Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #10141
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Prototype #1. Used a handy little box I had in my parts bin. Rotary switch is waterproof type.
Currently have the map choices the same as the KTM underseat switch:

Low Octane (poor fuel), Standard, Soft, Performance (Low-Std-Mild-Wild)

but can make them in any order I like such as

Low Octane (poor fuel), Soft, Standard, Performance (Low-Mild-Std-Wild)

Your thoughts?
That looks awesome. My only concern would be the rotary switch strength. It would need to have a heavy indent, as in hard to turn, because unless it was mounted in the center of the bar it could get bumped and accidentally switch the map selection.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #10142
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384

This setup works for me. One rotary switch off Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Power-First-Ro...rhf_gw_p_img_9 ), 3 resistors, some wire, and a few connectors.

Switch is "technically" not waterproof, but I have had no problems crossing deep water or after washing the bike.

Cheers,

MrHix

(P.S. Button on top (now moved to the same side as the rotary switch) is for the garage door opener.)
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #10143
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,040
R Shock Needed

Anyone have an R shock for sale or to trade for an E.
With or without a spring.

Thanks, Max
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #10144
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got around to installing a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket. Disappointed to learn that the nut was aluminum.
The 5800 KTM sprocket has the holes for the dampeners but doesn't come dampened? On a brighter note, it's suppose to be good weather tomorrow so I get to try out the new gearing
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #10145
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
That looks awesome. My only concern would be the rotary switch strength. It would need to have a heavy indent, as in hard to turn, because unless it was mounted in the center of the bar it could get bumped and accidentally switch the map selection.
It has a pretty firm indent, enough so that I'm going to give it a try with the typical vibes of the 690. Waiting for some connectors to arrive so that it will be plug 'n play.

The rotary switch itself is quite small and could also be mounted without the box through 1/4" hole somewhere in the front fairing area. Just trying out an idea right now.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #10146
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Nice job cyborg! Not sure where you would mount that though. I would love to have one that can mount like mrhix. I was originally thinking of mounting a 12v outlet there but anything plugged into it would limit the fork rotation. Seems like the perfect place for a map switch.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #10147
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
It has a pretty firm indent, enough so that I'm going to give it a try with the typical vibes of the 690. Waiting for some connectors to arrive so that it will be plug 'n play.

The rotary switch itself is quite small and could also be mounted without the box through 1/4" hole somewhere in the front fairing area. Just trying out an idea right now.
Great! I hope it turns out well, Cyborg. I will be the first in line if you go into production!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #10148
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
In theory you could do it. I did just that on a BMW r1200 collector pipe/cat, and had a really good welder rejoin the parts. It made a nice resonator pipe in that bike.

But the cat in the 690 would leave a void very close to the restriction at the end and the pressure waves bouncing around there would likely have consequences to exhaust flow. Sometime i still toy around with the idea. If you weren't over seas I was thinking about snatching your muffler up to have a spare for experimenting.
i live in the usa.

thx for the info....i have a feeling i'll be throwing the stocker in the garbage....which is ok....
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #10149
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Nice job cyborg! Not sure where you would mount that though. I would love to have one that can mount like mrhix. I was originally thinking of mounting a 12v outlet there but anything plugged into it would limit the fork rotation. Seems like the perfect place for a map switch.
As I mentioned in a post earlier, the switch itself can mount in a bulkhead just like the mrhix install, only difference being it is a smaller switch and waterproof. I may put it in the mrhix spot myself.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #10150
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Well then sign me up! Would be nice to be able to cut out a hole and mount it with a nut or something on the back and maybe have a sticker like you made to put around it. Very grateful for the work your putting into this.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #10151
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Michelin Desert Race tires or Dunlop D908 Rally Raid Enduro tires??? Does one last longer than the other? Any pros and ons I should know about either of them?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #10152
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Desert... soft and produces a dangerous wobble at 90kmh . If bike is loaded then its 120kmh.

It wobbles so much and sudden you have to be really aware.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

fluff34567 screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 03:31 AM
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #10153
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

I have to say that I like the MT-21 tires that came on the bike. I will probably go with a K-60 rear and possibly a TKC-80 front when these wear out.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #10154
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Michelin Desert Race tires or Dunlop D908 Rally Raid Enduro tires??? Does one last longer than the other? Any pros and ons I should know about either of them?
I like the Desert Race rear, not the front. I'm migrating to Mitas E-09 Dakar Rears now but its much of a muchness.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #10155
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,953
I had a busy front end at anything above around 70mph.

Call me lazy, but I've had the bike roughly a year and just now got around to properly setting the sag and it calmed the front end wobbles considerably-now 80 to 85 is good.

With a real live sag scale I set it at 80mm-think it's called race sag measured with the bike on a stand, and with me sitting on the bike fully dressed.

I still might loosen the preload another half turn to see if stability at speed increases any.

Dirty