Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #11956
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 911
Got to spend some quality time last weekend with my recently acquired 08, did over 600 miles of Alabama backroads, highways, forest trails and some rocky jeep trail thrown in for good measure. Really enjoying this bike, it ran flawless all weekend and took everything I threw at it with ease. I revalved/resprung the front end and externalized the fuel filter a couple weeks ago, got a seat on order now. The bike got better mileage than I expected on the trip, worst tank was 60 mpg and the best was 66 mpg, currently has a Wings slip on, stock paper air filter and the original fuel map. I'm planning to install a Uni filter and I'm concerned that the mixture is/will be lean. Would like to hear your thoughts whether a remap is necessary.

My buddy's 2013 in the foreground.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #11957
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
The bike got better mileage than I expected on the trip, worst tank was 60 mpg and the best was 66 mpg, currently has a Wings slip on, stock paper air filter and the original fuel map. I'm planning to install a Uni filter and I'm concerned that the mixture is/will be lean. Would like to hear your thoughts whether a remap is necessary.

I should add that the 2013 690 with a slip on and the stock map was using about 15% more fuel between gas stops on this trip.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #11958
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB450 View Post
Also saw the 0 feedback.
If you are paying with Paypal using your credit card, who cares? Double insurance that you are not going to get burned so there is basically no risk.

A KTM 690 billet slave cylinder is also not a typical product that Nigerian scammers would use....

On another note, I finally joined the 690 club!!

Thanks to John Mitchinson from Rally Raid UK I was able to pick up this very nice pre-farkled 2012 model from KTM Austria. It has quite a bit of history behind it, as it was used last year by Darren Hinginson from Team Continental Drift who rode from London to Sydney on KTM 690s. They've got a nice video series on Youtube if you want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3fDg7f2xPY

It would be pretty much ready to go again, but I'm going to rip it apart and do some more mods and upgrades to suit my own needs better. In less than 2 months time I'm going to ship it to either Santiago or Buenos Aires, and then ride it down to Tierra del Fuego before heading north across all of South and Cental America to finally arrive in New York some time in the late spring / early summer.

Glad to finally be part of the gang!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #11959
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
On another note, I finally joined the 690 club!!

Congrats on the new ride!!!
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #11960
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 244
FYI: Leaky Airbox Bulletin

I don't recall reading about this here, so I thought I'd ring the bell. I was at my local KTM shop this past week when they mentioned there was a bulletin out saying that any stock 690 airbox with a mfg. date lower than 9/12 needed to be replaced due to possible leaking.

The stamp is on the right side of the box on the lip where the filter gasket seats:

I didn't ask what model years are involved, but it certainly applies to 2012s.

Monterey_BS screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 03:32 PM
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #11961
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I noted the lid on my 2011 didn't seal very well when I bought mine new. I used a torch to soften the plastic and reshape it actually. It would be nice if there was a recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
I don't recall reading about this here, so I thought I'd ring the bell. I was at my local KTM shop (Moore & Son) this past week when Tom (mech) mentioned there was a bulletin out saying that any stock 690 airbox with a mfg. date lower than 9/12 needed to be replaced due to possible leaking.

The stamp is on the right side of the box on the lip where the filter gasket seats:

I didn't ask what model years are involved, but it certainly applies to 2012s.
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #11962
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
I noted the lid on my 2011 didn't seal very well when I bought mine new. I used a torch to soften the plastic and reshape it actually. It would be nice if there was a recall
Sorry, that's my point. There is a recall and mine is on the way.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #11963
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
My 2013 has a date of 2/10 on the air box. Apparently they've had them sitting around for a while.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #11964
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Can anyone provide a "KTM corporate" confirmation of the alleged recall to politely present to my dealer who is in denial?

Thanks in advance

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #11965
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Can anyone provide a "KTM corporate" confirmation of the alleged recall to politely present to my dealer who is in denial?

Thanks in advance
I can't, Ged, but I did see the bulletin in the shop. Maybe it's a Canada thing. I guess I should have waited for the parts to show up before raising the flag... I'm also not certain of how bulletins relate technically/legally to recalls. I may have been using the term too broadly. In fact, the only KTM recall notice I've ever received was for a bizarre emissions sticker replacement.
All I really know is that I've been told there's a problem, there's a fix, and there's no charge to me.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #11966
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,078
Has anybody successfully installed your new Dakar Kouba Link?

I can't get the "Axle" thru. It stops at the second bearing. I can bang it thru with a mallet. However, nothing will rotate there is so much tension. Same thing from either side.

With his new design the inner and outer bearing appear to be in different pieces.

I hope it was just mine and not a design failure.

This SUX. My bike is sitting in pieces.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #11967
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
....This SUX. My bike is sitting in pieces.
Bummer....beta stage testing. Good luck.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #11968
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Has anybody successfully installed your new Dakar Kouba Link?

I can't get the "Axle" thru. It stops at the second bearing. I can bang it thru with a mallet. However, nothing will rotate there is so much tension. Same thing from either side.

With his new design the inner and outer bearing appear to be in different pieces.

I hope it was just mine and not a design failure.

This SUX. My bike is sitting in pieces.
I just walked in the door and my link was sitting on the counter so I've yet to fit it to the bike. Upon inspection, all of the bearings in mine are on the same plane, so I'm not sure what is up with yours? The inner bearings ride on both the "outer plates" and the center cylindrical piece that has the grease fitting in it, so I'm not sure how they could be off? Have you checked to make sure the shaft isn't bent?

By my half-assed measurements, the new link looks to be ~129mm center to center, what is the stock one? (mine is ovaled out so I can't get an accurate measurement.)

Picture on it's way...

The Letter J screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 05:28 PM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #11969
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
The stock link is 127 mm or 5 in. That link sure looks purty.

From the mobile...

Uller screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 05:48 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #11970
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,078
J- I suggest you see if your shaft slides thru before installation. Mine arrived with dry bearing so I stuffed some grease in with my pinky. I then attempted to push the shaft thru so I could roll the grease in. That's when I found the issue. A visual look down the barrel looks like they are in line. Not! I'm sure it is a matter of thousandths. I'm concerned the shaft could seize in there and ruin the frame.

I can slide the shaft easily into both the stock and my 1 inch link. I look forward to hearing from you when you do install.

Sent from outside my mind.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote