Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #12661
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 888
Well I had a life but I also had a bike with many problems and I like fixing and sharing so the count was way up...got rid of the 690, it was a love hate thing, and now have a bike thats not as fun but never breaks ... live with out posting as much....reborn

miss that bike but dont miss being stranded 100 miles from a road and can do nothing to fix the bike....two days later it just starts working again. let me know when they get rid of the second ECU
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #12662
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Well I had a life but I also had a bike with many problems and I like fixing and sharing so the count was way up...got rid of the 690, it was a love hate thing, and now have a bike thats not as fun but never breaks ... live with out posting as much....reborn

miss that bike but dont miss being stranded 100 miles from a road and can do nothing to fix the bike....two days later it just starts working again. let me know when they get rid of the second ECU
I got rid of the second ECU by going to a Vortex ECU. Not the answer you were looking for I would guess. I've been setting up a 2014 500 EXC and am discovering just how quirky the 690 is in comparison. The underseat tank is nice but creates it's own problems. Same for the trellis frame. The overall design of the 500 just seems simpler. Easier to add fuel capacity. Just one bigger tank and done. Much less of a rat's next of wires too. I still like my 690 and plan to keep it until I live with the 500 for awhile, but in many ways the 500 is a breath of fresh air.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #12663
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:

You got a DR right? I've got one of those also. A good bike but a bit of a yawner.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #12664
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:

I got rid of both of my ECU's

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #12665
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Doesn't the '14 only have one ECU?

This was from rally raid:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0680449&type=1

"8.New ECU, only 1 fitted now"
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #12666
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
e post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Well, I can answer some of your questions. First the pic. This is a 2013 with the stock 796 bar.

I'm running BRP's mount with an additional 1.25 inch riser for a total of just under 2 inches of rise over stock. Clutch line is snug, but ok. Throttle cable was not a problem at all. In fact I am able to continue to use the cable bracket mounted on the damper.

Is the anti vibe mount worth it? Can't quantify that for you. My feeling is why not. At my age, anything I can do that makes it easier to spend time on the bike, I'm all for. I also inserted the anti-vibe bar inserts that Paul sells when I installed the HDB hand guards. Again, my thinking was, why not? Surprisingly, the larger od of the heated grips has made life easier on my hands as well. After the KLR, I don't find this bike very vibey unless I'm near the end of life for the knobbies and am at highway speed, and even then, not bad. Pretty darn smooth on new tires lol.

Steve
Nice post. I put foam superbike grips on mine and they seem pretty good so far. The bike needs something if you are coming from a twin.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #12667
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Has anyone developed a new seat pan yet? I'm getting mine set up for the ice but the seat is jacked and needs to be replaced soon.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #12668
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Has anyone developed a new seat pan yet?
Seat Concepts has developed their own seat pan.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...52&id=23236515

From the info on that page I'm guessing it would be about $100.00. They don't mention it being available separately--but a month or so ago I saw someone (I think on this thread?) mention they were having Seat Concepts ship a seat pan to Renazco for a seat build.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #12669
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Has anyone developed a new seat pan yet? I'm getting mine set up for the ice but the seat is jacked and needs to be replaced soon.
Well, well. Welcome back Crankshaft. Hope time has been treating you good.

Seat Concepts is using their own seat pan now. While I haven't seen it personally, I have spoken with someone who has. Word is, it is very nicely constructed and seems to be much more durable than OEM.

Edit: Bike Nomad beat me to it. That is the person I was speaking of. They will probably chime in here shortly...He doesn't have it back from Renazco though so I didn't get to see it.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #12670
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Well, well. Welcome back Crankshaft. Hope time has been treating you good.

Seat Concepts is using their own seat pan now. While I haven't seen it personally, I have spoken with someone who has. Word is, it is very nicely constructed and seems to be much more durable than OEM.

Edit: Bike Nomad beat me to it. That is the person I was speaking of. They will probably chime in here shortly...He doesn't have it back from Renazco though so I didn't get to see it.
Hey! Yea, took a much needed break from ADVrider and did a bunch of racing this summer. I had surgery Wednesday for a broken collar bone, so I'm catching up on my research Thanks for the tip
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #12671
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
That would be me. I called Seat Concepts and after a slow "OOOKAAAAAYY"
they took my CC info and mailed it to Renazco where it is right now, awaiting my build date. Cost me $100 plus a little shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
Seat Concepts has developed their own seat pan.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...52&id=23236515

From the info on that page I'm guessing it would be about $100.00. They don't mention it being available separately--but a month or so ago I saw someone (I think on this thread?) mention they were having Seat Concepts ship a seat pan to Renazco for a seat build.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #12672
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
There you go bobzilla, only 1 ECU on the 2014 model. Whatcha waiting for? Go reserve one now.

You know you want too. You're handy, you know that your dual sporting time just doesn't have that same joie de vivre, now that you are reasonably certain that your forays into the desert won't involve a little wrenching time (I mean why even bring tools if you aren't going to use them? Remember the deep sense of personal accomplishment when you fixed something out in the dez?) or a tow rope? Being towed just helps to get to know your riding buddies better and builds up a distinct riding skill set you wouldn't have otherwise.

For those of you who have not been following the thread that long, bobzilla had an early model 690 (or maybe two--I can't remember for sure) and came up with a number of elegant mods to address certain issues, and shared them with us.

Seriously though, here's a challenge for you bobzilla. Go order up a 2014 Enduro R. Set to work addressing every known issue/weakness on the bike right out of the box, fuel pump, R/R, custom wiring harness, rad protection, clutch slave, flimsy brake pedal,etc., etc. add a skid plate, shark fin, HDB hand protectors, stick on case protectors, lockite and safety wire stuff where possible etc. Maybe do a build thread for "bobzilla's Bulletproof, Big Basin Blastin' Battle Bike". C'mon I haven't seen a really good 690 Enduro build thread since Bartron's.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #12673
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I need a little help (or a lot depending on the subject matter)...
I drove through some heavy rain last night with the bike in the back of the ute, and today its running like shit.
It stalls on idle and when I release the clutch to take off, and pops and farts when I give it a fist full from low down in the rev range.
It is a little intermittent though, I got home and it idled away just fine and didn't cough and fart.
Im hoping it just dries out.. I have unplugged most of the wiring under the seat, anything else I should do?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

mezcal screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 09:58 PM
mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #12674
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan07 View Post
Opened it up and this is what i found. Not an expert but don't think that black crusty stuff should be there. Crusty and charcoal like

Dammit Dantheman! I opened mine up and I have the same problem.

I picked the bike up yesterday here in Bangkok and I was barely charging. I thought it was my RR. So I put on the spare. Still its charging at about 12.1v. I checked the voltage coming out of the Stator and it was 8 or 9 Vac. My resistance line to line was good. But all three have a path to ground. I opened my stator cover to reveal the same thing that you had. I blame you

Now i'm off to KTM bangkok to try to convince them to let me rob one off their brand new 690s in the show room. I have a flight to catch on friday in Cambodia. So.. If I cant get one from KTM, I might be trying to do a re-wind.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #12675
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.

Oddometer: 248
I have little contribution at this point, only that i have a deposit down a 14 690r , apparently they're still in Austria and not en route yet according to the conversation with the dealer the other day.I am waiting quite impatiently.
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote