ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #46
texasplumr
Adventurer
 
texasplumr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Austin Tx.
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Why's that? I just bought an 03, haven't picked it up yet. Still have my 97 too, but one will probably be sold next spring.
Probably because I'm old and like the mechanics of the carbs. The injection is so smooth and the acceleration is so linear that you really don't "feel" the power kick in, it's just there. With the carbs there is a little flat spot and man you really "feel" the power when you come out of it.

Plus, it seemed easier to manipulate in low speed situations with carbs. The throttle response is immediate with the injection and has taken me a while to get used to.

I always got over 40 mpg with the carbs and the best I've gotten with the injected bike is 37 mpg. That could be my right wrist or the luiggage. Could also be that a tune up is in order. I'm going to remove the luggage and see what happens and take it from there.

They say that the carbed models are faster. I don't know about that, I think you just feel the power differently. As far as top end goes, I'm not going to explore that anyway. Either bike is much faster than I am.
__________________
Russ Lane
Austin,tx.
texasplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #47
Hank.SD
Cut and Paste Engr
 
Hank.SD's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sodak
Oddometer: 1,249
Once I have my 03 I'll round up a riding buddy and find out which one is faster.. up to a point. I've never topped my 97 out, nor will I the 03. I run out courage, or maybe common sense takes over past about 140.

My carbed 97 has Factory Pro jet kit and ignition advance and Micron 4 into 1. The 03 I just bought has a power commander and Micron 4 into 1. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

I have a buddy who had an 02, and he got consistent 42 mpg with his. My 97 ranges between 35 and 45, depending on luggage and right wrist. I've gotten under 20 on one occasion, my right wrist was entirely responsible for that.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #48
texasplumr
Adventurer
 
texasplumr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Austin Tx.
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Once I have my 03 I'll round up a riding buddy and find out which one is faster.. up to a point. I've never topped my 97 out, nor will I the 03. I run out courage, or maybe common sense takes over past about 140.

My carbed 97 has Factory Pro jet kit and ignition advance and Micron 4 into 1. The 03 I just bought has a power commander and Micron 4 into 1. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

I have a buddy who had an 02, and he got consistent 42 mpg with his. My 97 ranges between 35 and 45, depending on luggage and right wrist. I've gotten under 20 on one occasion, my right wrist was entirely responsible for that.
My 97 I had a set of Yoshi 4 into 1 pipes which I liked a LOT. I loved the sound. I should have never sold that bike. It was set up for touring too except for the Givi luggage like I have on the 2000. Even with overstuffed soft luggage I got over 40 mpg.

I just have a set of Dekelvic cans on this one. They sound pretty good. But I'm sure this luggage is killing my gas mileage. Not a really big deal just riding around but a PITA on a trip and you don't feel comfortable going 200 miles without a gas stop.

I may look at installing a power commander in the future. If my gas mileage doesn't improve when I remove the luggage, and I decide to do a major service, I'll probably do it then. Not sure if that will help it or hurt it. I've heard both.

I'll be curious to hear your opinions of both when you get your 03.
__________________
Russ Lane
Austin,tx.

texasplumr screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 06:51 AM
texasplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #49
Crow
Corvid
 
Crow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 1,288
Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasplumr View Post
My 97 I had a set of Yoshi 4 into 1 pipes which I liked a LOT. I loved the sound. I should have never sold that bike. It was set up for touring too except for the Givi luggage like I have on the 2000. Even with overstuffed soft luggage I got over 40 mpg.

I just have a set of Dekelvic cans on this one. They sound pretty good. But I'm sure this luggage is killing my gas mileage. Not a really big deal just riding around but a PITA on a trip and you don't feel comfortable going 200 miles without a gas stop.

I may look at installing a power commander in the future. If my gas mileage doesn't improve when I remove the luggage, and I decide to do a major service, I'll probably do it then. Not sure if that will help it or hurt it. I've heard both.

I'll be curious to hear your opinions of both when you get your 03.
I have a 2003. With Givi side cases and top case, I consistently average 43 MPG. Outliers include a low of 36 (blasting through the canyons and mountains, top case only) and a high of 46 (long, easy cruising on the interstate, tank bag and large soft tail bag).
__________________
"Don't believe everything you think!"
2003 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #50
Modus
Adventurer
 
Modus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Cowtown
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasplumr View Post
I always got over 40 mpg with the carbs and the best I've gotten with the injected bike is 37 mpg.
Interesting. My '01 gets 42 mpg whether I'm putt putting around town or cruising at triple digits all day.

IMO the Blackbird is the most underrated bike out there.

More eye candy:
Attached Images
 
Modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #51
texasplumr
Adventurer
 
texasplumr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Austin Tx.
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus View Post
Interesting. My '01 gets 42 mpg whether I'm putt putting around town or cruising at triple digits all day.

IMO the Blackbird is the most underrated bike out there.

More eye candy:
I have the POs bike log and don't see where the plugs have ever been changed. 56K on the clock so that might be a reason for the poor mileage. I'm gonna change them and see what happens. Luckily he already installed block off plates!

Nice bike, red is my favorite XX color.
__________________
Russ Lane
Austin,tx.
texasplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #52
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lank's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern MN and Southern AZ
Oddometer: 172
So whats the stock sprocket sizes on the 03?? I hear of people using all kinda ratios? I like to be down one on the front and keep stock rear on most bikes that I don't use much on the highway. It seems I can control a little better from dead start.
__________________
Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, GSF1200S Bandit, CBR1100xx Super Blackbird, Yamaha RD400, Yamaha YM1 305

Lank screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 05:40 AM Reason: add photo
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #53
Dieselham
Adventurer
 
Dieselham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Issaquah, WA
Oddometer: 14
My 2003 on YouTube

Love my BBird! Takes traveling at speed and in comfort to a whole new level.

Here is my ride in a short YouTube video another Inmate put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZkLh...&feature=feedf

2003, K&N, Yosi slip-ons, Commander, Ohlins rear, Race Tech frontend, Seat by Rich, Heli's, Throttlemeisters, peg lowering brackets, heated grips, factory bags coated with black bed liner, MRA Vario Touring screen, Stebel Air Horn, RKA powered tank bag w Zumo, XM, StarCom Digital intercom, Radar, Ipod, FRS/GMRS, Proximity alarm, MotoFizz seatbag for the camping trips.

Many thanks to Areostitch, Bike Effects, TwistedThrottle, SuperStore....
Dieselham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #54
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lank's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern MN and Southern AZ
Oddometer: 172
My book says 17 and 45. Any experience with a 16 front?? I would like my Blackbird to run as well as my Bandit
__________________
Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, GSF1200S Bandit, CBR1100xx Super Blackbird, Yamaha RD400, Yamaha YM1 305

Lank screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 03:40 PM Reason: change
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #55
rubcicube
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Hemet, Ca
Oddometer: 20
16 makes the bike feel like it needs another gear. I've run a 16, 17 and 18. For me the 18 is the best choice. You actually feel the torque the bike makes.
rubcicube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #56
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lank's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern MN and Southern AZ
Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubcicube View Post
16 makes the bike feel like it needs another gear. I've run a 16, 17 and 18. For me the 18 is the best choice. You actually feel the torque the bike makes.
Thanks RC

I hear you there. My bike will be used sparingly, its an 03 with 5500 miles and I am going to keep it low. Its extended 4 inches and I will on occasion run it so I was thinking lower for a more positive launch. My real drag bike is the Bandit but everything I own goes through the lights occasionally. Even the Norge and I would even do it 2 up if they would let me. My riding will only be short day trips and around town with about 25 percent being 2 up
Attached Images
 
__________________
Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, GSF1200S Bandit, CBR1100xx Super Blackbird, Yamaha RD400, Yamaha YM1 305

Lank screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 12:35 PM Reason: add photo
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #57
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer
 
2tallnwide's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 2,216
My buddy had one years ago and scared the heck out of himself with it. It was collecting dust in his shop, so he called me and asked if I would blow the cob webs out of it. I gladly obliged, spent the day riding it, parked it back in his shop, handed him the key, and asked him to never let me ride it again.

Beautiful bike, I just have no business riding one of them. Too easy to cruise at triple digits, and my propensity for wheelies were all too easily accommodated at triple digits too....I thought maybe I'd grow out of my holligan desires one day, but at 51 years of age now, it still ain't happened yet....
__________________
If you're gonna dish it out make sure it tastes good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #58
texasplumr
Adventurer
 
texasplumr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Austin Tx.
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
My buddy had one years ago and scared the heck out of himself with it. It was collecting dust in his shop, so he called me and asked if I would blow the cob webs out of it. I gladly obliged, spent the day riding it, parked it back in his shop, handed him the key, and asked him to never let me ride it again.

Beautiful bike, I just have no business riding one of them. Too easy to cruise at triple digits, and my propensity for wheelies were all too easily accommodated at triple digits too....I thought maybe I'd grow out of my holligan desires one day, but at 51 years of age now, it still ain't happened yet....
I'll be 58 November 1, you never get too old. I've owned 3 now and I keep telling myself I need a more "appropriate" motorcycle for a gentleman of my age. Shit, no matter what I get, I always come back. I can't even come close to what the bike is capable of but it's nice just knowing that it's there.
__________________
Russ Lane
Austin,tx.
texasplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #59
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer
 
2tallnwide's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasplumr View Post
I'll be 58 November 1, you never get too old. I've owned 3 now and I keep telling myself I need a more "appropriate" motorcycle for a gentleman of my age. Shit, no matter what I get, I always come back. I can't even come close to what the bike is capable of but it's nice just knowing that it's there.
Wow, talk about mixed emotions...thanks...

My R1200GS was by far my favorite bike of the 30 or so I've owned over the years, but I spent too much time with the front wheel off the ground (see youtube link in sig line ) . I ride a big slow "lounge chair" now...

I'd still love to have this one to play on though.....

__________________
If you're gonna dish it out make sure it tastes good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #60
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lank's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern MN and Southern AZ
Oddometer: 172
That white BB is worth lusting over!!
__________________
Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, GSF1200S Bandit, CBR1100xx Super Blackbird, Yamaha RD400, Yamaha YM1 305
Lank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014