Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #10936
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Top end is same on both 654cc & 690cc, only difference is stroke, so you only need to change the crank assembly, the piston is the same also.
An easy modification.
Without getting the calculator out, wouldn't 36 cc's worth of stroke put the combustion ratio thru the roof ( or the piston thru the head)? Just seems too simple. Has anyone commented on the difference those 36 cc's make I performance, outta curiosity and all?
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #10937
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Shorter rod on the crank..
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #10938
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
It's that "New Math" stuff.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #10939
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Just installed mine. Be aware that if you're fitting it to the original location you will have to do some rerouting of the hose from the radiator. I've got mine fitted using the Rally Raid Evo 1 bracket that came with the tanks. Even then it's very tight up against the radiator and is touching the frame also, which has me worried about damage from vibes.

MM,
Thanks for the heads up!
I have the RR Evo2 tanks and will make sure everything is good to go.
It is pretty tight over there on the right side behind the rad and fuel tank.
The beauty of this unit is I can pretty much put it anywhere I want.
Hopefully it gets here before I ship out back to work.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #10940
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
shoulda been obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Shorter rod on the crank..
Good call!
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #10941
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 96
15 minute ecu reset

don't know if its been mentioned before, but while doing the 15 minute idle ecu reset its a good idea to put a wet cloth over the headlight to avoid the globe melting heat scars into the plastic lens....bit late for me as I already have a blemish from a previous reset.
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #10942
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Just installed mine. Be aware that if you're fitting it to the original location you will have to do some rerouting of the hose from the radiator. I've got mine fitted using the Rally Raid Evo 1 bracket that came with the tanks. Even then it's very tight up against the radiator and is touching the frame also, which has me worried about damage from vibes.
Do you have a link to where you bought the regulator from?

Thanks,

Nick.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #10943
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
don't know if its been mentioned before, but while doing the 15 minute idle ecu reset its a good idea to put a wet cloth over the headlight to avoid the globe melting heat scars into the plastic lens....bit late for me as I already have a blemish from a previous reset.
Alternatively you can just pull the headlight fuse.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #10944
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 197
Not starting a Battery Thread. It's just a recommendation...

Quote:
Looks like my battery is bad. Any suggestions for an up grade? Less weight would be nice.
+1 on the Shorai. I've got one in my 950SE and, coincidently, I will be putting one in my '09 Duke this evening when I get back home. Weight savings is ~5lbs on the 690 over stock. I had problems with bad cells on their first generation batteries, but the company replaced them without question. Their current design appears rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #10945
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Most folks buy from Roadstercycle:

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

For wiring, many prefer to replace the KTM wiring with the better stuff from Eastern Beaver. The connectors are better than the KTM connectors:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...onnectors.html

I am pretty sure a few folks have documented their replacement of the R/R here. Seth maybe?

Ah, no, it was Uller:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21527131
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro

gen screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 06:47 AM
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #10946
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
To further the discussion I have finally found my solution.

After the intake rocker failure noted below at 14,000km I went in and replaced it for the first time. I measured the lash and it was 0.062mm on the LHS. The RHS was 0.102. The LHS was obviously tight. I rode it anyway as vacation was allotted and I had the itch to go. Fast forward 1,500km later and I noticed the engine ticking once hot. Not the obnoxious sound I heard 1,500km earlier but certainly something was amiss.

Upon getting home from said trip I decided I'd order two new rockers, fulcrum pins and a hotcams 10mm shim kit. I dug into the engine & noted my exhaust valves were still at ~0.10x, intake LHS was about where I left it as was the RHS. But, the intake needle bearing wiggled now; it didn't feel like new. I suspect the tight LHS valve loaded the bearing excessively causing premature wear & hence noise. Certainly not an idea situation in terms of longevity & reliability.

Solution? I replaced both rockers, fulcrum pins and re-shimmed the works. 500km later the bike sounds like new (I have a manual CCT as well). Why did I replace everything? Well, why not? It's inexpensive & now I know exactly where I am with it.

Note: My first failure was with the exhaust rocker a year and 9000km ago. It didn't fail because of an overly tight lash (I'm still using original shims). This I believe was merely a pre-mature failure.

Check your valve lash regularly. If you have a tight valve & a ticking top-end when hot I'm betting you probably have a rocker with some wear. Even with a valve adjustment that noise isn't going away until you replace the rocker itself.

Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
what are you running for valve clearance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
Last week I was on my way to make the run through the Trans-lab on my '11 & the intake rocker bearing bit the dust for me at 14,000km. My exhaust rocker went at about 7,000 last year. I had a pair on order as spares but they hadn't arrived before I departed.

Once home my dealer had received the intake rocker so I replaced and zipped around the Cabot Trail for a lark. By the time I made it back to Halifax the engine was beginning to sound off again. Popped the top and the exhaust rocker is at it again. Motorex 10w60 since birth. Go figure. What am I doing wrong ?
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #10947
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,715
Novamoto-I've been eyeing putting a Manual Cam Chain Tensioner on my 690-what was your reasoning to put one on your bike if you don't mind.

We share the same fix it before it breaks kind of mechanical mentality judging from the post you just made

Dirty
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #10948
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
My 690, when cold, always rattled like a box of rocks until the oil pressure came up. Don't get me wrong, it only did so for a couple of seconds but I knew from what I had read that the CCT was the problem. Like you, I didn't want it to fail and leave me stranded.

I also tend to think that any oil pressure drop (throttle chop) could introduce unwanted slack! The manual CCT is cheap insurance I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Novamoto-I've been eyeing putting a Manual Cam Chain Tensioner on my 690-what was your reasoning to put one on your bike if you don't mind.

We share the same fix it before it breaks kind of mechanical mentality judging from the post you just made

Dirty
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #10949
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post

Thanks,

Nick.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Got mine from http://www.roadstercycle.com

The RR was sent USPS and tracked: ordered it on the 29th or 30th Aug, got to UK customs on the 2nd Sep and then sat there until the 10th, finally got it on the 11th. UK customs VAT charge and Royal Mail handling charges added up to 31 extra

MeinMotorrad screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 08:47 AM Reason: Because my mind isn't what it used to be.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #10950
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Battery upgrade.

Thanks for the recommendations. Turns out it's not my battery that's faulty but my starter motor instead - at least that's what the RAC say. I'll find out more next week. I hope it gets fixed soon, I was supposed to be going to France on it yesterday.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote