Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #14011
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Plug & Play is a bad idea as the stock connector is crap.

And no offence to Nick, but I would spend a few bucks more and instead of questionable Chinese made parts (Ricks, Electrex, Electrosport etc) get an OEM quality Shindengen MOSFET.

Jack from Roadstercycle will ship the anywhere in the world cheaply, and you can also find them used on Ebay in Europe, they are stock on many late model bikes. Google will tell you which exactly, but e.g. BMW S1000RR, Honda CBR600RR, 1000RR, Yamaha R1 etc.

I'll be fitting a FH008 from a CBR600RR to my 690 next week, with sealed Weatherpack connectors, and high quality wires run directly to the battery. The FH0012 is a bit bigger with higher capacity (unnecessary due to the low stator output) but is also a good choice, and cheap to buy new.
Hi Lukas,

Thats great info thank you, any chance of taking a few photos during your install? Nothing wrong woth mine yet, its for my to do wish list at some time in the future. .. funds allowing of course!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #14012
NickW909
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Plug & Play is a bad idea as the stock connector is crap.

And no offence to Nick, but I would spend a few bucks more and instead of questionable Chinese made parts (Ricks, Electrex, Electrosport etc) get an OEM quality Shindengen MOSFET.

Jack from Roadstercycle will ship the anywhere in the world cheaply, and you can also find them used on Ebay in Europe, they are stock on many late model bikes. Google will tell you which exactly, but e.g. BMW S1000RR, Honda CBR600RR, 1000RR, Yamaha R1 etc.

I'll be fitting a FH008 from a CBR600RR to my 690 next week, with sealed Weatherpack connectors, and high quality wires run directly to the battery. The FH0012 is a bit bigger with higher capacity (unnecessary due to the low stator output) but is also a good choice, and cheap to buy new.
Lukas,

It says on the Electrex site that they are made in the UK.

Do you know for a fact that they are not?

Would be interested to know or hear any bad reports about Electrex.

Thanks,

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
NickW909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #14013
Morocco
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Good tip

The Britannia Lynx is looking like a great option...thanks for the tip. I do not seem to find any US dealers, it seems the only option is to order it from their web site, right?
I especially liked that you can raise or lower the windshield, so it would not get in the way when doing a little hard riding standing on the pegs in the lower position and get it higher when sitting on road or highway sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've been quite pleased with the Brittania Lynx fairing, with the HID low-beam upgrade.

Hardly cheap -- if you've been shopping for a windshield, you will need to adjust your pricing expectations.
Morocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #14014
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morocco View Post
The Britannia Lynx is looking like a great option...thanks for the tip. I do not seem to find any US dealers, it seems the only option is to order it from their web site, right?
I especially liked that you can raise or lower the windshield, so it would not get in the way when doing a little hard riding standing on the pegs in the lower position and get it higher when sitting on road or highway sections.
Search for a thread in the vendors forum, the maker posts and replies regularly

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #14015
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Well just spend roughly 14 hours straight slapping on the evo2 tanks and fairings. Wondering where people routed the fuel line quick disconnect, on the inner or the outside of the frame. Running on the inside makes it ssoooooo close to the rear shock...
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #14016
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Is there an alternative plug and play regulator/rectifier or do all of them require splices.

if all require splices which is the better version?

i saw a reference to Shindengen FH020AA - it appears these are available in US but not europe.
Fluff, safe your money for beers and just keep the connectors clean I doubt you will ever break the stocker.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #14017
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Fluff, safe your money for beers and just keep the connectors clean I doubt you will ever break the stocker.
Uller and RoninMoto and others have had the stock R/R fail, fwiw.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #14018
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Uller and RoninMoto and others have had the stock R/R fail, fwiw.
Fishfund's already broke once, before Noah got the bike. It gave him a shitload of trouble on his trans-Africa trip, and nobody could pin down what it was until he arrived in the UK and worked on the bike with John from Rally Raid.

Thyristor based shunt regulator simply run very hot and all appear to fail eventually, and for $50-150 (used/new) you can have a bulletproof waterproof MOSFET solution that should outlast the bike. As a bonus it will convert less energy to heat and give you much steadier charging voltage, a bit higher so better for AGM and LiFePo4 batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Lukas,

It says on the Electrex site that they are made in the UK.

Do you know for a fact that they are not?

Would be interested to know or hear any bad reports about Electrex.

Thanks,

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
Hi Nick,

I just read of many people who have had problems with Electrex but after just looking into it, it appears that there are two brands sold under the same name, and only one is made in China.

Maybe things are all good with yours?

From the Husaberg forum:

Quote:
As the MD of Electrex, I don't have too much time to correspond on this excellent forum. I would like to put the record straight regarding the comments made by one of your members who could not spell Satan. We have been in continuous and expanding production for more than 21 years. We briefly had a distributor in the USA called 'Electrex USA' who after several years copied all of our products and had them made in China; this company is now called 'Electrosport'. We obviously have no trading relationship with said company.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 AM   #14019
Anders-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmnz View Post
I put an ETX12A in my 2011 R recently and it was a very tight fit under the battery retaining bracket. No way anything taller will fit. I had to remove the foam underneath the bracket to fit the battery. Also the positive lead on my bike is just barely long enough without the battery terminal extension. Also I had to insulate the bracket because the pos terminal ends up right underneath it.

So far the ETX12A seems to have plenty of capacity and seems to charge from the alternator really quickly. Do you really need more capacity? Unless you're running something off the battery with the engine off or maybe in very cold temps I doubt it.

Thanks for reply, made me read the specs again and as it turned out I've been looking at the wrong figures all the time
I see now that even the ETX12A would be a pretty tight fit. Time to go looking for easier-fitting alternatives.

(as for the large capacity, sometimes I need to start at around -5C, and the consensus for these batteries seems to be "get the largest one you can fit")
Anders- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 AM   #14020
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
Hi steven!

Hope all is well? Cheers for reply thinking the same but if I can get one cheap enough then why not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #14021
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Well just spend roughly 14 hours straight slapping on the evo2 tanks and fairings. Wondering where people routed the fuel line quick disconnect, on the inner or the outside of the frame. Running on the inside makes it ssoooooo close to the rear shock...

The fuel line goes on the outside of the frame, usually attached with a zip-tie to the frame tube at rear of motor, I will get a pic added to our instructions this week.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #14022
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 567
hmm looks like I'll have to relocate my OSCO when I get my tanks, it's in that exact spot...
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #14023
NickW909
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Hi Nick,

I just read of many people who have had problems with Electrex but after just looking into it, it appears that there are two brands sold under the same name, and only one is made in China.

Maybe things are all good with yours?

From the Husaberg forum:
Lukas, thanks for that, you had me worried for a minute...

I had read some good reports about the Electrix and not really and bod ones before I bought it. I liked it as it fits in the space of the original, didn't foul the EVO2 tanks and the tails were long enough that there wouldn't be any splices.

Nick.
NickW909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 AM   #14024
saintfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders- View Post
Have anyone here managed to fit an ETX18B into the stock battery compartment?

According to the manufacturers website it's 4mm taller than the regular YTZ10S, and looking at my bike (with stock battery) there "seems" to be about ~3mm available space between retaining bracket and top of battery.
(the smaller ETX12A has no issues fitting, but I'm of course interested in the highest capacity option).
I fitted the shorai battery that is recommended for the 990. It's about 10mm too tall from what I remember but I used a spare nut that is bigger than the bolt as a spacer. Apart from the actual battery performance, which was disappointing for an oversize battery, 30000kms later I've had no problems because of fitment, the cables do reach but this battery is a bit thinner so needed a spacer in the tray. Would definitely prefer an earth x or anti-gravity now
saintfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #14025
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders- View Post
Thanks for reply, made me read the specs again and as it turned out I've been looking at the wrong figures all the time
I see now that even the ETX12A would be a pretty tight fit. Time to go looking for easier-fitting alternatives.

(as for the large capacity, sometimes I need to start at around -5C, and the consensus for these batteries seems to be "get the largest one you can fit")
I tried to find a 16 cell LiFePo4 but they are all too tall.

Your best bet is probably the YTZ-10 replacement 12 cell Anti-Gravity, perfect fit unlike their small case format. It has 7.5 Ah actual so plenty of reserve, and it's a very high quality and reliable battery. The Earth-X 12 cell in the A case will also work, giving you some room around it to stuff with foam (or some spares?).

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote