Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #11206
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
So i think the bolt failed first
Well, looks like I'm being outnumbered, and your picture is way better than mine.

Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #11207
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
..... I prefer plastics, they are the future.

Yeaah, we heard that before....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #11208
JParanee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
If I may ask would something like the Kouba Link which is machined and not cast help avoid this or because you use the sake bolt etc suffer the same malady

JParanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #11209
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Under typical conditions, such as bike/rider weight and normal riding, I believe this link to be under compression. Only when the front face of the wheel contacts a large immovable object pulling back and up on it, in this case the backside of a ditch, does the link come under a tensional force.

IMO, the broken link exhibits signs of a tension related failure that could only come from the link being pulled backwards (the tension) while the shaft inside the bearing, which is held in place by the bolt, remains fixed.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this, but isn't the link in tension at all times except droop?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #11210
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 327
I think you are correct, J. It would seem that if the comp on the shock was set too hard, and you had a high impact then the slowness of the shock response would put a higher tensile load on the linkage and hardware. The swing arm moves up, pivoting around the "rigid" shock mount and overloading the link pivot..
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #11211
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think you are correct, J. It would seem that if the comp on the shock was set too hard, and you had a high impact then the slowness of the shock response would put a higher tensile load on the linkage and hardware. The swing arm moves up, pivoting around the "rigid" shock mount and overloading the link pivot..
J. maybe I am looking at it wrong from a stress standpoint. I didn't really sit down and diagram it, was more just brainstorming here. It just seems improbable to me to have the bolt and link break from tension alone.

Biped, what you just wrote though is exactly what I was thinking happened in the initial hit. Maybe I didn't describe it properly before.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #11212
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
So i think the bolt failed first which caused the pin to scew in the frame by maybe 2mm. This out of alignment with the shock and swingarm created an elongation on the one side of the link which later failed, see arrows in pic. This fracture then rapidly propogated the length of the link resulting in what you see. I would assume the shaft was wedged in place after the failure before it was removed.
I think this sounds about right. After thinking about this over night here is what i think.

First of all if the bearing was to sieze it would cause the shaft/pin to rotate and the bolt also. By rotating the bolt you'd put a stressing load on the bolt which would cause it to break. After the bolt breaks the shaft/pin and the link itself gets wedged in between the fixing points as it is allowed to rotate slightly. If it gets wedged the joint becomes "fixed" causing bending loads on the link and breaking it.

There should be very little if any bending on the link as the swing arm holds the suspension in line.The link does not stabilize side to side movement.

As for the question how would the Koubalink help avoid this. If the failure is due to the bolt failing then nothing i would think. Also if you rode it home the koubalink would have bashed something else to pieces since it wouldn't break
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #11213
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Someone buy my touratech seat! I dont need it any longer. Selling for $500
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #11214
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,508
I had the inserts in my airbox start to pull out so I fixed the problem by adding a bolt and washer from the inside and now use a nut and washer on the top side.

I also added some soft weather stripping to keep dust from getting into the airbox between the box and the filter.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #11215
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 327
Great idea...

This forum needs a "Like" button.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #11216
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
'14 690's

I know the US won't see '14s until March 2014 but I believe the rest of the world sees them sooner. Anyone in Europe or AU/NZ seen one yet or have any information on any small changes?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #11217
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Great idea...

This forum needs a "Like" button.

Gawd...I sure hope not. Facebook kulture is a virus....please don't turn this site into some tapatalking zombie clone....PLEASE !!!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #11218
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Gawd...I sure hope not. Facebook kulture is a virus....please don't turn this site into some tapatalking zombie clone....PLEASE !!!!!
But it's for the children.
(actually-thank you)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #11219
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
But it's for the children.
(actually-thank you)

Well, let the sandwich grabbers start their own forum and leave ADV to us big kids

Don't be so timid about thanking me.... just donate to My Baja Rescue Fund....(minimum taxable donations of $100.00.... )

Old 09-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #11220
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Well, it looks like it is time for me to eat crow. I PM'ed CordR and asked about what the link looked like just after the impact and he sent me these pictures.

The link and bolt both broke at the same time. It does look to me like there is quite a bit of grease in the bearing still though so I don't think that this was caused by seized bearings but, what do I know....

(maybe I should have asked the question earlier instead of speculating Oh well....)