ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #12916
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
for those who know about steering stabilizers... I have never driven a bike with one but hear good things... but for 600 + beans, i really want to believe it is a must have...

must have? meh,, use it or lose it... don't bother...

What the collective's opinion for this bike?
You won't know you have onw until you take it off.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #12917
gen
Studly Adventurer
 
gen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Tokyo
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
which has got me thinking why not use a 690 sm but then i think to myself just find an enduro if you ever wanted to just put sm wheels on it, be way harder to go the other way...
It is much harder to turn an SMC into an enduro bike than it is to turn an Enduro into a decent supermoto.
__________________
DoD#1458
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #12918
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: VanIsle, BC
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
for those who know about steering stabilizers... I have never driven a bike with one but hear good things... but for 600 + beans, i really want to believe it is a must have...

must have? meh,, use it or lose it... don't bother...

What the collective's opinion for this bike?
For the 690? YES it is a must have. I find it a little squirrelly without one. I have on for my 350 EXCF and just swap it back and forth between the two bikes. One of these days I will buy a second one.
__________________
Check out Don's Adventure Rides https://donsadventurerides.wordpress.com
KTM 350 EXCF - KTM Freeride 250 - GasGas Raga 250
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #12919
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,095
is the stabilizer something I will continue to f..k with???? hmmm like a ktm 690
__________________
Fak it, just go.... away
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #12920
ba_
Beastly Adventurer
 
ba_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester County, New York
Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
is the stabilizer something I will continue to f..k with???? hmmm like a ktm 690
You'll find where you like it and leave it there most of the time. I would only turn it up if I knew I was getting into some hairy terrain or riding deep sand. It is very easy to turn it up/down (you can do it while riding).
__________________
'09 Triumph Bonneville 50th Anniversary, '14 KTM 690 Enduro R
ba_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #12921
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: VanIsle, BC
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
You'll find where you like it and leave it there most of the time. I would only turn it up if I knew I was getting into some hairy terrain or riding deep sand. It is very easy to turn it up/down (you can do it while riding).

*exactly* what he said.
__________________
Check out Don's Adventure Rides https://donsadventurerides.wordpress.com
KTM 350 EXCF - KTM Freeride 250 - GasGas Raga 250
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #12922
stewie100
soon to be andventur
 
stewie100's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: north Idaho
Oddometer: 132
Pissed

Thanks for the answers. But I do not have my license yet I am trying to get a head start and look for a good bike, that and I love motorcycles and ktm is on the best duel sport manufacturer in my opinion
stewie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #12923
buddoggin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
buddoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddoggin View Post
Anyone know if these fit an Enduro R rear sprocket...? They are 8mm x 22mm D58-32-282 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRC-Motorcyc...dd67e6&vxp=mtr
Anyone??? They look right.

__________________
Current bikes:

2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
buddoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #12924
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
is the stabilizer something I will continue to f..k with???? hmmm like a ktm 690
Depends what you use your bike for ...

I wouldn't bother with a steering damper if you're just doing gravel roads / open fire trails / etc - but if you get into rocks or sand, then it will certainly make for a smoother and safer ride - also helps give a steadier ride at speed ...

I've only used Ralle Moto steering dampers, which come with guidance for settings in different conditions - pays to play around with it a bit, and to change the settings when doing different sorts of rides ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #12925
wbedient
MoTard
 
wbedient's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 1,305
Gas Cans

Where are you guys mounting rotopax cans?

It seems like with the fuel tank weight towards the back of the bike it would be good to mount a gas can further forward.

Thoughts?
__________________

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #12926
stewie100
soon to be andventur
 
stewie100's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: north Idaho
Oddometer: 132
Pissed

And is there anyway to put 3 aluminum hard luggage racks like on the bmw f800 gs on it or is the bike to small
stewie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #12927
spaceman_spiff
Beastly Adventurer
 
spaceman_spiff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie100 View Post
And is there anyway to put 3 aluminum hard luggage racks like on the bmw f800 gs on it or is the bike to small

There is a whole thread on luggage and racks. You need to do some research on here before posting questions that have been answered a bunch of times
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #12928
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez
 
dirty_sanchez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Louisiana, Baton Rouge
Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Where are you guys mounting rotopax cans?

It seems like with the fuel tank weight towards the back of the bike it would be good to mount a gas can further forward.

Thoughts?
Here's where and how I mounted mine up.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906974

Dirty
__________________
No, really, the mustache means I love you.
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #12929
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie100 View Post
And is there anyway to put 3 aluminum hard luggage racks like on the bmw f800 gs on it or is the bike to small
Hmm, I probably shouldn't but...

I really think you're heading down the wrong path. The 690 can excel as an adventure bike, albeit a minimalist, dirt-oriented adventure bike. It's nimble for it's size, but it's not light by dirt bike standards. It's also very tall and uses the fuel cell as the rear sub-frame, so isn't really intended to carry a ton of weight or a passenger - in fact I don't believe I've read a single ride report where the 690 was used two-up for anything more than a short trip. It also will do OK on the highway, but for long distance slabs you'll be far better served by practically any of the more street-oriented dual sports.

Of course you certainly can bolt on 100lbs of racks and panniers, but you'll basically kill all the fun aspects of the bike.

Good luck, I've been where you are many times and I really think you should consider some other options.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #12930
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Hmm, I probably shouldn't but...

I really think you're heading down the wrong path. The 690 can excel as an adventure bike, albeit a minimalist, dirt-oriented adventure bike. It's nimble for it's size, but it's not light by dirt bike standards. It's also very tall and uses the fuel cell as the rear sub-frame, so isn't really intended to carry a ton of weight or a passenger - in fact I don't believe I've read a single ride report where the 690 was used two-up for anything more than a short trip. It also will do OK on the highway, but for long distance slabs you'll be far better served by practically any of the more street-oriented dual sports.

Of course you certainly can bolt on 100lbs of racks and panniers, but you'll basically kill all the fun aspects of the bike.

Good luck, I've been where you are many times and I really think you should consider some other options.
Well said.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015