Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #31
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
That last picture looks like a "super red ram" Hemi that came in my old 55 Dodge.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
56 354 with 40k
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #33
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
maybe somebody should post a motorcycle in one of the photos before we get kicked out for talking about trucks so much
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

ive got an old trashed honda scooter ill toss on one of the axles for a "size comparison" lol that should work
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #35
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,953
I think these axles would be useful for building a trike. Not too many Dualie Trikes around.
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Been a while since I checked in. I have been busy recovering and tinkering on my truck. I got the brakes all redone except for the master cylinder which I am fitting a Corvette 2 pot and a 7" mini booster too add me a little stopping power in comfort.The drums were in good shape so I just turned them for a fresh surface, shoes were almost new so I just re-arched them myself with a square table and a belt sander, and I rebuilt the wheel cylinders with all new bleeders and all rubber parts and thourough honeing.

I got some decent roller tires and new tubes mounted up on the 2 piece rims. I painted the rims and mix of rustoleum oil-based enamel, where I mixed 2 parts of safety red with 1 part safety yellow. For a nice darker orangey red color and I painted the rings a creamy almond color. I think they look pretty cool.

I am ordering some new wheels this week because I want to use tubeless drop center wheels. Unfortunately there is only one place in the country who makes the "Big 6" 6x7.25" bolt pattern wheel. They are not my favorite style, but they will work. This way I am also able to drop the front wheels down to 15" and use some Big and Littles with some Vintage replica Pie Crust fronts and Replica Firestone cheater slicks on the rear.

I went thru and remade my own E-brake cables, and have disassembled some of the latches and hinges and cleaned them up and made a few things work smoother.

I already recieved my complete wiring harness which I will start installing this week. I finished my registration stuff and am waiting for my title, which BTW, I found out the truck is actually a 1949 not a '52 so I have changed that in the titling.

A GREAT contact and new GREAT friend I made on another Studebaker Drivers Club forum wanted to help me, so he GAVE me a 1963 Stude 289ci Full Flow motor than ran great when he pulled it a year ago from a parts car. Yes I said GAVE it to me. My little 232ci in the truck is an unknown commodity and may need alot of repairs, so to start off with a known, good running, commodity is a big step forward.

To make this truck run really well I decided to just freshen up the motor. I stripped it down and it was in great internal shape so I am just giving it a nice Hone job and fresh ring. The heads look great so I am just cleaning them and going to lap the valves and put in new valve seals.I have mic'd the main and rod bearings and plastigauged them and they measure like new, so why mess with them? Then it will get all new gaskets and crank seals and a fresh coat of paint and then new brass freeze plugs. It should be a GREAT little 289 runner for daily driving. Just to clarify it is NOT a Ford 289, it is a Stude. The rings and gaskets should be here in a week or 2 so reassembly will start ASAP.

The rear differential does not have a cover, it is an OLD Timken style rear end and is split in the center and bolted together kinda like a quick change on a Sprint car. But when I drained the fluid it came out really in good shape with NO rust or grit and was still in useable shape even after sitting for 35 years. Same goes for the trans and OD unit, clean and smooth. So both checked out and rotate perfectly. The clutch will get deeper inspection when I pull the motor later this week, but it actuates smoothly and grabs firmly and seems to be in great useable shape. ALL GOOD so far.

The seat is going in for upholstery in a couple of weeks, so since the interior is VERY simple that will make it driveable.
Forward progress is not crazy fast, but there is progress none the less.

I had it out in the front yard the other day and since it is green with some rusty area on top surfaces a 4 year old girl neighbor said "hey your truck looks like Oscar the Grouch on seasame street" and the name has stuck. His name is officially Oscar.
Since he has given me alot of trouble on many things like parts availability and just frozen parts that break off, the Grouch part seemed quite apparapot. {spell check}. I am not normally a big "name my vehicles" kind of guy, but in this case it has taken on the persona perfectly so Oscar it is.

Here is a link to the latest pics, nothing special, but fun and getting there.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb343/kmac530/

Here are the rims I am ordering, I will custom pwdercoat them in a similar color to what I have now, it is the black wheels in the pic.

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/drwcustom.html

And the front tires, blackwall though I think...not positive yet.

http://store.cokertire.com/590-15-bf...blackwall.html

And the rear tires

http://store.cokertire.com/tire-styl...oved-rear.html

Or these, not sure yet

http://store.cokertire.com/tire-styl....html?___SID=U

What do you guys think?
I am building the truck with an era and theme concept in mind. The era is 1963-64, the theme is a 16 year old kid gets his license and his Grampa gives him an old ratty looking Flatbed/Stakebed 3/4 ton Studebaker truck and on his gas station attendant income he is trying to hot rod the ugly old truck....I am building to "half way there" look. I am leaving the paint the way it is...I will scuff off the surface rust a bit, polish the paint that is there and clear coat over it all to freeze the "patina" where it is.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #37
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
I'm suprised that 15" rims will fit on the front, but admit I've never really measured the drums on my '47. Glad to hear that you are gettin r done. feeling a bit of shame for putting mine off, but the house must come first. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #38
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Yes, the rear drums are 14" drums and barely fit inside the 16" rims, but the fronts are only 12" drums and have plenty of room for smaller rims. I could probably clear 14" rims....not that would.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #39
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

the repaint of the wheels looks GREAT and honestly id stick with them...but i understand the desire to change them...ill be curious to see what you swap out to.....since im in the same boat on wheels...and lot of shops just cringe when you tell em its that old and its a split rim

overall i think your going in the right direction tho im not sold on the cheeter slicks out back....but they are really cool lookin and ive always liked them....
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #40
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Nice truck!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #41
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Thanks Sh0rty and vtwin.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

i wonder if the place your going to get wheels from does the same goofy 5 bolt pattern of my ford....im betting they dont ...but i found a lead on a guy who cuts the centers out of old wheels like ours and puts them in modern hoops....if i cant find someone who will mount/dissmount wheels for me it may be my only option lol
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #43
Kloque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
A worthy project! My father and grandfather were always big on Studebakers, and a 62 Champ pickup was what I learned to drive on. I bet no one else here anywhere near my age, 39, can say that. PLEASE do post pictures of your progress.

I learned to drive in a 65' F250, 2 wheel drive, longbed, 352 Big Block, Dana 440 Rear end, with 4.11:1 Gears, And 4 on the floor. That truck was badass, It had the perfect rake to it, and it was fast as hell, it only did about 70 but it got there FAST.
I could smoke the tires all the way through 2nd and 3rd gear, and a bit in forth, hehe,
Good thing my grandpa don't read these things, lol.
Kloque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #44
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

you think 411s are quick..try 5:33s they aint no good above 90 but you will be there like lightning...add to that a limited slip thats more grip than slip and its like runnin with a spool...fun fun fun
Old 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #45
Kloque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
you think 411s are quick..try 5:33s they aint no good above 90 but you will be there like lightning...add to that a limited slip thats more grip than slip and its like runnin with a spool...fun fun fun
Wow, That'd be badass, but what kind of motor did you have to get to 90? lol Mine was red-lined at 80, like scary chaos redlined, lol. You'd think it would explode and send 10,000 peices of metel flying. Never did though, I even had that poor truck airborn a few times. And I blew away a BMW Spider, that was the funnest, dude was totally suprised.
Kloque is offline   Reply With Quote