Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #1171
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
IMO; I think butt burn is from latent vibration. More so than seat shape or size. If the fix doesn't solve the vibration, you still have butt burn eventually regardless of your custom seat. I've tried some of those custom seats. I recently added a sheepskin solution for a big trip last September aboard a Yam wr250r. 2500 miles! 14 hour days! Stock seat.

Sheepskin and Nike compression shorts is the answer.
I wrecked a bike and my tailbone last summer so for me it's all about how firm and the seat shape. Custom is the answer. I'm using a Seat Concepts kit now which worked relatively well for me but no big trips. I have the Alaska sheepskin for it but haven't had a chance to use it. I'll wait till spring thaw and give it a go.

And definitely a plus for the proper skivvies.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #1172
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Looking at upgrading to a set of CC twiggs off an sx/xc.
Can anyone who has done this comment on proper spring rate/necessity of a revalve??
I'm certain I could swap springs, but a revalve would have to be done by a pro. $$$$$
Any comments welcome
Thanks guys.
just my .02 but i have done some suspension swaps before and have some success and failures. The problem with doing what you are talking about it is that the settings the pros have for the sx forks will not work with the added weight of your 690 and you will have to do a lot of testing to get them right. 15 years ago i messed with forks and shocks a lot and had some good guideance from a few experts and it was many times of changing the stacks.

I am REALLY happy with the boingers on my 690 after they went to Javier. He hit it right the very first time and I have only had to do minor tweaking a couple of clickers at a time.

might just be cheaper if you are going to use the 690 as a hard core off road bike. oth if your gonna take it to the mx track you may want the upgrade. dont forget the shock

let us know how it works out.
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #1173
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Looking at upgrading to a set of CC twiggs off an sx/xc.
Can anyone who has done this comment on proper spring rate/necessity of a revalve??
I'm certain I could swap springs, but a revalve would have to be done by a pro. $$$$$
Any comments welcome
Thanks guys.
I did it and they worked out real well. I had them lowered 1/2" and added .49 springs and the difference was amazing. Sand whoops at a pretty good pace was nothing, they sucked it ll right up! I have the adapter that you'll need to relocate the speedo pick up if you decide to go that route.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #1174
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I should have went with one of your seats from the start. I've had the bike for 8 months and I'm on the 4th seat iteration and a bunch of $$ lighter.
I'll bug you in the spring if this one doesn't work out....

I'm a pretty harsh product reviewer - ie I think:
- Motoport airmesh sucks (burns thru on a 40 mph slide + is as comfy as as a sandpaper lined condom in the humidity.)
- Less highly of tourtech parts than Bob does
- I don't think 5,000 trouble free miles on the 690 would be amazing (not I ever went that far!)

From my "harsh/high expectations" point of view Renazco seats rock! I did many 10 hour rides on the stock seat & with the Renazco (hence 3 engines ). My butt was slightly uncomforable after 30 minutes and in "mild pain" after 2 hours with the stock seat. With the Renazco it was better after 10 hours than 30 minutes on the stock. That doesn't mean you can ride 20X longer - you just start noticing other things you never noticed before such as your helmet not fitting so well!

My seat wasn't even custom made for me - it was for another customer who I think wanted a more sit down/road biased seat than I would have picked. I don't know if it was just luck or some of Jame's genius but my seat is much better for standing/off road as well. The reason I say maybe it is luck is because the seat has almost a mild hour glass figure as do my calves/knees/lower thighs. The narrow spot in the hour glass fits perfectly with the narrow spot of my legs when standing giving me lots of control over the bike and feeling comfy/secure when standing. I don't know if James plans it that way or that is how it matched up to my legs?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #1175
stef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
seat securing pin

i remember it was quite a discussion in the mega thread, this concern must've been resolved in later models, i guess. can anybody remember a remedy or a good replacement bolt, without ordering a OEM replacement obviously, for securing the front part of the 690 seat. mine has gone missing in action, but the base for my tank bag is holding the front of my seat in place, for now?! has replacement seats such as renazco figured out a new way of securing the seat at the front?
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #1176
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Thanks crank. Good info. I think I'm just gonna swap springs to begin with and see how I like it before dumping a bunch more money into it. I'll buy that bracket if you're not using it.
My suspension guy and I talked over the options and we set everything internally for the middle of the road. Just like life, everything is a compromise

If you're interested, give him a call.....
http://www.solid-performance.com/

Ask for Evan and tell him Aaron from VT sent you. He was a factory mechanic before going out on his own, so he has lots of racing experience. I met him on a DS ride, he had his girl friend on the back of a 990 KTM in some rocky double track
Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #1177
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
i remember it was quite a discussion in the mega thread, this concern must've been resolved in later models, i guess. can anybody remember a remedy or a good replacement bolt, without ordering a OEM replacement obviously, for securing the front part of the 690 seat. mine has gone missing in action, but the base for my tank bag is holding the front of my seat in place, for now?! has replacement seats such as renazco figured out a new way of securing the seat at the front?
The problem is the seat pans are a carbon composite material which is very brittle, even the factory staples weaken the pan, sometimes new seats arrive cracked from the factory.
The front lip is like a potato chip and just a matter of time before they break, not confidence inspiring.
Unfortunately in your case you have few options.

A) Replace the seat pan (KTM sells the entire seat only)
B) Fabricate the seat to accept a Dzus fastner
C) Repair your existing seat with epoxy

On some seats I've been using a special epoxy coating that is like a second skin to the seat pan. Should the seat pan crack the second skin will keep things in place.
Not quite sure why KTM used this material for the pans other then cost savings, a flexible Polypropylene is best.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #1178
ABuck99

Oddometer: 486
+1 on Javier @ Trail Tricks- he knows KTM suspension, and also the 690 very well. My 690E is a different bike since the suspension work- night & day. Its kind of expensive but I think well worth the investment-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
just my .02 but i have done some suspension swaps before and have some success and failures. The problem with doing what you are talking about it is that the settings the pros have for the sx forks will not work with the added weight of your 690 and you will have to do a lot of testing to get them right. 15 years ago i messed with forks and shocks a lot and had some good guideance from a few experts and it was many times of changing the stacks.

I am REALLY happy with the boingers on my 690 after they went to Javier. He hit it right the very first time and I have only had to do minor tweaking a couple of clickers at a time.

might just be cheaper if you are going to use the 690 as a hard core off road bike. oth if your gonna take it to the mx track you may want the upgrade. dont forget the shock

let us know how it works out.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #1179
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

hey crankshaft
ck your pm on the clutch slave
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #1180
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
hey crankshaft ck your pm on the clutch slave
Euh !??

You haven't worn out the other one yet ???

Paul Jr 8
Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #1181
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Alternator load?

I'm sure this was discussed in the megathread but I since that's gone, I have a question about how much load with additional electronics people have been able to get away with without killing the battery.

I didn't intend for my 08 690E model to be my only bike, but for now it is.

I'm looking at heated gear (gloves and jacket liner) to get through the next couple months. I haven't done any lighting upgrades yet or connected a gps/other things that draw power.

I'm trying to get a gage on what seems to be an acceptable 'real world' amount that people have used.

Realistically I would see heated gloves, jacket liner and a gps for spring/fall rides as a regular item. I'm guessing that would be ok, but not much more.

For anyone that overloaded, how much draw did you have at the time?

Thanks in advance.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #1182
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
On the forks front, I also went the sxf forks route and fitted 2006 250 sxf forks on my 2008 690e. My reasoning was that I wanted softer fork springs and it was nearly the same price to swap the whole fork and swapping forks gives you more spring choice (the e spring length being strange). So far my forks are about 20mm up the clamps but the front is still riding high compared to stock (probably different if you start with an R). I think my forks need to come up further yet but I have found the bike a lot more drivable but the rear still needs work.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #1183
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
I'm sure this was discussed in the megathread but I since that's gone, I have a question about how much load with additional electronics people have been able to get away with without killing the battery.

I didn't intend for my 08 690E model to be my only bike, but for now it is.

I'm looking at heated gear (gloves and jacket liner) to get through the next couple months. I haven't done any lighting upgrades yet or connected a gps/other things that draw power.

I'm trying to get a gage on what seems to be an acceptable 'real world' amount that people have used.

Realistically I would see heated gloves, jacket liner and a gps for spring/fall rides as a regular item. I'm guessing that would be ok, but not much more.

For anyone that overloaded, how much draw did you have at the time?

Thanks in advance.

Cord
The output is 224w.
I remember this discussion from the big thread and believe the consensus was that we've safely got about 100w of additional accessory load before there may be charging issues.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #1184
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Anyone doing rewinds on this for more juice?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #1185
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Euh !??

You haven't worn out the other one yet ???

Paul Jr 8
no but my buddy missed the buy and wants one
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750