Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #1471
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Rally Raid is sending me a replacement tank. Service doesn't get any better than that!
If you wanted to unload that defective tank, hit me with a PM.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #1472
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Rally Raid is sending me a replacement tank. Service doesn't get any better than that!
Absolutely. I have rarely seen the same level of customer care and service as is seen from Rally Raid. John really looks after his customers.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #1473
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Absolutely. I have rarely seen the same level of customer care and service as is seen from Rally Raid. John really looks after his customers.

Just had a response from him tonight about the new soft luggage racks. I sent the email at a decent hour this past afternoon figuring I'd get a response Monday or something.
Great service!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #1474
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
If you wanted to unload that defective tank, hit me with a PM.
I have to send it back to Rally Raid.

Dave
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #1475
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,450
That's cool! It shows they care a lot about their reputation.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #1476
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 204
Trail Tech HID + Flasher - how to?

I see many of you have gone over to a Trail Tech or Baja Designs HID/Halogen 8" round on your 690. What did you use to hang your turn signal flashers off of (edit: mine is a 2008, and the flasher mount to the side of the headlight shroud? I think a late model EXC flasher bar might work (#7801433000), but am not sure. Your thoughts are appreciated.

jonnykilo screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 12:33 PM
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #1477
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Riders,
I am much more a rider than a mechanic

So all this ECU-vortex-schmortex talk confuses me just before it puts me to sleep...

So, if I found someone with one of these Vortex Holy Grail units and had the knowledgeable 690 guy do that voodoo, I am led to believe I would then be the happiest guy in the world.

Who is close to southern British Columbia that has such magic??? I would gladly drop by this spring with my 690 and let you do your magic. I would bribe you with beer, Canadian whiskey (or better yet, Jamieson's), and barbeque for such an event.

I would go as far south as Yakima or as far east as Edmonton (two places you only want to spend short periods of time ).....and in a special case, maybe Eugene , OR.

Any takers????
Thanks for the replies (Bart, Bob and Andy) and suggestions.

As I get a better understanding of the difference between a Vortx unit (hardware) and Tune ECU (software and reprogramming), it seems that I pay for the Vortex plug-and-play ($800 at KTM Twins ) or find someone with the necessary wires, adapters, etc who can do the computer reprogramming for probably a lot le$$ than that.

Am I missing something with this reductionist logic???

If I am correct, which path do folks recommend??? I am not sure my bike is running $800 worth of poor performance...

So, my offer of whiskey, barbeque, and applause remains (or whatever currency you suggest)....most likely for the Tune ECU reprogramming.

PM if you want.

It is winter here so I won't be riding until late March or April...which might be nice riding weather in Nevada

Thank you, kind sirs.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #1478
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykilo View Post
I see many of you have gone over to a Trail Tech or Baja Designs HID/Halogen 8" round on your 690. What did you use to hang your turn signal flashers off of? I think a late model EXC flasher bar might work (#7801433000), but am not sure. Your thoughts are appreciated.
I had no issues using the stock 690 turn signal mount with my 8" baja designs HID. I have the old style cage on my light, but the mounting is exactly the same as on the new ones.

The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #1479
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I had no issues using the stock 690 turn signal mount with my 8" baja designs HID. I have the old style cage on my light, but the mounting is exactly the same as on the new ones.
Thanks - I modified my post once I realized that the '09 and later speedo mount had arms on it to hang the flashers. My '08 has a side shroud on the headlight mask that has mounting holes for the flashers. So, remove the stock headlight = no place to hang flashers, unlike, as you note - the '09 onwards. I can't use the 09' model speedo mount as my speedo is the very diff '08 model and won't fit the integral '09 onwards speedo/flasher setup. Still thinking...
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #1480
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
I see many of you have gone over to a Trail Tech or Baja Designs HID/Halogen 8" round on your 690. What did you use to hang your turn signal flashers off of (edit: mine is a 2008, and the flasher mount to the side of the headlight shroud? I think a late model EXC flasher bar might work (#7801433000), but am not sure. Your thoughts are appreciated.
I integrated mine into the plastic part of the hand guards.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #1481
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
What did you use to hang your turn signal flashers off of (edit: mine is a 2008, and the flasher mount to the side of the headlight shroud?.
Maybe you saw this a couple of pages back

I'm using sicass integrated flashers. Have had to replace after didn't think I should so not overwhelmed by quality. Might look at HDB set up to if you like this path (bigger spend though.)
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #1482
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
I've been noticing a gas smell in the garage and discovered that my right side Rally Raid tank is weeping gas between the brass insert for the fuel petcock to screw into and the plastic of the tank! Not sure how to fix this one. I sent an email to Rally Raid to see what they have to say about it. No reply yet.

Has anyone here had this problem?
I have the same problem. Right tank too. Gas leaks at the interface between the bronze insert and the plastic itself. Around one drop a minute. If I blow air, positionning the air nozzle 6 to 8 inches away from the bronze insert, I see bubble in the tank ..

But I already have a spare tank on the shelf ... So the problem is already solved.

Paul Jr
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #1483
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Replacement tank has already shipped from the UK and is supposed to arrive THIS WEDNESDAY. Mind blowing customer service! Huge kudos to Rally Raid!!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #1484
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
That is exacxtly where mine is ... may be similar to yours , crank helped me. it works great and i have no complaint or problems

i never payed attention to realize the switch worked that way..... always learnin

Same here.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #1485
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Got a question on mounting dash to TT 8" Race Light - I purchased the ballast plate at the same time as as the lamp.

But I didn't like the exposed reminder that KTM's electrics department modeled loom on bowl of noodles.

Some of y'all have talked rewire but I opted for camo - outa site outa mind. Until it fails that is.

Drilled the ballast plate to receive plastic dash (trimming required) then cut and pounded aluminum plate for sides. If doing it again, I'd opt for single plate replacing ballast and 2 sides.

Side plates fit under ballast mounting with shared fasteners.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote