Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #11056
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Getting ready to pull the trigger on this kit....

Anyone have any feedback on this company?

Thanks

http://www.omegafibre.net/new-ktm-690-carbon/
The only info I have read about Omega Fibre is regarding the Front Tanks they made for the 950/990. It wasn't good by my recollection. Expensive and prone to breakage. I think it would be an easy search in the Orange Crush Section to find it.

I took a look. Looks basically like a copy of the 450 tank/fairing to me.

Don't think I like some of the finishes of it though. Maybe early pics...

Just zip ties holding the hose with an unsupported valve doesn't seem like a good solution.

I do not like those shut-off valves. They aren't too durable in my experience. Plus, do those cap bolts mean that there are embedded studs sticking out of the bottom of the tank? Seems like a good failure point.

Looks like it.

The tank/damper mount looks like a copy of the Scotts unit. Look at the seat height. If you are shorter that looks like a problem maybe? Doesn't the front of the stock seat mount just behind the keyed ignition switch? Maybe a couple inches above it. In this pic looks like the seat is quite a bit higher than that.

Uller screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 06:52 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #11057
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:

Thanks

I dont like the idea of fiberglass tanks. I tip my 690 over more then i like to admit. I just dont see fiberglass or carbonfiber holdng up to side impact like the plastic tanks do. Espeically in rocks.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #11058
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Thanks
A mate has these tanks on his 990 ...

He laid it down recently, and the lower one shattered ...

It's a big heavy bike, but even so ...

My feeling is that it's hard to go past RR's commitment to design and testing and continual improvement - and their after sales service ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #11059
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
A mate has these tanks on his 990 ...

He laid it down recently, and the lower one shattered ...

It's a big heavy bike, but even so ...

My feeling is that it's hard to go past RR's commitment to design and testing and continual improvement - and their after sales service ...
Agree on the RR products and service. I had a first generation EVO1 tank develop a leak around the petcock and they sent a new one no questions asked for no charge. I am now running the EVO2 tanks and a lot of improvements went into that design. Great product!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #11060
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post

Here are a couple pics of the broken linkage from CordR 's bike. Appears to me to be the same failure as on Average Joe' s bike.

I also got to see the washout that caused it and am now even more concerned. I would think that an impact from going over a waterbar weirdly could cause this.

From the mobile...

So it was my bike that had the failure.

I'd like to try and paint as clear of a picture as possible as I don't want everyone to think they need to replace their linkage if it's an unnecessary thing. I'll tell you from my perspective what type of terrain we covered and you can get an idea if you think it's something that you may want to address for yourself.

We were attempting to do the UTBDR and the COBDR but every single day we had to make 20 different plans to figure out how to deal with the weather. We ended up doing some terrain that was a lot harsher than what the ride was supposed to be.

I'm most likely at best an an average rider on this 690 forum, perhaps not even that. I had more than a few falls, I have the stock 08 suspension with only a couple mods. I also had my 2 weeks of camping luggage at the back of the bike.

We had a few different days where I feel the bike had it's best workout in the 2 years I owned it. One of our rides had a lot of harshness to it so I was undoubtedly slamming the back wheel more than what I'm used to. That said, from what I see on this forum, it's entirely possible most here ride way harder than what I usually do. Hard to say.

I didn't take pics at every opportunity, so some parts were worse than what you see here, and obviously some were better. These are a couple pics of one route that wound through creek, but the road was mostly washed out. It was often easier to ride in the creek.

The final culprit was trying to cross this:

Clearly my back wheel hit the other side pretty hard.

It also turned the 690 into a low rider. Funny, people talk about having trouble flat footing it, but I seemed to not have an issue

So I say all this to suggest that there was probably some metal fatigue happening before the big hit. Should this be the next 'everybody go change this now before it happens to you' type of thing? I don't know. I do know that since it's happened once, I'd buy something else if there was an alternative....I'm spending another $150 for the same piece from KTM.

Perhaps we'll start to see more of this given that the bikes are starting to age a bit (again, mine is an 08, so the first year of production).
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #11061
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
......The final culprit was trying to cross this:

Clearly my back wheel hit the other side pretty hard. .
...that'll do it alright! Riding off-road breaks bikes (and their riders) so need to panic here folks

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #11062
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
So it was my bike that had the failure.

I'd like to try and paint as clear of a picture as possible as I don't want everyone to think they need to replace their linkage if it's an unnecessary thing.

Clearly my back wheel hit the other side pretty hard.

So I say all this to suggest that there was probably some metal fatigue happening before the big hit.

Should this be the next 'everybody go change this now before it happens to you' type of thing?

I do know that since it's happened once, I'd buy something else if there was an alternative....I'm spending another $150 for the same piece from KTM.
CordR-

Maybe you are right and I am making it into a bigger deal than it is however, there have been occurrences of the problem reported for the last year and now two catastrophic failures in what, a month. I looked at the piece that blew out closely. It didn't look like it was a long term fatigue fracture. It just blew out. Also, the bearings and tube weren't, even after being exposed on your ride out, dry, brown or rusty. It looked like used grease you would see in a normal bearing so, I am inclined to believe that it wasn't of the ovaling failure variety.

The problem is, as you later pointed out, is that there isn't an option currently. There isn't really a point to going out and replacing it currently because you would just be putting the same susceptible part in its place. Lets fix that so when you blow it out or wear it through you can replace it with a component that is more durable, has a longer wear life and costs somewhere close to the OEM part. It would also be good insurance for those who are planning on spending an ungodly amount of money for aftermarket 300mm suspension components; that people would likely use to ride the bike even harder and faster than they previously did.

Personally, I try to ride what you were in whenever I get the chance.

I guess that is just my $0.02 though. As I told you the other day, I'm a fix it, before it breaks, kind of guy.

I just had a final thought. Sorry for it but, if you found out that your shock was also damaged, as Average Joe's apparently did, would your opinion change?

Uller screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 12:50 AM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #11063
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
CordR, thanks for the background info.

Can I ask- what does your rear wheel look like? Was it severely dented in the hit that broke the linkage?
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #11064
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Rear Pannier Racks???

I know there is a "Luggage" post around here somewhere, but thought I'd start here:

I'm want soft panniers for my 690. Looking for pannier racks first.

The Tour Tech/KTM racks appear to be make a little better or more robust/heaver built than the Wolfman, possibley because of the double brace going down to the passenger peg area.
Is this an accurate statement?? Is the only diff between the TT and KTM is black steel and Stainless?? How do the Rally Raid compare??

Also, will the Wolfman bags fit well enough on the TT/KTM racks???
Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #11065
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
The Tour Tech/KTM racks appear to be make a little better or more robust/heaver built than the Wolfman, possibley because of the double brace going down to the passenger peg area.
Is this an accurate statement??
yes

Quote:
Is the only diff between the TT and KTM is black steel and Stainless??
The KTM are just powdercoated TT racks. The KTM is made of stainless steel too.
Quote:
yes
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #11066
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
I know there is a "Luggage" post around here somewhere, but thought I'd start here:

I'm want soft panniers for my 690. Looking for pannier racks first.

Is this an accurate statement?? Is the only diff between the TT and KTM is black steel and Stainless?? How do the Rally Raid compare??

This comes up from time to time. There are two KTM racks one is lighter duty and is not significantly better than the Wolfman Rack. The other KTM carrier is heavier and is just the Touratech model painted/powder coated black.

This thread has the answers.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...365169&page=86
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #11067
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
i just recieved 2x 30litre side panier bags from a polish company called 21 brothers. the bags are hand made to order so you can add some exta outside pockets if u want etc they use detachable velcro webbing to attach to the frame and over the seat, for 2 bags it cost 150 euro and thats with a waterproof taped liner. you can get them in many different colours also. i am happy with them and im very critical.
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #11068
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
i just recieved 2x 30litre side panier bags from a polish company called 21 brothers. the bags are hand made to order so you can add some exta outside pockets if u want etc they use detachable velcro webbing to attach to the frame and over the seat, for 2 bags it cost 150 euro and thats with a waterproof taped liner. you can get them in many different colours also. i am happy with them and im very critical.
Got a link? I didn't find anything on them.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #11069
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Soft Luggage and Racks

I use a Coyote and dry bag for the 690/450....and am happy with that set-up (second choice for 690 would be Great Basin bag)....BUT.....from what I have seen, the TT rack is better than Wolfman due to design strength.

And I just got back from a week-long camping offroad ride with Bobzilla who had the Wolfman set-up....it placed the weight behind the rear axle and made for a too-light front end.....and he broke a Fastex (plastic) buckle on Day 2....and is not happy with the ergonomics of the system on his reborn DR650... He is considering Giant Loop Great Basin .... Coyote Bag design is better suited to off-road....Wolfman style bags maybe not so much:

If I went with that type of system, I drool over these bags:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

More expensive than some, but certainly well thought out for serious use.

Just another opinion

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #11070
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
CordR-

The problem is, as you later pointed out, is that there isn't an option currently. There isn't really a point to going out and replacing it currently because you would just be putting the same susceptible part in its place. Lets fix that so when you blow it out or wear it through you can replace it with a component that is more durable, has a longer wear life and costs somewhere close to the OEM part. It would also be good insurance for those who are planning on spending an ungodly amount of money for aftermarket 300mm suspension components; that people would likely use to ride the bike even harder and faster than they previously did.

Hey Uller,

Don't get me wrong....if there was an alternative to the OEM, I'd happily take it since my bike is already in pieces at the moment.

I do think it would be good preventative maintenance for the average rider that seeks out the harder terrain or if someone is uncertain about what terrain they are going to encounter. I just don't want to be the catalyst for people spending money if it is a 'chicken little' situation.

But I do think there is an opportunity for either Kouba or RR to get into this little niche as I'm sure you and I wouldn't be the only ones purchasing it.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote