for luggage.

AND there is a 2013 690 Enduro for sale at the shop, and the loan has been approved. BUT, BUT, BUT...

They wont let me test ride it. This is par for the course where I live, so no amount of bitchin will help the matters. Plus I really like to local dealer.

So I am struggling:

(a) try to find someone with a 690 who will let me ride it. or
(b) just pull the trigger - its a modern KTM after-all. If I like my 350, I will like the 690.

Help?!?!

It will be all you expect it to be, and more....and different. Other than just plain being a larger bike than the 350/500's, it's taller and carrying it's fuel under the seat definitely shifts the center of gravity rearwards.

I did a 1200 mile dualsport trip on the 690 after owning it 4 days, it was perfect for that.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #10148
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:

The 690 is a bike you'd want to try before buying ...

It's a compromise, like most dual sports, but has more of an emphasis on the off-road end of things ...

You could also consider something like a 500EXC (may be different model names where you are), with a fuel solution and soft luggage fitted without pannier frames - see Wolfman for ideas - that would be a much better offroad bike than the 690 ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #10149
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Its brand new, and they wont let me test ride it. This is par for the course where I live, so no amount of bitchin will help matters.
There is no "Test Ride" that would give you the full picture of capability anyway. A test ride is a put-put down the block. It's not a dual sport ride with bags, bad weather, mud, hills, and all the other crap that goes along with a real ride.

So what would a "Test Ride" prove to you that would make you change your mind one way or the other?

Just curious, not trying to be a prick.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #10150
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Its kind of like a Suzuki 650 but a lot more fun to ride.

Ergonomics on a stock 690 are a bit...odd. bars feel low, leg room is cramped for us taller riders, seat is slighty softer than maple but harder than pine....but nicely shaped to wedge into your ass crack while chafing skin with its pleasure dot seat covering. Power is good but an air filter change, cat converter removal, and efi remap will be desired.

Other wise its a pretty impressive machine.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 04:10 PM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #10151
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
There is no "Test Ride" that would give you the full picture of capability anyway. A test ride is a put-put down the block. It's not a dual sport ride with bags, bad weather, mud, hills, and all the other crap that goes along with a real ride.

So what would a "Test Ride" prove to you that would make you change your mind one way or the other?

Just curious, not trying to be a prick.
I think a test ride would give you a good idea of the feel of the bike ...

Not its capabilities entirely, but an idea of the ergonomics, the feel of the motor, etc ...

By a test ride, I don't mean a putt-putt down the road but at least 30 minutes or so on roads that will let you stretch its legs a bit ...

I came to this bike having failed to find a low-km good-condition beemer 650 X-Challenge - others I know here ride them, and I've always liked them (with some suspension changes) - I rode a few 690s (demo bikes and second hand), and came to understand a bit of what the bike is about - closer to the old Husky TE630 than anything else - very different to the beemer ...

Took me a while to decide that I would go with the 690 and did so understanding its strengths and limitations - in hindsight a good decision for me, although I've spent a lot more on the bike than I had envisaged at the start ...

I wouldn't just hand over the money without trying one and deciding if its the bike you want ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #10152
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
A test ride likely won't be long enough to determine if the following need replacements....
- fuel pump
- regulator
- pro-link suspension

But, might be long enough to burn yourself at least once on the exhaust pipe and realize a 2X4 wrapped in barbed wire is a seat improvement....

and IS long enough to grin with the throttle response and tell yourself ya gotta get this bike

No bike is perfect, but the 690 beats the poop out of all the other 650ish herd.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #10153
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Are you able to remove the cat from the stock exhaust ?

Do you have to cut the exhaust open and then weld it back together?
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #10154
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Are you able to remove the cat from the stock exhaust ?

Do you have to cut the exhaust open and then weld it back together?
I meant replace with aftermarket can.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #10155
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I meant replace with aftermarket can.
oh i was asking separately of what you posted. i have one on the flea market free+shipping....somebody wanted to know how hard it was to remove the cat.....
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote