Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #14431
resqdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Yes, Woody has his own sealing method (goop/epoxy). He guarantees it for a year I think.
I did it myself with Seal All, works like a champ. I run the TuBliss on my 690 rear, no problems at all.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #14432
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
I now carry a spare oem injector assembly in addition to a back up pump & filter with necessary FI clamps, etc so a field swap can be done easily enough. - you should also carry a few of the red injector O-rings and a few quick connect o-rings (see my earlier post).

The OEM injector kit comes with a screen that insert into the rail housing. This is not a 690 part, the filter was for the smaller single, up to the 500cc bikes due to some in tank filtration issues. There was a problem with the inline screen and it was replaced with a 20 micron from 10 (or maybe I reversed that) so the PN is updated. I have run a lot of fuel as has my buddy on his 08 with no fouling issue other than my ham-fisted field work that left a chunk of O-ring in the rail, so I think the use of the kit screen may cause more problems that it solves. A KTM parts guy told me these they used these on the smaller bikes because getting to the injector was a lot more work that the 690. Anybody running this tiny inline screen ?

Here is a link to an injector re-builder that advertises a KTM injectors. Can't beat the price for a back up if it is the correctly meter injector nozzle.

http://stores.ebay.com/OKINJECTORS/M...=p4634.c0.m322
I was just considering that after watching and seeing that mentioned in the video here:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3S9wWSU_4

If I may add a relevant question ( or delete if too much threadjack):
1. O rings for injector seem ridiculously expensive. Any NAPA part?
2. The Rally Raid injector replacement screws. Locktite them-yes/no?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #14433
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
does someone know the easiest way to remove(, clean, regrease and reinstall) the 690 rear suspension link?

LP,
Good question....any body have a good answer??? I have to get into mine....don't want to remove swingarm....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #14434
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
1. O rings for injector seem ridiculously expensive. Any NAPA part?
1: O-Rings are an industrial commodity. I'd be shocked if they are not available by the hundreds for pennies apiece. I plan to clean my injector (since I have it exposed) and I will measure it when I have it apart.

2: IMHO, I loctite every damn thing except threaded inserts into a plastic substrate, such as the air filter lid bolts, and anything that attaches to the tank.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #14435
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
1: O-Rings are an industrial commodity. I'd be shocked if they are not available by the hundreds for pennies apiece. I plan to clean my injector (since I have it exposed) and I will measure it when I have it apart.
They need to be Viton o-rings, so maybe not pennies each.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #14436
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
LP,
Good question....any body have a good answer??? I have to get into mine....don't want to remove swingarm....
I've done it a 3 times now or so.. I don't remember it being difficult. The bearings on the linkage don't have loose needles. but if you remove your swing arm, be careful that you don't loose some of the bearings as they are loose in the bearing race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
I don't locktite mine. They have never come loose. If you felt you needed to.. use the weak stuff.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #14437
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
Ya It's a little steep, I waited till I had some zilla dollars to grab one got it for 1fidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
You got me curious as to what a PDM60 is...
A google comes up with several ADV threads.
Interesting device. I think I'll look more into it for use in my Truck.
It might help out on my 950 as well.

Here'sa quick youtube I found for others also curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLCBjFkMxQ

WOW- They sure are proud of that thing. Pricewise
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #14438
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
LP,
My own experience and counsel from master techs who wrench for a living; sometimes it is quicker and more expedient to take few extra steps so you have full access to what you are working on. Greasing the link is a good idea but inspecting and refreshing the swing arm bearings is probably more important. If you wait for a rear tire chance , you already have the rear wheel off, removing the rear damper is just one more bolt, it might be time to chane the oil and recharge the shock anyway. Disconnect the the rear brake, remove the right foot peg, drop the left and you can pull the link and swing arm for proper inspection and service. Easy peasy :-), you'll feel great when if is back together.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #14439
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Z,
Thanks....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #14440
jjswee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswee View Post
Bought my KTM 690 last Sunday. I came from a 2007 V-strom with a bunch of heavy add-ons. Took it on my local curvy road just today.

Wow. This thing is a lot of fun. It is approx 200 lbs lighter than my V-Strom and I can really, really tell the difference. The cornering is so much faster and I know I can corner faster still, but I am not ready for that yet.

Anyways, as many new used bikes, it isn't without problems. It has an Akra exhaust and the previous owner said it was tuned. I know there is something wrong though. Between 3-4,000 rpm the engine lunges. It doesn't run smoothly and will lose a little power every second or so as I'm driving down the road. If I kick it down a gear it will ride smoothly at a higher RPM.

Is this typical of a bad tune? Can this be fixed with the TuneECU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Sounds like you need an injector screen cleaning, that's how my bike acted after I ran out of gas and my injector got dirrrrty :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAYMALAM View Post
I think you can check the maps with TuneEcu. Maybe trying the 15 minutes iddling then turn off. And the tps reset. What year it is?
Maybe you can ask AMa. He is the crack

KTM 690 Enduro R '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddoggin View Post
Yes, you need to re-map it with TuneECU. The 15 idle thing won't help with the problem you describe. Do it, and you will be amazed by the bike. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctNjC_7HtjE it will give you the basics of TuneECU. There is a thread here where you can ask questions: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685657
I tried the 15 minute idle, and it didn't work. At first it seemed like it did, but after an hour of driving it pretty hard, the engine issues popped back up. On to finding some cables and learning about TuneECU. If not that, injector. Thanks for the help guys.
jjswee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #14441
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
My own experience and counsel from master techs who wrench for a living; sometimes it is quicker and more expedient to take few extra steps so you have full access to what you are working on. Greasing the link is a good idea but inspecting and refreshing the swing arm bearings is probably more important. If you wait for a rear tire chance , you already have the rear wheel off, removing the rear damper is just one more bolt, it might be time to chane the oil and recharge the shock anyway. Disconnect the the rear brake, remove the right foot peg, drop the left and you can pull the link and swing arm for proper inspection and service. Easy peasy :-), you'll feel great when if is back together.
I've never tried lifting the bike on the engine, is it stable like that? I normally lift on the bash plate but as it mounts to the footbeg brackets it needs to be removed for a swingarm bearing check...
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #14442
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
I've never tried lifting the bike on the engine, is it stable like that? I normally lift on the bash plate but as it mounts to the footbeg brackets it needs to be removed for a swingarm bearing check...
Use some wood under the motor. Or use some straps to lift the bike by its frame to your garage door rails or something. Then you don't have to worry about the bike tipping over.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #14443
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswee View Post
I tried the 15 minute idle, and it didn't work. At first it seemed like it did, but after an hour of driving it pretty hard, the engine issues popped back up. On to finding some cables and learning about TuneECU. If not that, injector. Thanks for the help guys.
I can't speak to what's been done on the tuning side to your bike and not sure what an hour of pretty hard driving is, but I do know these bikes like to be wound out. You cannot lug them in the middle or upper gears. I've got an '09 Duke that's box stock which I bought new in March of 2010. I've got roughly 13K done. From day one its best range of operation has been between 4 and 5K. Anything less than 4K and it gets grumpy.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #14444
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
You got me curious as to what a PDM60 is...
A google comes up with several ADV threads.
Interesting device. I think I'll look more into it for use in my Truck.
It might help out on my 950 as well.

Here'sa quick youtube I found for others also curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLCBjFkMxQ

WOW- They sure are proud of that thing. Pricewise
I'm hoping CraftyCoder gets his PDU done pretty soon here.

http://www.motobrain.net/

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #14445
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 10,136
Anyone using the white RR Evo2 tanks? If so do they turn yellow like most clear plastic tanks ?

Thanks in advance

GRAVEL TRAVEL CANADA - Canada's source for overland routes

Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote