User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #91
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,550
Day 5: True Grit scenery

I was happy too to have an easy day. I guess I was probably a little tired, because I just couldn't seem to focus much on riding; I kept finding myself way away from the pack just sort of putting along. It was damp and chilly all day and that seemed to match well with my mood.

GQ again:

Weave not taking a picture; I wonder if he lost that camera yet?:

Cool clouds coming in over the hills:

Weave, Paddle and DQ somewhere in the distance:

Mr. Grumpy Ass:

I think it was Weave who said that the original True Grit was filmed in the area we rode that day. Weave?

We got back to the hotel and hustled to get our bags packed so we could be off to Moab!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #92
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post

I think it was Weave who said that the original True Grit was filmed in the area we rode that day. Weave?

Most of the movie was filmed in Ouray and near Owl Creek Pass. The picture above is the backdrop of the famous shootout scene at the end of the movie.

This is what it looked like when the movie was made.

Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012

DavidQ screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 03:02 PM
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #93
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Most of the movie was filmed in Ouray and near Owl Creek Pass. The picture above is the backdrop of the famous shootout scene at the end of the movie.

This is what it looked like when the movie was made.

Awesome! Cool pic.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #94
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Notes from the day: If you are looking for smooth, scenic, and fast, the area around Owl Creek is incredible. There are countless dirt roads that we passed. A person could spend quite a bit of time exploring the area, and not worry much about getting themselves into trouble. However, we also saw some nice looking single track trails.

Up next: The White Rim Trail in Moab. Is it closed or can you ride it all the way through?
There are two roads off Hwy50 Called Cimarron and Little Cimarron not real far east from the Owl Creek Rd that are the same way.

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #95
vfrgreg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
The True Grit Cafe' is in Ridgeway. It was in the movie as well. I sent someone a message to eat there while ya'll were there.

R1200RT
vfrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #96
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Sorry EBW, BW and Paddle I didn't get pictures of you. I think I was rearranging my bike when y'all went down "The Steps".

backwoodsklr.......I'm quite frankly pleased you missed my eventful traverse of Black Bear. While you were busy rearranging your bike I was busy smearing mine down Black Bear. Well, I rode part of it then walked it down the rest of the steps as the "second " drop broke my clutch lever. Thanks guys for your support. Weave and I would have never attempted it without your help. Your kind words such as" you pansie asses" really motivated us.

Here's a few for you. My favorite is the first as it gives some scale to the ledges.

Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #97
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
More Black Bear pics.
An anxious group we were.

Weave hitting his stride.
Evil at his best.

Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #98
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Looks like you guys had fun!

Did I read right about the fellow on the 690 only having a few days experience on the dirt before this?!?! Talk about trial by fire--good googly moogly!

Hurry up and get this ride report to utah; my buddy (enderthex) and I are leaving for a 2 week colorado/utah trip this Friday!!! We need up to the minute trail conditions, haha, perfect timing for your CO/UT ride report.

Nice ride report, I love the multitude of bikes. Just goes to show, there's no right or wrong, just get on two wheels and ride!!!
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #99
a57m2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Does size matter?

Great Report!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #100
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by child View Post
Looks like you guys had fun!

Did I read right about the fellow on the 690 only having a few days experience on the dirt before this?!?! Talk about trial by fire--good googly moogly!

Hurry up and get this ride report to utah; my buddy (enderthex) and I are leaving for a 2 week colorado/utah trip this Friday!!! We need up to the minute trail conditions, haha, perfect timing for your CO/UT ride report.

Nice ride report, I love the multitude of bikes. Just goes to show, there's no right or wrong, just get on two wheels and ride!!!

Nope... The guy on the 990 only had a few hours of dirt experience on THAT bike. He just bought it. He had a KLR for a couple of years before that.
I will move on to Moab tomorrow. It should be a good report.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #101
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a57m2000 View Post
Great Report!!!

Thanks...Glad you are enjoying it. Stay tuned for the Moab portion starting tomorrow.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 09-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #102
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Child

The ride report you guys did last year really helped out on my first dual sport trip to CO.
for me the highlights of this trip were the wilson=mesa trail and Utah.
we only did hlf the trail,would be nice to see what the other half holds.
Directions to trail
Cross ophir
go straight across the blacktop
hang a left at the bridge
go up
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #103
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,223
As said above, EBW and I loaded up our KLR's and rushed off to Moab to try to make it to Arrowhead Motorsports before Fred closed. EBW had jacked up his shifter to where it functioned as a heal and toe shifter. We were also going to check on a clutch leaver for Paddle.

So off we went. Rain started almost as soon as we pulled out of Ouray. Soon we got out of the storm.

We made it to Arrowhead in plenty of time!

I must say, Fred is awesome! He has pretty much anything one would need for a KLR, including a great selection of tires and farkles. Even Doohicky parts! EBW got his shifter and even grabbed a set of pivot pegs. I decided my stock 15T gearing was a bit much and decided to grab a 14T while there. We started doing the change out right there in the truck and noticed my rear sprocket was almost toast. Just starting to saw blade. So we ended up doing both sprockets and a new chain.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #104
DavidQ OP
We Don't Rent Pigs

Wednesday, September 7th

The plan for today was to complete the White Rim Trail. This is one of my favorite rides. There are some rocky sections, go-fast sections, and the scenery is incredible!

Last year we rode the WRT but the Mineral Bottom switchbacks were washed out. We rode in about 50 miles then turned around.

This year, the switchbacks are fixed but we heard on the way out that the Green River had flooded and the trail was closed at about the 75 mile mark.

We left Moab a little earlier than our usual departure time (about 7:30). We stopped at Arches View campground to top off our tanks and pick up some snacks for the day.

Entering Canyonlands (AKA make-out national park) Hey! Get a room!

When we arrived at the guard shack, the ranger said that the trail was partially closed but we would have no trouble getting through on our bikes. They just didn't want jeeps and trucks going through the "puddles". I was fired up! She told everyone else the same thing. This was a relief because if it were closed we would only be able to go half way, then turn around, because of fuel.

We entered from the Shaffer Switchbacks side.

Musselman Arch

The scenery

Peaches taking high quality pictures that we will probably never see.

More scenery

About 10 miles after we left Musselman Arch, Weave couldn't find his camera. He thought he had lost it on the trail. Supah and Evil volunteered to go look for it. Weave asked them not to go but they were insistent. The rest of us continued on to this spot.

and waited

Peaches showed up but hasn't seen them

We waited so long, Paddle decided to do some climbing.

We waited for over an hour and decided to go back to look for them.
I went about 4 miles before seeing them. Everything was fine but they didn't find the camera.

Weave taking it all in.

A few minutes later we hear and see some bikes coming the opposite way. It was the Oklahoma guys that we had seen a few days before, in Telluride.

They stopped and visited for awhile. They did not go all the way to the "closed" section. They had the same fuel issues as us so they turned abound about the midway point.
We assured them the ranger told us it was open all the way through but they decided continue on out because they were having some mechanical issues they needed to address back in town.
We said our goodbye's and headed in opposite directions.

Supah, having a big time

We made it to Murphy Hogback (i think that's what it's called) and I stopped to take pictures. Evil and BW went around me and started up the climb.

All of a sudden I hear a bike revving at high RPM's. I turn and get this picture.

Evil hit a burm / rut / rock all at nearly the same time. He was probably going a little too fast also. The bike started sliding on him, then came over backwards, on top of him. BW was quick to the scene as I waited because I didn't know if there was room up there for three bikes. Evil still hasn't stood up. I can see BW trying to lift the bike but he keeps dropping it. I fire my bike up and take off up the hill. When I get there, Evil is moaning, and barely moving. I help BW pick up the bike, then I start assessing the injuries. His knee is really hurting. He finally gets up and is able to ride to the top of the hill. We all follow then take a break to assess the damages to the bike.

She's not pretty but it never was before so we relax for a while then it's off again.

Here is where it gets interesting. We arrive to a locked gate. We don't have enough fuel to go out the way we came (because the ranger told us we could go through), we were only a few hours away from sunset, and we had an injured rider. We were in a tight spot.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #105
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,223
WRT:

I remember looking at DQ and going, "hey, there is a little tiny road down there." And he replied, "Yep, and you will be on it in a bit."

Weave

Musselman Bridge

GQ, I mean DQ posing enjoying the view...

The rest of the Motley Crew

Don't Jump, Paddle!!!

DQ headed off again

Supah on the rocks

Where we waited for the camera searchers...

This little stretch was really fast...

It was hard for me to comprehend the sheer magnitude of the canyons...

I think this may be the top of the hill where EBW "unassed" it...

This is where we sat and discussed how long to wait on the camera searchers
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote