User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Going for a ride.....on a Ural....

I REALLY need to get away from the office. Either I snap or I snap something...., so I decided to hop on the Ural and ride. My wife, who normally sits in the hack for many an adventure, including the Trans Lab in 2009, gave me the OK, because I needed it. Gotta love her...well, I do....

If it comes together as planned, I should be leaving Ottawa this Tuesday September 13 at the latest. My first stop will most likely be Crawford's Sales in Michigan, the main Ural parts distribution centre in NA. They are good people and I need a few things. From there, I am probably heading towards San Fransisco, a place I have always wanted to visit. From SF, I will either go North West, and meet some fellow foilheads and IMZ, or head south and visit friends in San Diego.. This trip is not planned and I like it that way. Things will change on the fly, and I will not make apologies for that, so hopefully people will understand that....

Anyway, here is my ride.....

My "planned" route....

I plan on camping when I need to, or hotelling it when required, depending on the weather.....I really want to ride my bike on this trip, so pictures may not be aplenty....but I will share what I can....I plan on getting a Netbook for this trip, as my Iphone is not enough.......

Berger screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 07:36 AM
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 652
I live in Oakland - a pretty nice neighborhood with good parking and a driveway and floorspace for a night or two (when I get back!)
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,307
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Aye...UralBerger......show me the way. Good Luck and Godspeed from your fellow Hacker and Hackette!

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,977
My oldest son rides a Ural. We was an accomplished road racer until he got hurt, so strange bed fellows. I have no idea how he became attracted to Urals, but he rides it to work every day in Boston in all weather.

This summer he took the Ural with his GF in the hack through remote Baja. He even had to use that shovel a few times to make the rougher sections. We tracked him on a Spot 2, and were ready to send the Air Force if he got in trouble.

I went and saw him when he got back. The Ural looked suitably worn out and every wheel was wobbly on its rusty spokes. You Ural people are a rare breed.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, it looks like I will be leaving on Tuesday morning because I have a few things to take care of before I go. I think this will be a great trip, because I made my customary gaf yesterday, causing a frantic, last minute scramble for parts. I have an aftermarket airbox for the Ural, but to use it, I need to rejet. After years of keeping everything safe in my trunk...I lost those freakin jets . I placed an order for some, but they won't get here in time. I am just going to bring the airbox with me, run with the stocker, and hopefully get some jets on the way.

Other than my clothes, I have pretty much everything I need ready. I have quite a few spare bits that I have had with me since my trip to Halifax and the Trans Lab, and enough tools to start a repair shop ....thankfully, the Ural can take it all. I also picked up a USMC 2 man combat tent, a self inflating mattress, a sleeping back rated for -15. I also picked up an HP mini 110 Netbook for this trip, 'cause I was not going to use my Iphone!!
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
RheinGold
Weniger aber besser.

Oddometer: 36
Have a GREAT trip and keep us posted- your adventure rider is what dreams and memories are made of!

Ted
RheinGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Have a great trip...

Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
UralBerger...don't forget to make a link in the " Hack" section so that us Hacksters can follow your journey!
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
UralBerger...don't forget to make a link in the " Hack" section so that us Hacksters can follow your journey!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
You Ural people are a rare breed.

We are indeed....Thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

Some good news....FOUND MY JETS!! They were in the exact same place I "lost" my Iphone. Guess I should have gone there first.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
can't wait to follow along.
have a great and safe time
subscribed !
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I am in Port Huron, Michigan. I left my house at about 7:40 this morning, and I got here at 6:30. Stopped a few times and delivered a Trax Top box to EDO. In all, I did about 700KM. I would check the exact number, but I am sitting in the Quality Inn in Port Huron drinking free beer (well, it is Blue, so I use the term beer loosely... ), and eating free wings!! Customer appreciation or something.

The ride down was great, and it was all sun until Sarnia, where I got spit on for a bit, but nothing major. I am not a huge fan of TO and Southern Ontario, so I really motored through. I hope to hit Crawford's Sales in South Lyon tomorrow.

Ready to go...

Got stuck in some traffic in Sarnia, just before the border...

Freed food and BEER!!

Anyway, the free stuff ended at 7PM, so I really should find my room.....
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Berger OP
Studly Adventurer

What a great day....the weather was spectacular, and I am in a helmet free state....Indiana!! It was a slower paced day today, as I only rode 488KM. I also got off the Interstates and hit the secondaries, like 127, 12 etc. I would have gone further, but I blame Terry Crawford for that.... .

My first planned stop on this trip was Crawford Sales in South Lyon, MI. Definitely one of the places to visit if you own a Ural, IMHO.

The bike hasn't been "feeling" quite right, so I asked Terry if he could adjust my carbs. I sold my Twin Max before the trip because I had ordered a Harmonizer to take with me....it must be deemed a dangerous device by CBSA, because it still hadn't arrived 14 days after I ordered it, and I had to go. Anyway, Terry took care of me and had them sorted in no time. Thanks Terry!! Terry and I are both blessed with a gift for the gab, especially when it comes to Ural's, and I learned a lot from being there. Of course, I also picked up a few parts and accessories....

Here is Terry accepting a T-shirt from the CURD rally. Thanks again for the donations!! (Ken, I got one for you too... )

A few weeks ago, I lost my Ural gas cap and had to replace it with a Crappy Tire universal one....problem solved...and it isn't CHROME!!

Back to the road.....

My next planned stop is going to be in Iowa, so I picked a few secondary roads to take from Michigan on down, and across. On one of theses roads, I forget exactly where this was (Highway 127?), there was a used car dealership like none I have ever seen...I had to stop!!

Classic cars EVERYWHERE, and some obscure models too. The owner must really be fond of the number $8000, because almost every car had that number written on it. He wasn't a fan of negotiation either, because he also wrote hilarious things like "Probably just keep it, firm," under his favorite number...

After I left there, I jumped onto US12 and had a great ride through many a small town. The Ural was made for these roads. At about 3:30, I started getting hungry, most likely cause I hadn't eaten since 8AM. I keep a good supply of carbs wrapped around my mid section, so I can go longer than most without food....kind of like a camel and water.... ....but even a camel must drink eventually! I stopped at this great Bike/Sports Bar right beside a Harley/Honda etc dealership. I was immediately drawn to the old bikes in the window...quite a few old harleys, beemers, hondas etc. The personal pizza hit the spot, and so did the Sam Adams summer ale....

From the Artesian Well's bar, I got back on the road....which led me to Indiana, South Bend to be exact. I am not a huge US College Football fan, but being where I am implies a visit to Notre Dame....besides, I have a few things to confess....Bless me Father for I.....whoops, not here....

Well, time to sign off and find an Applebee's....seems like the place to be around here....