Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #14371
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I didn't fully appreciate the truly extraordinary nature of this proposed trip ...

For those who didn't follow the link in the original post, the plan is to create an amphibian version of the 690 (i.e. powered by it) which will be required to travel 550km over water - including the Bering Strait ...
Not to deflate the excitement on this (forgive the pun), the Bering straight is 51 nm at it's narrowest point - not 550km. My French is a bit rusty, but from the map, he's looking to take the that route, near around the Diomede islands.

Not to say it's not an interesting undertaking, from a technical undertaking, just am pretty sure you'd not have enough stowage space for the gas you'd need to propel this hydrodynamic aberration for 550km....

Still, pretty cool - and if done, could earn him the real rights to say he rode from Europe to North America ...
CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #14372
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
Not to deflate the excitement on this (forgive the pun), the Bering straight is 51 nm at it's narrowest point - not 550km. My French is a bit rusty, but from the map, he's looking to take the that route, near around the Diomede islands.

Not to say it's not an interesting undertaking, from a technical undertaking, just am pretty sure you'd not have enough stowage space for the gas you'd need to propel this hydrodynamic aberration for 550km....

Still, pretty cool - and if done, could earn him the real rights to say he rode from Europe to North America ...
CM
I didn't say that the Bering Straight was 550km ...

But I did to read his original post, which says that, "There are also some technical issues, including carrying petrol. The max distance without a petrol station will be 1100 km on (unpaved) road, and 550 km on water. I added to my original 12 liter tank a 14 liter Safari tank, and I bought three 12 liters bladders. Total=62 liters"

And hence my point ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #14373
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post

What did you change ? Only the bearing ? Do you know the brand name of the stock bearing ? (perhaps replacing preventively the original bearing by a high end SKF model would be safer).
When mine failed the KTM dealer got in touch with KTM HQ. KTM told them to replace both rocker arms and bearings. Everything will come in a KTM branded box.

KTM changed the rocker arm design in 2012 but some bikes (mine included) didn't get the new ones when built. I don't know how you will be able to tell if your bike has the new designs or not.

Fuel pump: KTM redesigned the fuel pump for 2012 to eliminate problems - it didn't work. Mine failed at about 6000 miles or something (I posted about this sometime around June I think last year so take a look through my previous posts to take a look about related issues). This doesn't mean yours will, but be warned. For your trip I would carry a CACyleworks pump as a replacement and a spare fuel filter. If you do get the CAC then compare it with the oem in your tank they have different size requirements for the pipe fittings. Might make more sense to fit the CAC and carry the oem as a spare or just get two CACs for peace of mind.

What are you doing air filter wise? If you're keeping the snorkel you should drill some holes in it to let the motor breath better. You can get the EVO1 air filter lid and then if your finding TuneECU difficult ask your dealer to load the 2012 Akro map = no more stalling.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #14374
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
I didn't say that the Bering Straight was 550km ...

But I did to read his original post, which says that, "There are also some technical issues, including carrying petrol. The max distance without a petrol station will be 1100 km on (unpaved) road, and 550 km on water. I added to my original 12 liter tank a 14 liter Safari tank, and I bought three 12 liters bladders. Total=62 liters"

And hence my point ...
You are right - I stand corrected - he explains the nautical stretch here:

Quote:
for administrative reason, I will have to leave Russia in Provideniya, that is still a bit far from the Bering Strait (but the closest place with an Immigration Office). From Provideniya, I will follow the coast for 250 km, then I will cross the strait (100km more).
So the challenge will be the big long coastal run before the strait itself - sounds like once he reaches the US Diomede he can likely fuel up - and he's almost done at that point.

Without doing the fuel/ nautical range calcs, there is definitely a challenge there with fuel. I'm sure speed (or the moderation of it) will be key. Displacement vs planing - if it's on fuel alone (no sail), it'll have to be slow and steady.

Thanks for the reminder to check the full thread - I hadn't noticed it earlier - for those who haven't, here it is: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955061

cheers,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #14375
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post

Thanks for the reminder to check the full thread - I hadn't noticed it earlier - for those who haven't, here it is: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955061
cheers,
CM
Subscribed to that Toi RR, now that's an Adventure!!!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #14376
ry8762
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
KTM 690 Enduro/Smc 2014 vs the previous years

So with the new engine from the Duke and the few different upgrades to the previous years mainly the fly by wire throttle my question is will this resolve all the fuelling issues and tps problems these bikes are known to have???

Cheers
ry8762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #14377
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post
So with the new engine from the Duke and the few different upgrades to the previous years mainly the fly by wire throttle my question is will this resolve all the fuelling issues and tps problems these bikes are known to have???

Cheers
Nine tenths (probably a whole lot more) of the previous years' bikes don't have any of these issues - particularly 2012-13 model ...

Easy to look at a global web forum and get the wrong idea about what is likely to happen to a particular bike - i.e. someone somewhere in the world has a problem and turns to the web for a solution - finds someone else who happens to have had a similar problem - and suddenly, this make / model of bike is considered problematic ...

The bike needs to be mapped properly if you put aftermarket exhausts and air filters on it, just as a carbied bike would need to be jetted properly ...

The new developments will probably throw up some teething problems once enough of them hit the road ...
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #14378
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

32 liters/8.4 gallons onboard

This is what I did to my 2013 690. Basel Quest kit. No paint or graphics applied yet. 32 liters/8.4 gallons onboard in a slim 450RFR rally package. Still need to add a luggage system and full-coverage bashplate. Awesome lightweight Adventure tourer. Great non-turbulent wind protection at sit-down highway speeds up to the ton.

Good for:

Gravel/dirt/powerline road running

Ripping around a dirt racetrack

Dune running

Cross country desert riding

Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #14379
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
field notes

I have a 2009 R with 13,000 miles, 90 % off-road. I’ve done most of the mods, tank bolts, Leo Vince can(remapped by dealer), ceramic coated oem header, smog control removed, kickstand bypass, lED spot aux light, 08 mask, Ohlins steering damper, suspension, seat concepts, gas cap fix..... I make it practice to re-grease steering and swing arm bearings, inspect the clutch pack, flush and replace all fluids, check seals, etc when I buy a used bike. The only thing I didn't do was inspect the fuel pump assembly but the bike quit two miles after I went through every thing on a test run, so I was into the fuel tank. The PO had replaced the oem fuel filter with an improper length after market unit that resulted in the supply line disconnecting shortly after he sold it to me – nice I know. Luckily it failed a few miles from my house. I replaced the filter with one of two that I bought from RR (I carry a spare & an aftermarket pump). When I installed the assembly, there was a little too much resistance that I chalked up to the massive amount of lines. I learned 300 miles later in an isolated two track in the middle of Baja that I had created a kink in the fuel line.... when I pulled it out I immediately recognized that I failed to insert the line into the tank using the factory bend in the line. It slide in like butter and I could hold the bottom plate up with one finger while starting the four bolts – lesson learned and only a slight detour that day.

A few weeks ago I was on the same trail – Valle de Cirio – sometimes referred to a Satan’s A-hole for the section of silt, sand wash and gnarly climb out to the summit of the coastal range – I even stopped to take a picture of where I was stranded for a few hours in the dark until I reinstalled the pump properly. We rode through a few miles of deep sand, then heavy silt beds. I lugged through one section in third, the engine stumbled on the lower grade gas, backfired loudly and quit.... arrg, 6 miles past the last place it quit a few years ago. It wouldn't re-start, wasn't overheated ( I run the lower temp thermostat) and the pump was pressuring up. My first thought was the air cleaner blew off, but it appeared secure – I should have looked a little closer. So we started the diagnostic drill, pulled the plug, had spark, plug looked good; disengaged the fuel line released the pressure, lots of fuel... (that hasty check would bite me tomorrow) put a few drops of fuel in the plug hole, it popped once. Crap, out comes my aux tank. As soon as I lifted the tank out of the way, I saw the air cleaner had indeed blow off the throttle. Should have taken a few more minutes to really check my first instinct out. Put it back on, bike fired right up. This is an unusual circumstance and realistically applies only to those not using the oem air box. So the trail curse was once again overcome but we cut out a 40 mile section to Mission San Borja since we wanted to see it in daylight and my little brain fart cost us an hour of ride time, as it was we rolled into LA Bay after dark ending a 200+ mile day.

The second learning experience – quick connect o-rings. The bike started to run a little rough on the bottom along the trail to San Francisquito but I decided to treat it like chest pain, ignore it and press on. After 80 rutted out miles, the bike was running shitty, but I decided to deal with it at Rancho Piedras Blancas. One of our riders missed the turn so I waited for the other two, told them to gather up #3 and I was going to keep going, I didn't want to shut the bike off. The bike got progressively worse, the last 4 miles I had to work the throttle constantly to get fuel to the throttle body until I was down to first gear and then it quit, I could see the Ranch sign at the end of sand wash I was in . F-ck. I noticed the bike stunk of raw fuel, pulled my seat off and oh shit, pump was energizing but fuel was leaking from the disconnect. You know where I am going, right. I pulled the connector apart and sure enough a piece of the o-ring is gone, parked I am sure in my injector body since it is about 6 inched down stream. I had a spare o-ring and I suspect I could have field cleaned the debris from my injector, but a truck with two Baja dudes rolled up and said let's just take it to Guerrero, El Chino has a fuel injector cleaner. Turns out the cook wasn't at the ranch weekdays though they had killer jerky and carne asada, gas, and rooms, but the groups said screw it let's just rip into GN, bypassing Mission Santa Gertrudis, now my second mission missed due to mechanical delays. I had El Chino clean the injector the next day and we did a 100 mile ride, leaky connector fixed with a spare o-ring, injector cleaned, all good.

So for you guys that like to get in the middle of nowhere, carry spare o-rings for the disconnect ( I later saw in my shop manual that these should be refreshed periodically; a spare injector in case the debris can't be cleared and the red o-rings in the fuel injector assembly, they too degrade and they are easily pinched reassembling (ask me how I know) .

The bike was flawless otherwise. I did replace the rocker arms with the updated parts while I was checking the valve clearance. At 10K the left intake was right on the edge, might have been considered in spec, pretty amazing consider how hard I hammer the motor, but I decided to shuffle the shims and use a HD shim, they have .025 increments and get all four cleareances at .10. The oem rockers looked okay but my buddies 08 rockers were junk at 20 K. I spoke to the tech and he recommend I replace the 09 with the updated rockers even though mine realistically had another 8-10 k of useful life. I figured it was worth the 180 bucks in parts and I had the rocker out anyway.

A word about field repairs on the fuel system. Unless you tote a oem fuel pump assembly around, which includes a new filter, you need fuel injection clamps, safety wire, proper filter, zip ties and remember to ease the lines in following the factory bend. The bike is actually very easy to work on and other than self induced issues, reliable. I'm on the stock pump and my buddies 08 is on the stocker – no mechanical meltdowns and we have over 35 K between us on these bikes.

See you on the trail.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #14380
Toi
-

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
When mine failed the KTM dealer got in touch with KTM HQ. KTM told them to replace both rocker arms and bearings. Everything will come in a KTM branded box.
Thanks to MeinMotorrad and Ztrab for this detailled information. I have now to digest all this.. At least, I will have to check the rocker arm before leaving, and probably to replace it, whatever the condition. I don't know so well my dealer, but I need to clarify this point.

Quote:
What are you doing air filter wise? If you're keeping the snorkel you should drill some holes in it to let the motor breath better. You can get the EVO1 air filter lid and then if your finding TuneECU difficult ask your dealer to load the 2012 Akro map = no more stalling.
I still have the snorkel, but with the foam filter instead of the original paper. I thought that the EVO1 air filter was designed to get more power (I don't need more power, but just less consumption).
I didn't modify the mapping with TuneECU, but I am not scared with this and could remap if it is better for me. My question was just "is it better to remap if I don't need more power ?". Moreover, is the Akro map compliant with the Wing exhaust ?

Quote:
The longest distance I have on water is not the Bering strait, but on rivers (Kolyma then Yukon). On sea, I have also to follow the coast before crossing...
I change my "black" boat for a bigger (but not heavier) one. I have now more space for the gas and it will not be the issue.
In my mind, the main risk for giving up is not on water (my mechanical system is now quite reliable), but more when riding through Chukotka (mostly because of the river crossing).

I know this project is complex, and probably too ambitious for an old man that is not an expert. But it's so nice to try, and I will try to go as far as I can. In 2010, I left my home for a one year trip. It was raining heavily this day (June 21st, solstice day) and my trip was not prepared (except my visas). I didn't know ADVRider at this time. But it had been one year of happiness. I believe that I will be again lucky, and that I will get some help from the people I will meet.
And if I fail, it would be at least a great experience.
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #14381
BeHyper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
This is what I did to my 2013 690. Basel Quest kit. No paint or graphics applied yet. 32 liters/8.4 gallons onboard in a slim 450RFR rally package. Still need to add a luggage system and full-coverage bashplate. Awesome lightweight Adventure tourer. Great non-turbulent wind protection at sit-down highway speeds up to the ton.

Good for:

Gravel/dirt/powerline road running

Ripping around a dirt racetrack

Dune running

Cross country desert riding

BeHyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #14382
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

How much did the kit cost?

Fairing
Navigation tower
Front and centre tanks
Header pipe

Difficult to navigate their website ...
Old 03-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #14383
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
How much did the kit cost?

Fairing
Navigation tower
Front and centre tanks
Header pipe

Difficult to navigate their website ...
Says right on their website top right, 5,950.00 Fr. (Swiss Francs) + shipping
Plus, honestly you need to be a good builder/fabricator to put it together. It's not Lego pieces, and still a kit a in progress. The main parts are all top notch and rugged. BeHyper and I were the first two built in the states and on the early end of the kit finalization. It will be better for those getting it later.

Not a cheap kit by any means but compared to a factory rally bike it's much less expensive, and the Dalby 700RR and Omega Carbon are in the same ballpark.

I have friends with two factory Dakar 690RR's who I rode with last weekend in the desert and they looked over the kit and said it was nice and looked very close to factory. The tanks for sure are factory rally tanks, the fairing a custom glass/kevlar unit, very rugged. 4 D-zus and it comes off, just like the 450RR and tower looks just like the factory unit but not sure where it's made. Some special adaptations to deal with a fuel-injected rear-tank pumped system.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #14384
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Says right on their website top right, 5,950.00 Fr. (Swiss Francs) + shipping
Plus, honestly you need to be a good builder/fabricator to put it together. It's not Lego pieces, and still a kit a in progress. The main parts are all top notch and rugged. BeHyper and I were the first two built in the states and on the early end of the kit finalization. It will be better for those getting it later.

Not a cheap kit by any means but compared to a factory rally bike it's much less expensive, and the Dalby 700RR and Omega Carbon are in the same ballpark.

I have friends with two factory Dakar 690RR's who I rode with last weekend in the desert and they looked over the kit and said it was nice and looked very close to factory. The tanks for sure are factory rally tanks, the fairing a custom glass/kevlar unit, very rugged. 4 D-zus and it comes off, just like the 450RR and tower looks just like the factory unit but not sure where it's made. Some special adaptations to deal with a fuel-injected rear-tank pumped system.
A lot of money for tanks / fairing / tower / header pipe ...

Still need the tail pipe, plus the other bits and pieces ...

And then there's the bike itself ...

In Australia, that would make the finished bike more expensive than (for example) an 1190R - about the same as a 1200GSA ...

Same story for the Dalby Moto 700RR ...
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #14385
KGSloan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry8762 View Post

Cheers
i can say, that my 2014, is very smooth and responsive from right off idle. I just wish it had a little more "snap", but, i'm used to true dirt bikes so I'm sure it'll never be that level.
KGSloan is offline   Reply With Quote