Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #11056
NickW909
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Anybody know which of the 3 relays under the seat is for the lights?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #11057
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Anybody know which of the 3 relays under the seat is for the lights?

People have reported that those relays get installed in different locations. You can not be guaranteed that your lighting relay is in the same hole as the next guy.

I believe that the best method is to reference the wiring diagram and take a look a the wire colors. At one point, I figured mine out and sketched the relay number into the top of it.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #11058
NickW909
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
People have reported that those relays get installed in different locations. You can not be guaranteed that your lighting relay is in the same hole as the next guy.

I believe that the best method is to reference the wiring diagram and take a look a the wire colors. At one point, I figured mine out and sketched the relay number into the top of it.
Ok, ill take a look tomorrow.

Cheers.

NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #11059
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Suspension Linkage Update

Thought I would report on the Kouba Link Situation...I received a promising response from Norm Kouba and was given permission to post it here.

See Below:

Bradley,
This is the first I have heard of the stock link failing, not sure from the picture what is causing them to break but it could be because the bearings go out first and the resulting slack then hammers it out the rest of the way. Who knows. We have not heard of that problem with our 690 lowering links but not to say it could never happen. The center of eye to center of eye measurement of the stock link is 127 mm's on the 690 Enduro's.
We will look into making one that is Dakar proof but not sure what the pricing will be at this point. Also I would recommend a link that would only lower the rear 3/4"-1" and then run less race sag to get the ride height back up. That way you have more travel left for the big hits and also your riding in a plusher part of the progression. I'll let you know how it is going in a week or so, please remind me if you do not hear from me.
:-)
I could not post this on the forum but feel free to do so. Thanks for your inquiry.
Norm

Norm Kouba
Home of the KoubaLink
www.koubalink.com

----------------------

Seems like we will get somewhere with this. I'll keep you informed with my communication as it comes in. It might not hurt for others who have interest to send Norm an email too so he has a better understanding of the interest. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #11060
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,199
It seems like somebody else in is business has been blocking him from this knowledge. I know for sure that average Joe got a negative response from his request.
Uller in your future com's with norm let him know we are looking at the same level of link as his present one. Just with stock length.
His sag idea is not good for me. I have a 106 spring due to my size. Less sag and I will be taking teeth on washboard.
I will send an email to log my interest.
Very nice of norm to tell us the stock length.
Sent from outside my mind.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #11061
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Fuze Box??

Surley this has been covered, but I don't find anything searching...

But what about a fuze box?? Where or are you guys putting it??

I want some extra lights, heated gripes, and a place to plug in my jacket liner
Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #11062
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
There are two unused fuses in the box. One always hot and one keyed. I ran my auxillary lights through the keyed one. The leads are behind the headlight toward the bottom.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #11063
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Thought I would report on the Kouba Link Situation...I received a promising response from Norm Kouba and was given permission to post it here.

Seems like we will get somewhere with this. I'll keep you informed with my communication as it comes in. It might not hurt for others who have interest to send Norm an email too so he has a better understanding of the interest. Thanks!
Brad,
Thanks for hanging in there with your persistence....your tech-tips have sure helped a bunch of us out here with this orange beast....

Oh....and is a Zerk the same thing as a greasy nipple....my dominatrix wants to know

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #11064
LVaverage joe
Vegas DR690 Rider

Oddometer: 20
Yeeouch!!

Boy, I've been gone a week and haven't been back home for a few hours when Dad2Bike called me and told me to get on this thread. I see why. Uller's broken link looks like Deja-Vu. The bad part about mine is my bike is only a year old, with about 3700 miles on it. Other damage was: bent link shaft, bent swing arm shaft, and bent rear shock. The shock damage could have been done by the ride home due to it being leveraged against the front of the swing arm. I believe the failure of the link was a cumulative thing due to other wash-outs that I have hit in the past. I did another ride last year and when I hit a big rut, I did a massive flying V and was lucky to stay with the bike. About 20 feet before it was a smaller rut that added to the mess. I bent my rear wheel on this one (when my link broke, the rear wheel was fine). Later that same day I hit another one that snapped off one of my mirrors. On all of these I was only going about 30 MPH. They were that hard to see till you were on top of them. Getting a stronger link would be good but then it can work against you. If it's too strong then what else will give? Break the cantilever link, break the lugs off the swing arm, or rip the bolt holes out of the frame where the link mounts. The thing that really pisses me off is the bike is listed as having 9.84 inches of rear wheel travel. All you get is about 8. WTF!!! (and what engineer came up with that last 4 hundredths of an inch of travel) I sure could have used that last 1 and 3/4 inch of travel. Anyway, I've gotten too long winded. Put me down for a new aftermarket link that is competitively priced (I'm not paying for it to be made by Tibetian monks). Moral of this lesson I've learned is that the 690 is a dam good Dual Sport (or light weight Adventure bike). But, it is not a light weight motocross bike. Ride it accordingly.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #11065
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Oh....and is a Zerk the same thing as a greasy nipple....my dominatrix wants to know
One of these days I'm going to ride up there just for a session in your chair. (For those that don't know Ged is a Counselor/Therapist(?) I can't even imagine your responses.

Are you going to do a report on your ride? (other than the melting bag episode....)

Uller screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 10:57 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #11066
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
It seems like somebody else in is business has been blocking him from this knowledge. I know for sure that average Joe got a negative response from his request.
Uller in your future com's with norm let him know we are looking at the same level of link as his present one. Just with stock length.
His sag idea is not good for me. I have a 106 spring due to my size. Less sag and I will be taking teeth on washboard.
I will send an email to log my interest.
Very nice of norm to tell us the stock length.
Sent from outside my mind.
Maybe so, at work, I am said to have a Silver Pen and can be rather convincing sometimes. Perhaps I got past the Minions.

I will do that. Both he and John mentioned that perhaps prolonged wear was the cause of Joe and Cord's failures. I am inclined to disagree. Based upon the tear marks in the cast aluminum and the abundance of grease remaining in the bearing, I believe that his (Cord's) simply broke under force from the most stressful impact possible on the rear wheel; directly below the swing arm. The direction of the force, combined with speed and quite possibly compounded by the weight of luggage as Cyborg mentioned; causes the force put into the bike to rip out the link instead of allowing the suspension to cycle in an upward direction as it is supposed to. Maybe the Chain Guide and Rear Rotor Guards also dug into the ground and pulled back too, making it just that portion of the linkage enduring the entire force of the impact. (I am just theorizing here....)

Perhaps this is wanted in some instances as Joe mentioned above, as the hit could have caused a spectacular donkey kick to the ass, with the seat of the bike; a la, Quinn Cody's fall in the Dakar two years ago. Should that happen though, and you not break your collar bone, you could pick up your bike and ride home, maybe a little slower, but, still ride home. Whereas, if it broke....I have now read of/personally seen: a broken tank, shock and quite a few other bits.

Not to mention the ended trip it now caused. To me, that is quite possibly the worst part, as I only get a couple weeks a year off work and a riding vacation really isn't that easy to put together sometimes. Ending it early is heartbreaking; plus, extra expensive.

Perhaps, secondly, as John and Norm mentioned, you then also have the issue with wear induced stretching of the cast piece due to bearing failure. Possibly caused by lack of maintenance of the bearing alone. Does this mean that yearly maintenance of the 690 is to include removing the swingarm and entire linkage to grease it? With the OEM link being cast aluminum, is it possible to add a Zerk fitting to make maintenance easier? It isn't too hard to drill a hole and tap it. The better question is, is it strong enough to put a hole in it on the backside where it isn't failing from the pulling force these big hits are putting it under.

I should have gotten a degree in engineering instead of construction and I could probably answer these easier...I would most likely be making more money too.

How's that for some Friday night ramblings? I need to get my bike fixed!

Edit: Oh, and the lowering link with sag adjustment doesn't work for me either. I have an 08 and want to get 300 mm suspenders mostly because I have been maxing out my suspension too often lately. Going lower just isn't an option for me and as you mentioned, I need my spring preload due to weight. I'm not quite where you are (spring size wise) but, I do also have an uprated spring (100 I believe) and am needing to put quite a bit of preload into it to limit the bottoming I experience (this includes GL w/ gear too).

Finally, Joe wrote this, "Moral of this lesson I've learned is that the 690 is a dam good Dual Sport (or light weight Adventure bike). But, it is not a light weight motocross bike. Ride it accordingly." Maybe it can be with just a couple (a few, or a lot...) of aftermarket components if that is what you want.

Uller screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 01:57 AM
Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #11067
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
There are two unused fuses in the box. One always hot and one keyed. I ran my auxillary lights through the keyed one. The leads are behind the headlight toward the bottom.

Yes, I knew about those. I'm using one for my GPS. I use the other for LED lights. I suppose I can go straight to the battery for the grips and jacket liner.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #11068
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Yes, I knew about those. I'm using one for my GPS. I use the other for LED lights. I suppose I can go straight to the battery for the grips and jacket liner.
Those are both 10 amp fused. You can run more then one off the same lead/fuse.

You won't be running your LED light, Heated jacket and grips all at the same time.. because that will kill your battery.
(click here.. I explain the output)

My suggestion. Run your LED, GPS, and grips on the "switched" lead. Run you jacket on the non-switched. This way you will never accidentally leave your lights or grips on killing your battery.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah

RoninMoto screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 02:43 AM
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #11069
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Got a link? I didn't find anything on them.
Sure the site is www.21brothers.eu but the bags are not shown on the site yet as I believe the bags are quite new.

The bag has a water bottle holder at the rear and a pouch at the front for whatever else.

Only Improvement I would make is to put the cross supporting straps a bit wider for the 690 but thats not really an issue and for the pannier frame i will put a plastic cutting board just to stop dirt and the bags sagging in.

Apart from that im very happy.

i have no link to the company except being a customer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

fluff34567 screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 03:41 AM
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #11070
LouisPoland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Sure the site is www.21brothers.eu but the bags are not shown on the site yet as I believe the bags are quite new.

The bag has a water bottle holder at the rear and a pouch at the front for whatever else.

Only Improvement I would make is to put the cross supporting straps a bit wider for the 690 but thats not really an issue and for the pannier frame i will put a plastic cutting board just to stop dirt and the bags sagging in.

Apart from that im very happy.

i have no link to the company except being a customer.
I've seen them live. They are very well made. I am considering buying.