User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 700
Trip to Weebull's

went for a little ride last weekend. we were aiming for the Austin Dam but only made it as far as Driftwood.

gassin up in the AM

all the normal bikes are above... Skinny decided he wanted his 350 to be his dual sport so that all got changed over the night before and until we stopped for gas it escaped his memory that his 350 is an SX and has no kickstand

Our first stop was a very steep pipe line for a little who can make it up the grass covered in dew steep ass pipeline the farthest contest.

more in a sec...

dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Then it was on to a very cool camp, all my years of driving these back roads, jeep trails, and railroad grades I never knew this thing existed. One more cool thing about a bike, the people that own it come in on horse back it looks like Very cool and it took a lot of work to build im sure. (soap box) I like seeing and appertaining old structures like this camp and I can’t stand it when people deface such cool stuff. If your one of those people go fuck yourself.

we were just about to be on our way when bob decided to make a deposit, then when he was done i decided i needed to as well. we used our own paper but were glad to not have to hug a tree and we replaced the bar that held the door closed and left it all as we found it.

after the off load it was time for some more intake. off to Driftwood and the famous weebull's steak house and pub. the food was good but took quite a while due to the fact that it was Sunday and the Steelers were on and the place was packed (packed for this place was about 20 people).

after we ate it was decided that we did not have enough day light to get to Austin and back so with heavy heart the majority of our group slabed it back home since our buddy Bob has a 4hr drive back to the concert jungle of Philly. anyone reading this thats from that area and wants someone to ride with down there mesg me this kid drives up here every other weekend to ride and needs a fix the rest of the time.

this is Bob...

view from the parking lot of our lunch stop.

the two crazies that started the ride out with the hill climb contest decided they wanted to give this alternate route a try on the way home. i have not heard from them since so im guessing they made it, or didn't.

total miles 123. 45 on the slab the rest on dirt roads or worse (worse meaning better).
Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

The Dam ride

Headed out "bright and early" Saturday morning headed up to Austin to see the dam and find some more back roads. it was not bright nor early when we got on the road. it was 47deg cloudy and about 10am. it would remain that way all day, not so much 10am but 47deg and cloudy.

but it didn't take long for the back roads of PA to make up for the crapy weather with some fantastic scenery.

that little creek was not rushing as much last time we were up here (here being somewhere along Dents Branch Rd.)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

after a short blast down the Quehanna Highway we vired off onto the Grant Trail. its not really a trail so to speak but a unmaintained road, but it don't show up on google so maybe it is a trail. anyway at the end of it you get to croos this... which also was not a deep the last time we were up here.

it looks like i ate shit but i made it!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

after the stream crossing its a little bit of slab through driftwood and up 120 to Ridge Road. the road lives up to its name as you climb quite a bit to the top of the mountain ridges and ride northish all the way to Austin.

great vistas along the way and very smooth even after all the rain and hunting traffic, any bike could do this road and its worth the trip. just be carful on the blind curves especially in hunting season.

after stopping at one of the vistas i got my first taste of two wheeled orange power, sorry no pics but i rode my buddies dual sported 350sx while he rode my other buddies dual sported 500xc-w while he rode the "Cadillac" XT225.

*** as far as im concerned unless there is a hare scramble or enduro shoehorned into your weekend rides im not sure why anyone would want to ride one of those 2x4's with wheels?! maybe with a different seat and 6in lower i might like it but for what we have been doing up to this point the XT is kicking these things ass in every department except hooligan wheelies.***

Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

we made it into the big town of Austin (which in case you don't know was just about wiped off the map 100 years ago this year... Story) we gassed up, at a pump that turned on without pre paying ( i love small towns!) and asked the old guy at the gas station where the best food was.

which led us here... which did have very good food that we ordered very to much of.

after lunch we made it to the dam. when you think about it its really hard to imagine water that high rushing through that little valley into town and just whipping everything out. its also hard to believe when you look at what’s left how it lasted and held water as long as it did. its worth the trip its a very interesting site to see, drop a dollar in the collection box there trying hard to keep it nice.

after wondering around the ruins for a little while we made our plan for home, wrote down R's and L's and road names on Skinny’s flexx bar pad and headed out. made it to the third dirt road from the dam and his headlight is out. so instead of being on a unknown dirt road in fading light in the cold, we slab it home 60 some miles. till next time.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Man I have not posted here in a while. Did not ride as much as I should have this winter since this winter was so mild but oh well. Here is a little trip we took down an old set of tracks and crossed a creek to find some food.

i love cool old stuff!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Noob

Glad you got that dirt nap out of the way. Future pictures are mandatory or you must suffer the sever penalty! You got that part down about "it's much steeper that it looks in the picture" so extra points there.
tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Rally race weekend in Wellsboro

AH summer time! That means its rally time! One of the things we always talked about was riding to the rally race in Wellsboro. For one there are so many great roads to get up there. But the main reason is so you can park at the front of the line at the forest stages and not have to walk miles to spectator points!

So like little kids the night before Christmas we decided we couldn’t sleep so we headed out Thursday evening around 8pm. We figured that we would slab it to Hyner state park, wake up see the views and then dirt road it to Wellsboro. Long story short...we saw the views and that’s about it.

real adventuer bikes have kick stands...

supercross bikes with plates do not... to top it off the dam thing has a rekluse in it so you can't just lean it anywhere.

So after taking in the sites at the Hyner overlook we headed down a dirt road that went in the general direction of where we were headed and we were off… breaking the first two rules of riding. Did not get fuel or food before we started our day. So when that road came to a hard road we pointed north and figured we would stop at the next town get gas and some breakfast and hit the dirt again. Well the next burgh we came to only had 87 so that leaves the KTM’s out of the fuel stop and they had nothing open for food. So we carried on almost the whole way to Wellsboro before we found high-test and food. By then it was raining so we just slabed it across 6 to the campground.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

once we got to Leonard Harrison state park and set up camp, our other 2 companions showed up in there truck from Philly. so we got everything unpacked and set up and then it was time to ride. Daryl from here on ADV rider (changed his screen name and i can't remember it now) offered up his local knowledge of the area and served as our tour guide for the entire weekend.
we took off to see the roads that connect the forest stages so that we would be better prepared to rip between spectator points the next day. that

worked real well till it started raining sideways. so it was off to one of the sweet old hotel/bar/restaurant combos so prevalent north of I-80 in the old timber towns.

wish i would have got more pics of this place it was really cool. the bar was brought in via wagon train over a 100 years ago.

after we ate we slabed it back to the campground in the rain and spent the rest of the night under a tarp in the back of a short box Tacoma, needless to say everyone called it a night early.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #26
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

i don't have any pics of the rally race as i just took video and have no idea how to post those. but our plan of riding between the stages kind of did not work out as we planned. we got out of the first stage very easy thanks to being on bikes but by the time we got to the second spectator stage the last car we watched at the first stage was just coming through the second. this routine would be repeated several more times. When we got as far away from Wellsboro as the race went we decided to just wait till the fast cars came back through again for the second loop rather than try and chase them down again. This led to plenty of time for... ADV napping!

after our power naps we were rewarded with the fast cars coming right at us with a front row view. we watched till our old friend the rx7 came through (the same car we kept catching at every stage) then we headed back towards Wellsboro for the super special stage at the fairgrounds. but first we checked in with ollie williams and the blackuweather forecast to make sure that it would not get rained out like it did Friday night and sure enough...

so we rode back towards the campsite in the sideways rain. when we got close it stopped raining and looked to be getting nice so we decided to press on and test our luck. we could get no wetter and if it stayed nice the wind would dry us out. got to pizza hut in town and piged out while the sky turned black again. so we decided to just grab some firewood and head back to camp.

one handle on the 500xc-w, 2 handles on the 690r and 3 on the mighty xt225 bitches! had a nice fire and BS'ed the night away.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

woke up to more rain on Sunday, thankfully it was falling straight down and coming at us sideways. It still makes for a shity time of packing up camp. but we suited up and got ready to ride, dirt the whole way home was the plan.

Stopped right outside the camp site to take in the PA grand canyon. not as cool as the real thing but beautiful none the less.

now we are doing it right. food and fuel right outside of town. yes it was as good as it looked.

nice new overlook thanks to Big Gas.

sweet old bridge.

X2

And the first test of the Wolfman saddle bags. They passed with flying colors! Just your stranded high side while coming to a stop at a Y intersection. No harm no foul and I never even hit the ground I walked it out.

We made it the rest of the way home without incident and without getting rained on anymore. I would say it was a great trip and im ready for the next one with only minor adjustments to my kit namely real waterproof pants. Over 500 miles for the weekend.
till next time...
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #28
parannoyed
hey look...chickens

Oddometer: 128
Great pics and good story-tellin man. I should have taken you upstairs of the Germania hotel, you can almost feel how old it is by the way it's designed.

Glad you guys got to see the fast cars....finally.lol
parannoyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

forgot about this thread more coming soon!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #30
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

first ride of 2013

100 miles 50 or so of which involved riding in snow with my bum clenched. this is the only photographic proof.