Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #1201
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I'll be embarrassed to have a bike lighter than myself.
I feel ya.

I'm a pretty big guy -- tall and broad shouldered -- and I've really been struggling with my weight the last few years. My only true vanity in life is that I tell my suspension guys (Racetech, of course) that I want my bikes sprung for a 250 lb. rider. Middle age seems to make it much harder to lose a few pounds. Weight Watchers is working well for me: maybe in 6 months I'll weigh less than the EXC-F!! Of course, I'll have to have my bikes resprung in addition to all the new jeans I'd have to buy!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #1202
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I can't remember where, however, I remember reading that they looked into it and determined that it wasn't possible due to the slipper clutch and the amount of power.

I'd be perfectly happy to do away with the slipper clutch. IMHO, that only comes into play if your riding technique is lacking in the dirt, or you're sliding a SuMo. I expect that they included the slipper specifically for the street/sumo version of the 690.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #1203
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I'd be perfectly happy to do away with the slipper clutch. IMHO, that only comes into play if your riding technique is lacking in the dirt, or you're sliding a SuMo. I expect that they included the slipper specifically for the street/sumo version of the 690.
I don't think it does a whole lot in the dirt because the rear wheel can easily break traction. Its more beneficial to the Super moto guys or those of us racing the bike on tarmac.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #1204
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
There is another advantage to slipper clutches (at least the properly designed ones like Suter, not sure about stock 690?), in that they require less clutch pulling effort and lock up tighter instead of starting to slip when more power is applied. They are very popular when big engines and heavy loads are combined, i.e. every competitive sidecar outfit has them.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #1205
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
There is another advantage to slipper clutches (at least the properly designed ones like Suter, not sure about stock 690?), in that they require less clutch pulling effort and lock up tighter instead of starting to slip when more power is applied. They are very popular when big engines and heavy loads are combined, i.e. every competitive sidecar outfit has them.
The stock 690 slipper is made by Adige. I'm not too familiar with the company or quality but if the price is any indication it should be a decent unit.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #1206
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

good point. I know everyone who rides my 690 comments on the easy pull clutch lever.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #1207
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I've been wondering as well. Just shot their tech dept an E-mail......
I did too. Never had a bike with a Rekluse but I from I hear it would eliminate my flame out issues.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #1208
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I did too. Never had a bike with a Rekluse but I from I hear it would eliminate my flame out issues.

I don't think it would solve any FI related issues on the 690.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #1209
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I don't think it would solve any FI related issues on the 690.
The reason for this thought was when I was researching the 350 EXC some of folks where claiming having the flame out or stalling issue. Then claimed that once they installed the Rekluse it was virtually eliminated. I can't say either way. However when I installed the throttle tamer it did help somewhat with this issue. However I ended up removing it, because I couldn't stand the amount of throttle it took to get up a steep hill. After the removal I immediately noticed that this flame out issue being much more apparent again.

The stalling seems to get much worse when the bike heats up and the cooling fan kicks on. Maybe if I get that lower temp thermostat it will start cooling the bike sooner not allowing it to get so hot.

I have already changed FI maps. This did help with the jumpy throttle but didn't do much regards to the stalling issue. All I know is that this stalling always seems to happen when going real slow in the worse freaking places (like going up a steep technical hill). I do try to prevent it from happening by riding the clutch and keeping the revs up, which doesn't always seem to work..
Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #1210
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
The stock 690 slipper is made by Adige. I'm not too familiar with the company or quality but if the price is any indication it should be a decent unit.
Adler actualy. Well known and established since decades.

http://www.adler.it/

By the way, I wish for a ceramic clutch on a 690. That slipper clutch is under rated anyway.

Paul Jr 8
Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #1211
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Adler actualy. Well known and established since decades.

http://www.adler.it/

By the way, I wish for a ceramic clutch on a 690. That slipper clutch is under rated anyway.

Paul Jr 8
I got my Adige/Adler APTC a bit turned around. http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...show=10&page=1
Either way, leaps and bounds above the last Yamaha slipper I had. I've yet to find a situation with the 690 to get the slipper to actuate.

Edit:
I have noticed some surging when powering/clutching out of corners. Is that part of the APTC (are ours APTC?), and how exactly does it work? I thought it was a small slip at first, did some research and came up empty.

Barman screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 06:14 PM
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #1212
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
I have noticed some surging when powering/clutching out of corners. Is that part of the APTC (are ours APTC?), and how exactly does it work? I thought it was a small slip at first, did some research and came up empty.
$1500 for a slipper clutch that bad ??? Holy Crap

Paul Jr 8
Old 12-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #1213
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
$1500 for a slipper clutch that bad ??? Holy Crap

Paul Jr 8
That's why I'm curious about what's been installed. I'm definitely not feeling $1500 worth of clutch.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #1214
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
That's why I'm curious about what's been installed. I'm definitely not feeling $1500 worth of clutch.
1500 $ is the quote for a Ducati slippery clutch...

Ours is more on the 900 $ side.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #1215
peter83
peter83

Oddometer: 5
Question How to remove endcap for TuneECU connection

I've downloaded TuneECU and am having trouble removing the endcap on the diagnostic connector.
Are there any specific ways to remove the endcap?
I don't have the grip to press all three tangs at the same time while pulling the endcap off the connector.

Thanks in advance,

petere
peter83 is offline   Reply With Quote