Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #151
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 240
OMG... Subscribed! Beautiful job sofar, can't wait for updates. You've already got me thinking about saving money for this. Mucho jealous!
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #152
wgabriel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Been reading your thread for last couple days and enjoying it immensely, sounds like you had a blast.

Thanks for RR, keep it coming

2007 R1200GSA
wgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #153
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
"I felt like a little kid in Africa. I would go to sleep each night without a care in the world. I would just lay my head down and fall asleep. Like a child, I would awake each morning eager to start the day and "play" with my friends in the sand on giant dirt bikes. What a great feeling! I really don't ever want to grow up. "
What a great statement (telling how you felt about this ride). If we all could just feel this way every once in a while we would live much longer. Now I want to go more than ever. Thanks for your time in letting us ride along with you.
Bob
Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #154
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Man Down!!

My buddy GSDOG provided me with this great photo of the rider who got pissed on Jager bombs and decided to pass out in Billy's hammock. They covered him with a blanket and put a pillow under his head. We should have shaved his head!!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #155
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirk View Post
Hi

I caught this from Charleys FB page. Great video. I did the one the year before with Ross on the way up. I have 6 hours of video still needing edited. Too busy with work and other stuff.
You have done a great job here.

Cheers
Steven
Thanks Steven. I hope this RR brings back some great memories!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #156
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesarider View Post
Yo Global (see the way I slip straight onto post modern Advrider greeting mode)

As one of the less than young members on this awesome trip I'm hoping that my intrusion here won't water your achievement down, I just wanted to add that being one of the steadier riders (for steady in my case read average 120 to 140kph on gravel) I was blown away with your skill and total enthusiasm, not so say how impressed I am with the story so far and the brilliant videos and photos you've posted here.
But come on mate, what about showing the faces of the more experienced riders, we who were riding motorcycles before your Ma was out of diapers, we who spent 2 weeks eating your dust, we who (and please excuse my Brit arrogance) showed you how to drink beer by the gallon, we who - well certainly in my case - didn't hit the sack each night by 10pm. Guess you young 'uns need your beauty sleep eh ?

Looking forward to the next episode.

Pete
Peter...I was just saving the best for last mate! I will include more photos of your old, bald British mug for all to appreciate! I will admit, you are the man...both on and off the bike!! You somehow managed to get through the entire 5000 Km without incident, and you were always the last to go to bed...especially when there was a guitar around for you to serenade us. I am looking forward to getting out to the UK so we can ride again my friend!!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #157
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149

Great writing style....
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #158
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesarider View Post
But come on mate, what about showing the faces of the more experienced riders, we who were riding motorcycles before your Ma was out of diapers, we who spent 2 weeks eating your dust, we who (and please excuse my Brit arrogance) showed you how to drink beer by the gallon, we who - well certainly in my case - didn't hit the sack each night by 10pm. Guess you young 'uns need your beauty sleep eh ?

Looking forward to the next episode.

Pete

Alright Peter. Here you go my man. I told you I would get you into this RR!!

Why is Mick sleeping?? WTF!!

You look like a native...no really!!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #159
ozmikl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Subscribed Mate
And it is your story tell it like YOU want to don't listen to the riff raff.
I wouldn't spring the dough for a guided tour as I am a tight arse and like traveling by my self but I like Charlie and am secretly jealous ha ha ha.
Michael

Ducati ST2 Dual Sport Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post14187216

Do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs sit up all night contemplating if there really is a Dog?
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #160
Seattle Jimmy
happy dipshit.

Oddometer: 37
Man Down...

Adam is going to be pissed when he sees the pic of himself asleep on the patio...What you failed to mention was how much fun a 450k ride was at 98 degrees with a ripping hangover...I drank 3 litres of water and still felt like shit..
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #161
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
In, Late, but in.. Got thru six pages.. I could really see doing this.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together..

WW
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #162
Breezyrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for stealing my dream ride from me ! Yeah i'm all in of course
Breezyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #163
JohnnieBoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Just amazing! Made me have to bust out my copy of "Long Way Round" and re-read it! Way to steal the wind out of every single other RR... Its true though!!!

Suscribed, of course.... second one and thouroughly enjoying every minute!

Edit: Yes its the booze, and I am partial... but ALL of the ride reports are awesome! Looking forward to posting one of my own soon.
2003 XR650R
San Diego. CA
JohnnieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #164
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Noordoewer to Fish River Canyon

Who was the genius that decided it would be fun for all the riders to drink Jagermeister the night before a 450 km ride on gravel in temps pushing 100 degrees!! And, who was responsible for singing terrible Irish Folk songs until the wee hours of the morning? I'll blame Billy...he just looks guilty!!

Or, maybe it was Adam, who had a little trouble finding his bed the night before...

Or it could have been that crazy Aussie, Darren...he was always ordering doubles!

Even Charley, the seasoned pro that he is, looked like he just shat his pants on that mornings ride!

Either way, we all had the time of our lives last night at the Norotshama River Resort Lodge. I was looking forward to today's ride...450 km of dusty gravel roads with our final destination being Canyon Lodge near Fish River Canyon. Our first stop that morning was the quirky little Canon Roadhouse. It is a gas station/restaurant/museum/lodge. It is filled with old vintage cars and trucks. It is a must see for anyone riding through.

A bit of a surprise awaits the pervert who decides to open "Pandora's Box" in the men's bathroom. I'll leave it at that. Of course, I had to see what it was all about.

Now that we were all topped off on fuel, adrenaline, redbull and coffee, we pushed on to Ai-Ais hot springs. The roads were spectacular.

Gorgeous, fast, twisty Namibian gravel roads just begged to be ridden. (I will post a video of this ride as soon as I can get around to editing it.)

Our next stop was at Fish River Canyon, It is the second largest canyon in the world and the largest in Africa. It features a gigantic ravine, in total about 100 miles (160 km) long, up to 27 km wide and in places almost 550 metres deep. It was quite amazing, despite the fact that I live in Arizona and have been to the Grand Canyon many times before.

That night, we stayed at Canyon Lodge. This was one of my favorite top three lodges on this trip. This place is hard to describe as it does not seem real. It looked like something right out of an Indiana Jones movie set. The cottages are built right into the boulders.

The pool has a negative edge pool which disappears onto the namibian desert. Very dramatic. It was very welcoming after a long, hot ride. I was perfectly content drinking only water this evening. Very mellow night.

I must say that I feel at home in Namibia. I have wandered all over this globe for work and for pleasure, and I have experienced all types of cities, climates, and people. For some reason, I feel perfectly at ease in the desert. I long for the solitude, the warm breezes, the dramatic rock formations, and the unobstructed views. The desert is where I call home here in Arizona. Namibia feels like home to me. I am at peace here, and that feeling is priceless. I long to return to Namibia with my family and explore this remote country even further.

I slept incredibly well this night. The next RR is a big 590 km + riding day, and the scenery is nothing short of spectacular once again. I feel as if I am riding in a dream. Each day seems to get better and better. I am humbled by Namibia's beauty. Enjoy the ride...

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 06:55 PM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #165
cyclebabble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Been eagerly looking forward to each update. Great report, awesome pics.
cyclebabble is offline   Reply With Quote