http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2755227706.html

1982 yamaha seca 650cc almost a complete bike
Just needs carbs you can get them on ebay
The motor has great compression has 140 in all cyclindrs
All the body parts are in great shape
Does not have a title but you can get a title from the DMV
Bike has 12000 miles on it

$250 firm cash only

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #17
willierides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Bought this in '04:

Nice "fuses":

Traded it away looking it like this in '09:

Bought this for $200,

did some carb work, recovered the seat, painted it...a few things I've forgotten.

Sold it for $1,000 like this:

I'm kind of over the XJ's now.....I am getting my TT500 ready to go vintage flattrackin'! :)
01 CR250 ("DTX"), '72 Bultaco Astro flattrackers
02 RM125 basket case
willierides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #18
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,902
I bought this 1982 Yamaha Seca 750 off a local inmate for a steal. I had to put the carbs back in, get new spark plugs, new battery and new fork seals and she's a solid runner.

I really want a fairing for it. These bikes look awesome with the stock fairings.

Sorry about the picture, I'll try to get better ones someday.

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
My first ever brand new bike was this 1982 Yamaha 750 Seca.

About 30 years later.

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 08:37 PM
RideDualSport.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,902
I think it's funny that the OP's name is leakypetcock since mine just started leaking a week ago. Ordered a rebuild kit last night so hopefully it will solve the issue. Anyone go from the vacuum operated petcock to a simple, on/off switch one?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
I think it's funny that the OP's name is leakypetcock since mine just started leaking a week ago. Ordered a rebuild kit last night so hopefully it will solve the issue. Anyone go from the vacuum operated petcock to a simple, on/off switch one?
Before you use the rebuild kit, check the two screws on the back of the petcock, and see if they have backed out a bit. The only time mine ever dribbled on the floor was due to that problem. If that was the cause, save the new parts for when the petcock finally does begin to drool.

If you can find one to check for fit, a non-vacuum petcock from a Banshee looks as though it might work. I'm not terribly fond of the vacuum setup either, and fwiw every XJ engine I've checked the compression/leakdown on has it's weakest cylinder on the one that was attached to the petcock.

If you haven't replaced the vacuum hose that goes to your existing petcock, do that the next time you've got the tank off.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #22
CatTracker
CatTracker

Oddometer: 18
OK, I'll play... Here's my 82 750 Maxim. You might want to check out XJbikes.com if you haven't yet. Loads of good advice on anything XJ related. Also XJ4ever.com for OEM parts at reasonable prices.

CatTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,308
I am looking at picking up an 82 650 Seca, cheap. The guy says it runs, but makes an " odd, non-metallic sound" when running. Pretty vague I know, but I'm going to assume worst possible scenario. The bike has almost 100,k on it, but it's all stock and very clean, right down to the exhaust. So my plan was just find a much lower mileage engine and switch them. I see from other parts of this thread that the 650 and 750 engines are fairly interchangeable, but how similar is the 900. Is it based on the 650/750, or is it altogether different. Just thinking in the same terms as the twin cam Honda's, the 750/900/1100 are all based on the same motor, each one being slightly taller than it's smaller sibling, but sharing many parts. Are the Yamaha engines the same kind of thing?
I've always liked the 650 Seca's. My favourite out of all the XJ series. I'd like to try to bring it back to life.

Any guesses on what the noise might be from? I know they are a pretty sturdy motor, not really know for any major problems, but with 100k. I start thinking connecting rods etc....who knows.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I am looking at picking up an 82 650 Seca, cheap. The guy says it runs, but makes an " odd, non-metallic sound" when running. Pretty vague I know, but I'm going to assume worst possible scenario. The bike has almost 100,k on it, but it's all stock and very clean, right down to the exhaust. So my plan was just find a much lower mileage engine and switch them. I see from other parts of this thread that the 650 and 750 engines are fairly interchangeable, but how similar is the 900. Is it based on the 650/750, or is it altogether different. Just thinking in the same terms as the twin cam Honda's, the 750/900/1100 are all based on the same motor, each one being slightly taller than it's smaller sibling, but sharing many parts. Are the Yamaha engines the same kind of thing?
I've always liked the 650 Seca's. My favourite out of all the XJ series. I'd like to try to bring it back to life.

Any guesses on what the noise might be from? I know they are a pretty sturdy motor, not really know for any major problems, but with 100k. I start thinking connecting rods etc....who knows.
The noise is probably the cam chain rattling, and it's normal when they get tired. An aircooled with 100K miles will do that.

The XJ650/750/900 engines all use the same frame mounting points, and the 900 engine will physically fit into the hole. It's a snug fit, but it'll work.

fyi- the XJ900 engines were just a max bored and stroked 750, and were actually 850's. Slightly bigger valves and taller gearing, beaucoups midrange. Also getting hard to find.

If you want to use a 900 Seca engine in your 650's frame, there will be some minor issues to deal with: you'll need to toss the air box, install something else for air filters, and probably re-jet. There may be some (curable) exhaust fitment issues getting a 650/750 exhaust to fit as it should with a 900 engine in there, or a 900 pipe to fit all the 650's frame locating points. Very different carbs, so you may need to make up a throttle cable. The 900 oil cooler will not bolt directly to the 650 frame... same-same, but not same-same.

No deal-breakers, just more things to massage.

With these engines, the stock pipes made the best/broadest power, so no.... a 4-into-1 pipe is NOT a cure.

The 900 into your 650's frame may have a few minor gas tank/valve cover interference points, but nothing that couldn't be cured with a bit of hammer work.

I'm using a 750 Seca engine in my 650 Seca frame. Stock 650 pipes, 750 ignition and airbox, 650 turbo oil cooler. The 750 airbox fits with some of fiddling, and you need to shave a bit off the leading edge of both sidecovers. Both bikes use the same carbs, so it's just a needle and a main-jet change. The 650 toolkit tray interferes with 750 airbox snorkel; my cure for now is to keep the toolkit in my tankbag, and the tray's been removed.

You end up with about the the same top end, but with all the extra mid-range getting there happens a lot faster...most passes don''t require downshifts, and 5th gear works down to under 25 mph. Other than the increased shove, the only other difference is that there's noticeably less room between the petcock and the valve cover when you switch to reserve. There's still enough finger room to easily switch to reserve, but it's just barely enough.

Aaannnddddd... the XJ750 engine weighs about 5 pounds less than the non-YICS 650.

650 on the left, 750 on the right.

Tosh Togo screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 11:34 PM
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post

Just something else to consider, there are a ton of the Maxim 650s out there. Yamaha sold those like hotcakes compared to the Seca. It might be easier to find one of those as an engine donor.

I've always absolutely loved the look of the Seca 650.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #26
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 3,001
+1 on the camchain. And what most people don't know that wears them out is that there is a self adjuster. Just loosen a locknut and let it thunk, then tighten back every 10000 or so and you are good....
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,308
That's the kind of info I need to know. very helpful. I think I'm going to buy the bike regardless. Like i said, worst case is the whole motor, lots of used ones around.
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #28
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post
+1 on the camchain. And what most people don't know that wears them out is that there is a self adjuster. Just loosen a locknut and let it thunk, then tighten back every 10000 or so and you are good....
True, although the backing-off needs to be done with all the camchain slack at the rear. Under the left engine cover on the end of the crank, there's a stamped "C" mark on the timing plate to line up with the pointer first.

The XJ750 engine doesn't have one, so I forgot about that adjustment.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Finally got my Seca 750 ready after messing with the carburator for 2 yrs.

With 3k on the odometer I hope it will last for a while.

It purrs and runs smooth like silk, and roars when needed.

achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Wow Achtung thats super clean,and yes it's an XJ! last the rest of your life with just regular maintenance.
I like them too. One of my 900's

And parts bike that was to good to part

The 750 I still have [the first 900 was bought as a parts bike as well]

My wife is very understanding .......mostly.
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote