Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #61
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,961
Someone asked earlier about GPS tracks. I don't have any, sorry. I had some waypoints set for some areas that I hadn't ridden before, but nothing was really routed. The single track (Wilson Mesa Trail) was found on a paper map. I just typed in a Google search for it and several links came up. That may be your best source of info. I believe there were other single track trails in the area but I don't remember their names. Nothing we rode was a secret and I will gladly give information on any of it, if I can.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #62
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Nice pics of the steps!

And no jeeps blocking the way - lucky!
The steps don't look half as scary in that picture looking up as they did sitting on a bike and looking down!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #63
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,541
Day 4: Black Bear and Immogene Passes

Unlike DQ, I was terrified of doing Black Bear on the 990 (well, really on any bike). I knew he was disappointed that he didn't get to run it last year and was bound and determined to do it this year, so I had been doing a lot of research: watching videos, reading threads on ADV, etc. Instead of this helping me relax about riding Black Bear, it only served to make me more uptight about it; of course last year when I realized that we wouldn't be doing Black Bear, I made sure DQ knew I was ssssssooooo disappointed too!

Eventually, the time came for me to mount up and just get on with it. I did it. It wasn't pretty. I almost busted my ass a couple of times. In the end, I am happy I did it, but I don't know about doing it again. At least not on the 990.

On with my pics from that day.

Paddle:

Weave:

BW:

EBW:

Big goofy looking dude:

The obligatory Telluride photo:

DQ and Peaches can't wait to get to "The Steps":

The rest of us slugs are taking a breather!:

No turning back now!:

DQ, the guinea pig:

Woohoo, he made it!:

Peaches on Weave's bike:

Peaches on the big GS:

Sorry EBW, BW and Paddle I didn't get pictures of you. I think I was rearranging my bike when y'all went down "The Steps".

The switchbacks after were pretty gnarly too:

Weave taking in the beauty:

I don't think BW knew what I was trying to do here. He kept and accelerating and giving me the same look I gave him when he was trying to tell me my back tire was flat:

Headed to a well deserved lunch:

Various pics from Immogene:

Last year, it was dark when we got here:

Same fat bastard:

DQ ripping and snorting:

After having read my account of riding Immogene last year, I feel sort of sheepish to have written it. It kind of came off sounding a bit whiny, although I think it was a fair portrayal of how miserable it was. Like DQ said, it was different this year; the road was better, it was earlier in the day and we had different bikes. Funny what a difference a year makes.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #64
billyji
Goat Trail Green

Oddometer: 60
subscribed..
What a variry of bikes....

Mike Green
billyji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #65
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyji View Post
subscribed..

Mike Green
, yes and if you ask any one of us, we'll tell you ours was the best.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #66
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
You are correct, sir. Not only did I have no idea of what you were doing, I was getting pissed at certain "big bikes" that kept trying to pass me in tight spots, switch backs, technical downhills, and decided I just wasn't going to let the "big bikes" run all over me anymore... Sorry for my misapplied angst and thanks for the pic!
Well, as far as I remember, I only passed you once off road. I thought I did it in a wide, safe, reasonable manner. If I've offended you, I'm sorry.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #67
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyji View Post
subscribed..

Mike Green

Glad to see you subscribe to the report, Mike!

Tell Lenda I said hi. We need to get together and ride K trail.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 09-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #68
Supahflid
Wheelieless

I forgot to post this pic from Day 2 or 3:

Meeting the Oklahoma boys:

Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #69
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,144
Great RR so far! Looking forward to the adventures in Moab. Way to fucking go doing Wilson Mesa with the big bikes. People have issues there with more trail friendly bikes, and my KLX650R is usually laughed at for being a "big" bike. Did you guys come out at the halfway point and go down Silverpick Rd or did you follow it all the way towards Woods Lake and down Fall Creek? Also, PM me if you are coming back next year. There is some other decent, but not too technical singletrack on the Uncompahgre Plateau, west of Montrose, or also more trails in the areas off Bolam Pass, which connects near Rico on Hwy 145 to Durango Mountain Resort. Just throwing it out there if you are needing more/new places to play next year.
Thanks again for some good shots of my backyard. I am broken currently and seeing all the bikes coming off the passes here in Telluride kills me, but seeing photos like that reminds me of fun times!
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #70
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Thanks. The plan was to run it all the way through but with the flat, dead battery, time spent picking up bikes, and the usual goofing around that we tend to do, we were quickly running out of daylight. We exited at the cross road. (I guess that was Silverpick Rd?)

Thanks for the offer to show us around. We haven't made any plans for next year yet but I would certainly love to go back.

Seeing your location under your user name reminded me, I met a guy riding a BMW 650 that said he used to own a MC shop in Telluride. I think it had the same name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Great RR so far! Looking forward to the adventures in Moab. Way to fucking go doing Wilson Mesa with the big bikes. People have issues there with more trail friendly bikes, and my KLX650R is usually laughed at for being a "big" bike. Did you guys come out at the halfway point and go down Silverpick Rd or did you follow it all the way towards Woods Lake and down Fall Creek? Also, PM me if you are coming back next year. There is some other decent, but not too technical singletrack on the Uncompahgre Plateau, west of Montrose, or also more trails in the areas off Bolam Pass, which connects near Rico on Hwy 145 to Durango Mountain Resort. Just throwing it out there if you are needing more/new places to play next year.
Thanks again for some good shots of my backyard. I am broken currently and seeing all the bikes coming off the passes here in Telluride kills me, but seeing photos like that reminds me of fun times!
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012

DavidQ screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 03:15 PM
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #71
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Supa bringing the big K down
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #72
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Hope you heal quickly.I did alot of map study prior to trip not knowing how much I would be ble to ride with my wrist.Looked at the Plateau thought it would be pretty good. Rode bolan last year and was looking at the road connecting below Rico,very scenic area,would like to know more about each.Curious about the second half of Wilson Mesa.Will Pm you next year
but I have to say,Moab has my attention now.....what a riding paradise
(I was a Moab virgin)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #73
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
and a thousand more for the great pics and you guys surviving on those huge bikes in places I'd never ride one

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #74
KLR 41B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
KLR 41B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #75
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,144
[QUOTE=weave;16840924]Hope you heal quickly.I did alot of map study prior to trip not knowing how much I would be ble to ride with my wrist.Looked at the Plateau thought it would be pretty good. Rode bolan last year and was looking at the road connecting below Rico,very scenic area,would like to know more about each.Curious about the second half of Wilson Mesa.Will Pm you next year
but I have to say,Moab has my attention now.....what a riding paradise
(I was a Moab virgin)[/QUOTE
No quick healing here (snapped achilles!) so better to take it slow, lotsa rehab and think of spring rides. Moab is definitely an awesome area. I think that is why i love our location here so much. Spring/fall and sometimes winter we go ride Moab (2hrs away) or Flat Top/Peach Valley by Montrose (300 miles of trails, big variety, rarely crowded) and then we have the local passes and singletrack in the summer when the snow clears and those other places are too hot. Be glad to show you around if it works out next summer! Bring smaller bikes and you can get into the fun stuff! Funny to that you met the ranger, at least it was just a warning. I have had a few of those myself, been radared at the top of Imogene and soundchecked in Yankee Boy. I have found one of the funnest things to do is run Imogene in the middle of night with a full moon. 45 mins town to town if you don't stop, and no ranger or trail traffic!
MountainsandRivers is offline   Reply With Quote