Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Excellent lightning pic!
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #167
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,520
Day 8: Last day

I tried to give Peaches a hard time about bringing a halfway broken down bike out west and make fun of him for having to ride a mountain bike the last day, but he just laughed and shrugged me off. I think he went down pretty quickly once he got on the trail on this bike; maybe he will get on here and tell that story!:

You've probably already read the other write ups about this day, so I'll just add to the eye candy:

Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #168
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Excellent lightning pic!

Thanks...Just a split second before that, it would have been a much much better picture.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #169
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
I looked at Supah and subtly gestured that I would like to give the big KTM a spin. Of course he graciously said sure, go ahead.

I didn't get any pictures because until I got back on the highway I was to busy screaming "HELL YEAH" inside my helmet. I was also smiling so hard my cheeks hurt. The big bike is awesome on terrain like this! 100+ horsepower screaming to be turned loose. Power sliding corners, jumping cattle guards, and ripping through the rocks! I have a GSA at home but the off road handling difference is like night and day. We got back to the highway and I wanted to throw my helmet, and raise my hands in the air, like I had just won a race. Yes, I know it's a little corny but that's how I felt.
I guess Size does matter!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #170
evilbollweevil
HDkila

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Thanks...Just a split second before that, it would have been a much much better picture.
I told a girl that same thing one time...

Life has a smell that the protected and sheltered will never know...
evilbollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #171
evilbollweevil
HDkila

Oddometer: 1,071
Not sure if its my internet service or smug but I cant get anything at all to load... not even the pics I already have on smug will load.

Life has a smell that the protected and sheltered will never know...
evilbollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #172
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,461
Please forgive my lack of organization, but here is a glimpse of some of my memories in no particular order:

RIDING my motorsickle from Colorado to Utah. Despite being heckled for having a gimp starter the BMW was the only bike that did this leg of the trip under it's own propulsion:

I crossed paths with the Okies on Main Street and they invited me to join them at Slickrock.

But AFTER I paid my park entrance fee they all said I was crazy to even try to follow them. They are probly right, but I had paid the fee, so I'm in at this point.

We reached the end of the practice loop and Tom asked how everyone felt continuing. One guy said he was pretty beat from the day's ride and decided to head back for beer. I figure if the trail doesn't get much worse I can handle it. Tom then says "the trail gets worse!" Great!

So we kept on. The further we went the more uneasy I started to feel about things. I can handle the GS ok when she's rolling, but this trail had some steep up and downs with sections of sand thrown in before, after, and during. There were sharp turns mid hill and even sections where you ride "on" the angled embankment. To me this meant no momentum and what I would say was THE most technical riding I did all trip.

Tom dropped his bike on this switch. It is a ridicoulous turn! 180 degrees in less than 4 feet, hole on inside so no dabbing, ledge on outside, so DON'T go there! I walked the hill and honestly couldn't see myself making this turn on ANY machine. (More on that later) After Tom's drop his carb was fouled and he could not get things to act right.

We watched in uneager anticipation

After a trailside repair, Tom decides his bike can't continue in the current shape, it barely idles. So we turn around and head back. At this point me and Nooner were pretty disappointed, we were looking forward to showing those small bikes how to really negate the tight section! We limped back to town and visited with the guys for a bit before heading back to meet my group.

It was great to meet ya'll and thanks for inviting me along.

The next day on Shaifer Trial:

looking down:

I went ahead of the group, thinking I would get some shots of the decent

but you cant see the little blips moving down the hill b/c of the angle & then this guy started to cherge me like a bull:

\

I was waiting near the intersection of Schaifer and Potash when I noticed the Okie crew rolling through. I thought I was in a better position to photo them then my fellow comrades, so I sped off:

Honestly, it took a good 20 minutes to get this close, man this place is BIGGGGGGG!:

After busting balls for about half an hour I managed to get close enough to taste dust and snapped some pics:

From here I decided to shoot phots back across as the group explored Muscleman Arch, over 1/2 mile away:

luckily I had zoom lens. I f you look real hard, you will see Weave still carrying his camera... :

I had to hike around this to get pics, and they have no respect for the tolls I endured to get snapshots of their ugly faces:

What I saw:

The lens helps alot:

"Jesus looking down over me" (look at the silhouette)

One of my fav over looks passing the trail:

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8

eatalotapeaches screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 08:43 AM
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #173
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Missi'ppi, we likes to eat!:

Myself

EBW, AKA "wings, clear for take off"

"prettyboy Mc SupahFly" Where's the Cheesy poofs?

I can has Husky?

I found mud puddle presenting a wonderful photo op, but David was faster than my camera. I caught Weave and Paddle:

approaching Murphey's Hogback:

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #174
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

I best way I can describe the WRT, 90 miles of this, unimaginable expanse, filled by various tyles of terrain that are ready to challenge you at any moment. I, personally like it better than Colorado.:

It's getting late so I'm turning in, more photos at MY convenience. Unless I catch more hell for turning over what I have so far.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #175
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,959
Thanks Peaches. Excellent photos
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #176
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,098
peaches-nice job with a Gs at slickrock! The switchback you had issues with is easier to by going a bit further down the rock from where the dots lead to the switchback. Point it straight down to where the trail goes left around the rock at the bottom. Much easier, you will have traction for braking same route on the way up. It looks near vertical, but lean forward and commit. Once you have done that it makes that area a non issue. There is another ledge further down, but other than those two areas, slickrock is pretty easy, smooth flowing! I would love to see a Gs complete the loop!
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #177
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Peaches....Thanks for the pics. Excellent job. Mr ride is still red. After seeing the pic of me with a sea of red mud flying I remembered why. Damn it Praches, once I saw you "the hunter" gracefully poised for my pic I felt this sudden urge to make a splash for you. Thanks today. Maybe curses tomorrow when I wash my ride.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #178
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
thanks Daniel,nice shots
With the shadows beggining to get long,Mark nd I headed down dead horse canyon

nice ride down
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #179
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644