Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #12556
cleverusername
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Reseat your tail light bulb. I've seen that symptom when the bulb gets corrosion on the base. Poor ground connection so the power is going thru both filaments.

Sent from outside my mind.
i have definitely reseated the bulb about 80 times now. but to be sure, i will get in there and get it crazy clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
is the bulb in backwards? the little nubs on the side are at different heights on an 1157 bulb. Sometimes the slots in these bike housings are a bit on the loose side and the bulb can go in backwards...which would light the brake filament as the tail lights...and when you hit the brake you wouldnt notice a change in brightness.

so i have definitely tried rotating the bulb 180 out from where it is now, where it does not light up in one position, but it does in the other. which gets me thinking... maybe in the position that it appears to be off, i'll try hitting the brakes and see if it lights up. how i didn't notice this before. i would be a bit embarassed but thankful if this is all it is.
cleverusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #12557
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Try checking the fitment of the front brake light switch. I have had this issue many times with various KTM models. If the switch is not tightly mounted it will be on all the time. Easy to fix with a little shoe goo.

Easy to test, just go up there an press the little nub, it the light goes out it is you problem.
empedrado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #12558
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
I've brought this up before but if anyone has done it they have not spoken up so I'll give it another try. I would like to relocate my ignition like the hdb guys make available. This would leave a hole where the ignition used to be and I figure that would be an ideal place to put a 12v outlet. Any thoughts?
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #12559
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
I've brought this up before but if anyone has done it they have not spoken up so I'll give it another try. I would like to relocate my ignition like the hdb guys make available. This would leave a hole where the ignition used to be and I figure that would be an ideal place to put a 12v outlet. Any thoughts?
I've thought about moving my ignition, just to make it easier to get at the key with a tank bag. You would have to lengthen the 2 wires to the ignition switch. And of course your steering lock wouldn't work afterwords.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #12560
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I've thought about moving my ignition, just to make it easier to get at the key with a tank bag. You would have to lengthen the 2 wires to the ignition switch. And of course your steering lock wouldn't work afterwords.

I am considering doing the same thing with a twist -- leave the stock switch where it is at but disconnect. That way the steering lock still works. I have an ignition switch that was removed from my 530, which would then be installed on/near the bars. Easy enough to wire.

I already have a screw type fuel plug so that is not an issue.

Smart to leave the steering lock in place since these bikes are way too easy to hot wire if the ignition wires are easily accessible.

Another option is a simple toggle switch on the bars and leave the key in place. Both would have to be on for the bike to run but so what. The toggle would kill the bike just like the key. Then only in situations that you would be removing the key would you have to deal with its location.

Right now I leave my key on most the time and just use the on/off right hand switch to kill the bike for gasing up and short breaks. That switch kills everything except the headlight. My headlight is switched such that during the day I just have the little 5w running light going in the headlight.

With that set up killing the bike with the right hand switch has everything off except for that little bulb and the taillight. They use so little juice I just don't worry about it.

Actually as I write this I am going to expore having the switch on the handlebars kill everything and the keyed ignition switch would just be for end of day and locking the bike. Gives me a project for tomorrow since it is so darn cold out.
empedrado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #12561
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post

Also thinking about it here. But after just a little bit of looking (very little) it appears like the OEM switch is too large for a HDB clamp, I'm thinking like the others, its gonna take another switch.

And I've been wanting the HDB clamp (had one on my 990) but between a tank bag/ Scotts Stab, and the larger HDB cllamp, I don't think it will all work very well without moving the switch.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #12562
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Mapping Switch

Too cold and icy to ride today, so I thought I would bring my bike into my office and wire up my 3 way mapping switch I bought a while back.

But, rather than cutting out the OEM switch and plug and soldering/splicing, I like to have a plug to match the plug on the bike, or the plug same as the OEM switch.

Other than looking thru hundreds of enet pics, anyone have a clue what connection this is and where to order from??

Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #12563
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Too cold and icy to ride today, so I thought I would bring my bike into my office and wire up my 3 way mapping switch I bought a while back.

But, rather than cutting out the OEM switch and plug and soldering/splicing, I like to have a plug to match the plug on the bike, or the plug same as the OEM switch.

Other than looking thru hundreds of enet pics, anyone have a clue what connection this is and where to order from??

Its an AMP Superseal connector.

Here's an ebay listing from the UK, you should be able to find one more local:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-AMP-...item20d0cc43d8

Nick.

PS. Check this also:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17377

NickW909 screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 08:38 AM
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #12564
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Question for the 690 collective. Ive been looking harder and harder at the 690 or 990 for my do everything bike, but the weight of the 990 and simpler(?) to maintain 690 has me leaning more and more towards the 690. Any years to stay away from or years that are best? Any significant updates in model years? Ive scoured the interwebs but not all of the info is clear. Can it carry groceries one day and tear up trails the next? Is worth it to get the 2014 with rideby wire and what not or save some dollars and looked used where people have generally already spent a bunch of money on farklization?
Thanks
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #12565
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Question for the 690 collective. Ive been looking harder and harder at the 690 or 990 for my do everything bike, but the weight of the 990 and simpler(?) to maintain 690 has me leaning more and more towards the 690. Any years to stay away from or years that are best? Any significant updates in model years? Ive scoured the interwebs but not all of the info is clear. Can it carry groceries one day and tear up trails the next? Is worth it to get the 2014 with rideby wire and what not or save some dollars and looked used where people have generally already spent a bunch of money on farklization?
Thanks
There's about a 1000+ answers to that...

A lot of it depends on the true mission statement for the bike, if you want to carry 2-up, how good a rider you are on the big bikes, etc, etc...

A 990 will eat up really long road (paved and unpaved) miles in more comfort and cruise at higher speeds easier, than a 690. If you will primarily ride offroad mild to moderately hard with only minimal paved stints like a short commute to work, the 690 works very well. Either bike can be taken around the world and be better or worse depending on terrain and conditions. There, did that help?

I love 'em both so have both.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #12566
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post

... The weight of the 990 and simpler(?) to maintain 690 has me leaning more and more towards the 690 ...

... Any significant updates in model years?

... Can it carry groceries one day and tear up trails the next?
The 690 is not simpler to maintain than the 990 - probably the converse ...

Significant changes in 2012 ...

More significant changes in 2014, incl. ABS - mixed response so far, but no-one has had a chance to try one ...

Yes it can carry groceries and tear up trails - if you were only doing those two things then it would be the perfect bike - enduro geometry and setup make it a less than optimal long-distance tourer - the 990 on the other hand has glorious power and eats up long miles like nothing else on the market ...

If you're hovering between the two, check out the Triumph Tiger 800XC also ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #12567
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
i have definitely reseated the bulb about 80 times now. but to be sure, i will get in there and get it crazy clean.

so i have definitely tried rotating the bulb 180 out from where it is now, where it does not light up in one position, but it does in the other. which gets me thinking... maybe in the position that it appears to be off, i'll try hitting the brakes and see if it lights up. how i didn't notice this before. i would be a bit embarassed but thankful if this is all it is.
I had the same issue with my '08 E. I had to take the bulb out and re-work the bulb socket.

IIRC, there was a tab that was bent out of shape and the socket/housing was very dirty. I still had power and ground in all the rights spots, but the connection of the bulb in the socket was poor. Once I cleaned and tightened the socket with a dental pick it has worked ever since.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #12568
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
The 690 is not simpler to maintain than the 990 - probably the converse ...

Significant changes in 2012 .....
Do you mind elaborating?

Would it be better to get a post '12 than an earlier model thats been tricked out with 300mm suspension and fairings and such?

wizz screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 07:12 PM
Old 12-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #12569
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
There's about a 1000+ answers to that...

A lot of it depends on the true mission statement for the bike, if you want to carry 2-up, how good a rider you are on the big bikes, etc, etc...

A 990 will eat up really long road (paved and unpaved) miles in more comfort and cruise at higher speeds easier, than a 690. If you will primarily ride offroad mild to moderately hard with only minimal paved stints like a short commute to work, the 690 works very well. Either bike can be taken around the world and be better or worse depending on terrain and conditions. There, did that help?

I love 'em both so have both.
No 2 up. Love my 350 exc which, as a result of my multi becoming a project bike, has become my do everything bike. And it isnt that bad at it, figured the 690 would be just a bit better. I fear the weight of the 990 falling on me but not enough to count it out entirely. Not stoked on the idea of high 30's mpg either.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #12570
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
motorcycle superstore coupon

I have a motorcycle superstore coupon code if anybody on the WUNDERFEST wants it.
Lots of exclusions.........
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote