User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
chiefrider OP
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,170
GL1100 dualsport?

A friend of mine has an old 1983 GL1100 GoldWing (standard, no fairing nor saddlebags). It's been his main ride for years, but it has been demoted to second-string status due to his purchase of a full-boat six-cylinder 'Wing.

I think he should dual-sport it. Not for gnarly trail rides, but for gravel road duty.

Anybody have any experience with this? The stock front tire is a 110/90-19 and his rear a 130/90-17, which, I think, would work with much of the adventure bike skins available, from TKC80's to Tourances.

Pictures would be cool !

Tom
Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
puncar thogoole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
http://www.emilioscotto.com/home.html

according to the World Guinness Records, "the longest journey ever made by man in a motorcycle."

Emilio traveled 735,000 Kms across 279 countries and territories in a 10 year period, on the famous “Black Princess”, his Honda Gold Wing 1100 motorcycle.

puncar thogoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider
A friend of mine has an old 1983 GL1100 GoldWing (standard, no fairing nor saddlebags). It's been his main ride for years, but it has been demoted to second-string status due to his purchase of a full-boat six-cylinder 'Wing.

I think he should dual-sport it. Not for gnarly trail rides, but for gravel road duty.

Anybody have any experience with this? The stock front tire is a 110/90-19 and his rear a 130/90-17, which, I think, would work with much of the adventure bike skins available, from TKC80's to Tourances.

Pictures would be cool !

Tom
You might want to check again, because both my old 83 GoldWings had a 120/90-18 front and I think a 140/90-16 rear. Those might be the right sizes for the 82 or 81 though. I remember because I put on a set of sport tires one size smaller, because of the way I rode it I wanted quicker handling. Then I got smart and sold it to buy an 86 Nighthawk S.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
chuck c
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
Tom
I like this idea a lot. I've decided that if I get one, that's what I'm going to do to. I've already picked the tires. I plan to fab a skid plate, add a fork brace, and of course weld some old 20mm ammo cans on. The carb intake location would make a fording snorkel pretty easy. Imagine a bike that you can ride in 2 feet of water! The GL would do it!
chuck c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 539
This should be good.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 829
I've seen, somewhere, a write-up on someone who dualsported a GL1000 and even raced it on an MX track. I don't see why a GL1100 would be any different. The weight isn't that much more than the big BMWs a lot of people ride around in the dirt.

Edit: here's the site with the GL1000: http://www.freewebs.com/mzrider/offroadonagoldwing.htm

Edit #2: Nevermind, it's actually a GL1100 on that site, not a GL1000.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 880

He drives a Volvo. 'Nuff said.

Those Comstars must be lovin' that abuse.

As far as weight goes, a naked GL1100 is over well 600 lbs, wet. That is over 160lb more than a R90/6. Just looking at the engine tells you that all the extra reciprocating and rotating mass, not to mention the water jacketing and radiators will add hernia inducing poundage to the "get it off my leg!" total over an Airhead.

That said, it would look cool, if you could ever get it to stop pushing the front end.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
JHNH
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I know the guys on this forum ride some interesting bikes off road (well, pretty much anywhere) but that seems like a lot to be picking up when you drop it!

The picture of that conversion does look pretty cool
JHNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 829
He could always do it to the 6-cylinder 'Wing, too:

A couple shots of it in action:

SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote