Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #76
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by me06 View Post
Some of the best bikes rolled out of the Honda factory during the 1990s which included the original Tadao Baba designed CBR900RR, the ST1100, the 3rd-5th gen VFRs, the RC45, the XR400R & of course, the CBR1100XX!!
Amen
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #77
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
That color... just beautiful on that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittC View Post
I sold mine 9 months ago. Loved just about everything about it, but wanted the ability to get off pavement...

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #78
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
My level of Blackbird appreciation is quite high I guess. I just put this clean 03 next to my 97.

It's not perfect, with a far amount of scuffs and scratches, but all are minor, and there's not a dent or crack to be found. I'll probably have a pro give it a buff job before spring, and then it should look pretty much like new.

The only real issues are a bald rear tire and a rear fender that was bobbed by someone who shouldn't touch tools. Looks like a dog gnawed it off.

It has a nice Micron CF 4 into 1 and a power commander.

Thanks to the freakishly warm January we're having I actually got to ride it about 20 miles. I need to get a buddy out for a side by side comparo with my massaged 97, but the seat of the pants say the 97 will spank it.

Was crazy going back to the stock seating position after riding my upright sport touring bent 97. Check out the difference:

Stock suspension was a rude awakening too after riding my USD fork and Penske shock equipped 97.

You can see on the table in the picture a 2011 Hayabusa front end (with 1k miles on it) that will end up on the new 03, unless I decide to just stick with the 97 in which case the 97 will get an upgrade.

Fun stuff!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #79
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

No, no issues with my mirrors. I had to put minor relief in the windshield to clear though.
I used to have an LSL setup, and it cleared as well. What I have now is homemade, done when I converted it to USD forks, and it has maybe another 1" rise and 1.5" pullback over the LSL.

Here's a link to the thread that shows some details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672031
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #80
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post

Here's a link to the thread that shows some details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672031
This thread rocks. I've done 2 front end conversions (on other bikes) before, so I always like seeing people do the same.

Redundant question:

So what did you do with the rear brake system?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #81
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

I got a 2nd rear brake line and ran them both from the caliper to the rear MC. It's not the best as you really have to stand on it. You can lock the rear, but it takes a hell of a stomp and there's not much feel. I've read elsewhere that a cbr600 MC is the way to go.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #82
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 878
Wish I'd kept my 1997!

When it arrived in shops, I'd been waiting a year. I had an ST1000, actually was on my second one, but wanted an engine. The linked brakes caused the rear wheel to hop under heavy braking on rough roads, which swas a bit scary. I only got 3K out of a set of tires. Heli bars went on a week after it arrived, followed by a Corbin seat. 500 mile days were then possible. At 22K I sold it, as it would have needed a rear shock, some tailoring of the front fork to match whatever new rear I put on, chain and sprockets, a costly valve adjustment, and I decided to go back to a pure sport bike vs. put money into it.

What really set the Bird apart was its ability to simply eat high speed stuff up like nothing else for a year or so, till the Busa came along. It made short work of the previous kings of the road like the GSXR 1100's of its time. They just did not have the legs. Then one day I was passed, while the speedo read 178- its maximum speed. Bummer to have the fastest bike in the gang for less than only a year! I run a ZZR 1200 now for high speed smiles, and even though it pulled away from a bird at full throttle, and over 140mph the other day, I still remember the bird feeling smoother and being just as fast. Great memories of taking no prisoners!

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #83
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
My 1998 had a reworked front (hyper-pro) and a rebuilt rear shock with Ohlins spring. The rear-shock isn't expensive to refurbish if you have a good local tech.

A 6mm spacer at the back also make a great difference to handling; I could almost drag the fairing, and I'm no riding god.

And people quibble about this, but I was always under the impression that the carb model was slightly faster
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #84
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

My 97 has a Micron pipe, Factory Pro Jets and a FP ignition advance.
My 03 has a Micron pipe and a Dynojet power commander.

According to my seat of the pants testing, my 97 will smoke my 03. Hope to get out with a buddy to confirm soon!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #85
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
Great memories of taking no prisoners!
Ahhh, I so regret selling my '02... The days of being on a first name basis with NHP officers - especially those stationed along Rt. 50 area barracks where I was written up by the same officer three times outside of Austin, NV and each time given just a five over pass "'cause he loved my 'Bird." 150mph+ sustained on Rt. 6 from Ely to Tonopah - ghosting in on fumes. A 17 hour day from International Falls, MN to Sudbury, Ontario playing Russian Roulette with moose (and a clean strategy to hide my V1 at a moments notice). Stranded in Burns, OR for two days and had to live on Bud Light 'cause a freak snowstorm ended my run to Bend from SLC where a friend was waiting with pints of Silver Moon IPAs. What an iconic bike! Simply the most fantastic touring machine imaginable, IMO. Respect. We move on - maybe slow down, I suppose. But I miss it for sure.

Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #86
Lank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
[QUOTE=Hank.SD;17716409]My 97 has a Micron pipe, Factory Pro Jets and a FP ignition advance.

According to my seat of the pants testing, my 97 will smoke my 03. Hope to get out with a buddy to confirm soon!

Can't remember what town you are in but Moorhead can't be that far. I have run at Brainard and plan to run at the Moorhead strip once a month or so. 2 Blackbirds there would be cool as hell.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #87
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

[QUOTE=Lank;17726853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
My 97 has a Micron pipe, Factory Pro Jets and a FP ignition advance.

Can't remember what town you are in but Moorhead can't be that far. I have run at Brainard and plan to run at the Moorhead strip once a month or so. 2 Blackbirds there would be cool as hell.
I'm game for that. I've never run a drag under legal conditions! I'm about 2 hours S of Moorhead.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #88
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Carbureted versus Injected

Bike Magazine UK, September 2009, "Secondhand Top 10 Sports Tourers", Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird (1996+):

"...From 1999 on the bike got fuel injection rather than carbs and other minor changes including the HISS immobiliser. More minor tweaks in 2001 saw a higher screen, revised instruments and exhaust mods that Honda claimed boosted power and economy by 12 bhp and 12% respectively."

Plus, the "flat spot" in the middle of the rev range was filled in by injection.

I'd love to see drag results for two stock bikes, one carb'd and one injected, same tires, rider and general time of day.

Note - HISS immobiliser not available in the US.

Crow screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 04:45 PM
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #89
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
I'm guessing the carb'd model FEELS faster because it takes off like a scalded cat after the "flat spot" while the EFI bike just smoothly accelerates through it like a bullet train.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #90
cplus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I'm guessing the carb'd model FEELS faster because it takes off like a scalded cat after the "flat spot" while the EFI bike just smoothly accelerates through it like a bullet train.
That's what I suspect as well. The FI bikes are sneaky fast because there's no big hit at 7k. Either way, I don't think most people would say the 'Bird is pokey.