Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #11431
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

I now have full compression/rebound/preload adjustability on both ends, and springs and valving to rail the whoops should I want to, with nice compliance for the rocky trails.
How does it ride?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #11432
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
How does it ride?
Just got the bike back. I hope to get some dirt in this weekend to test it out, if the weather cooperates. Already snowing on some of the fun trails.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #11433
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:

Just got the bike back. I hope to get some dirt in this weekend to test it out, if the weather cooperates.

Already snowing on some of the fun trails.
We've got the opposite problem - over 100F in western Sydney today - and it's only the middle of spring ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #11434
jm65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:

also KTM 690 Front Preload Adjuster Set:

hi

it's the same adjuster than a EXC ?, if you have the reference of the preload adjuster , it's cool

Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #11435
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm65 View Post
hi

it's the same adjuster than a EXC ?, if you have the reference of the preload adjuster , it's cool

Thanks in advance
KTM twins is selling KTM part number 48600074s9 for the 690.

Looks like it is the same as the 07-12 EXE.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #11436
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Has anyone rebuilt the early 650cc 690's into the current 690cc
motor.
I recall a few posts along those lines but more info will help.

Thanks, Max
Max,
Since KTM achieved the larger CC by stroking, getting a earlier model up to that size would require the newer parts from KTM, IE the shorter connecting rod. Splitting the cases and I don't really know if they just swap out, I would suspect other parts might me needed if even possible.
I did find this outfit that offers big-bore options,

http://www.gw-racing-parts.de/index2...is=2010&lan=en

Let me know if you decide to go this route, I would be interested in a possible multiple purchase to cut down shipping costs across the pond.

More info;
A guy over on SMJ did a big-bore with parts from Mike @ Engine Dynamics here in the States.
I've dealt with Mike before when I used to build engines, top notch guy and shop.
Let me know if you find anything out, I'm swamped at work for the next month, I'm defiantly interested for a winter buildup. My engine is @ 27K and still doing OK. I need to look @ the valve clearances, and was going to swap out the rocker arms at the same time. Might as well dig a bit further. :)
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*

Assfault screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 07:54 AM
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #11437
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Just a quick question. 2012 KTM 690 Enduro R: Is the 90 degree fitting on the radiator cap supposed to be permanently attached to the cap? Mine does plug into the cap, but just a little nudge will cause it to disconnect.

Thanks,

MrHix

Hmm. Maybe it's a 2012 thing. I had the same issue with my 2012. The dealer is supposed to be getting one to me under warranty. I installed the cap off of my 2008, (identical in outer appearance), and have not had a concern since...
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #11438
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Max,
Since KTM achieved the larger CC by stroking, getting a earlier model up to that size would require the newer parts from KTM, IE the shorter connecting rod. Splitting the cases and I don't really know if they just swap out, I would suspect other parts might me needed if even possible.
I did find this outfit that offers big-bore options,

http://www.gw-racing-parts.de/index2...is=2010&lan=en

Let me know if you decide to go this route, I would be interested in a possible multiple purchase to cut down shipping costs across the pond.

More info;
A guy over on SMJ did a big-bore with parts from Mike @ Engine Dynamics here in the States.
I've dealt with Mike before when I used to build engines, top notch guy and shop.
Let me know if you find anything out, I'm swamped at work for the next month, I'm defiantly interested for a winter buildup. My engine is @ 27K and still doing OK. I need to look @ the valve clearances, and was going to swap out the rocker arms at the same time. Might as well dig a bit further. :)
Might be another dude over on SMJ that did this with just a 2012+ crank assembly, but he said there were clearance issues with the counterbalance... I'm not sure if he swapped the CB out with the newer part as well, or what. He's apparently been tied up with other things, and hasn't been all that active lately.

By the way, sold my wrecked 690SMC to another inmate, and focusing my efforts on my 87 XL600R. The head is out with Mike at Engine Dynamics, currently getting new exhaust seats and larger valves...
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #11439
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Hmm. Maybe it's a 2012 thing. I had the same issue with my 2012. The dealer is supposed to be getting one to me under warranty. I installed the cap off of my 2008, (identical in outer appearance), and have not had a concern since...
Thanks BK-RD-RNR,

I'll see what I can get from the dealer.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #11440
DaveInSt.Augustine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Dunlop 908?

Anyone one using the 908rr rear on their 690? I'm curious what kinda of mileage you can get out I them? I ride mostly in sand, they look like they would be better than the 606 in sand. I'm also curious if they're better or worse on the street than the 606? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
DaveInSt.Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #11441
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I found out why there are so many problems with the fuel pump.....

Sorry to any Italian friends I had!!

Here's the old filter with only 3500 miles.

Not sure if anyone else has had the same situation, but if you change the pump, clean you injector and it's pre-filter. After changing the pump I went out for a test ride. Got 20km and the bike died, stopped dead, I thought one of the connectors had come loose in the tank. But turned out to be the injector. Cleaned it and the filter and now all ok.

Not sure if it's right, but the bike seems to pull stronger now??

Nick.
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #11442
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t08 View Post
Anyone one using the 908rr rear on their 690? I'm curious what kinda of mileage you can get out I them? I ride mostly in sand, they look like they would be better than the 606 in sand. I'm also curious if they're better or worse on the street than the 606? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave,
The 908RR would be better (longer lasting) if bike is used on hard surface roads more than soft (sand/off-road)....and is more expensive than the 606.

I have seen 606's delaminate when used at highway speeds for extended ride (i.e. hot weather at 70-80 mph).

My $0.02

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 10:11 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #11443
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I wouldn't bother. For what it would take to stroke out your motor wouldn't be worth the gains. That and the stroked 2012+ engines run much hotter.

It would be a heap cheaper to go the oversize piston route I would think..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Has anyone rebuilt the early 650cc 690's into the current 690cc
motor.
I recall a few posts along those lines but more info will help.

Thanks, Max
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #11444
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Mitas E09 Rear tire fitment

Riders,
I just received my Mitas E09 rear tire (140/18 TL [tubeless]) and it looks really wide. It is designed for a 3.5 rim, but Mitas measures tire width from carcass not the knobs. It looks like it is going to rub chain guard but has lots of swingarm clearance.

Has anybody experience with this size MITAS rear tire on the 690(don't want info about 140/18's in general right now) ???

I liked the 130/18 on my 450 EXC, so it is only a fitment question here:

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-dakar-rear-tire.html

I have not attempted to mount this on the rim yet as I cannot return a tire that has been "used".

I might exchange the 140 for a 130 and not cut the chain guard.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 12:58 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #11445
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Riders,
I just received my Mitas E09 rear tire (140/18 TL [tubeless]) and it looks really wide. It is designed for a 3.5 rim, but Mitas measures tire width from carcass not the knobs. It looks like it is going to rub chain guard but has lots of swingarm clearance.

Has anybody experience with this size MITAS rear tire on the 690(don't want info about 140/18's in general right now) ???

I liked the 130/18 on my 450 EXC, so it is only a fitment question here:

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-dakar-rear-tire.html

I have not attempted to mount this on the rim yet as I cannot return a tire that has been "used".

I might exchange the 140 for a 130 and not cut the chain guard.

The problem with mounting the 140 TL is the rim width is too small on the 690 and forces the tire to crown more.
I mounted a Kenda Big Block on my 690 and it was obvious the side walls were forcing the tread to wrap in more of an arc.
I never tried it in the swing arm to see if it cleared the chain guard.
Took it off and sold it to a friend with a 990...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote