Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #196
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
I normally don't like the POV videos, but I'm enjoying your's very much! Great editing
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #197
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
I normally don't like the POV videos, but I'm enjoying your's very much! Great editing
Yeah, PoV vids may not be as good to look at but they're so so so so so so much easier to film
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #198
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Yeah, PoV vids may not be as good to look at but they're so so so so so so much easier to film
Agree. Got VIO POV 1.5 myself and it's my favourite video source and "visual black box". It runs easily 6 hours straight on 4 AA cells or unlimited with the moto kit 12v plugin.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #199
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
And watching them IS better than working
Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #200
merios
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Subscribe

Awesome video !!!!
merios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #201
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
And watching them IS better than working
In that case, I'll make more videos!!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #202
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalpilot4 View Post
In that case, I'll make more videos!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #203
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 809
Keep it coming.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #204
brian83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
so jealous. subscribed.
brian83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #205
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,164
+1 - what they have said.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #206
bttran
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I rather be there than watching!!! But I'll take all I can until then
bttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #207
Liebchen & Izzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
There are no bad roads... just bad bikes.
Liebchen & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #208
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 639
Got 'BIKE' Magazine today, the Dec 11 edition. Indeed Mr Inman's write up of your trip is in it. Hav'nt got a chance to read it yet as am only in the door. Off to the little library where the best reading is done. Should be a ten minute read by the size of my dinner......
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #209
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
looking forward to the next installment..

could you post a map or google earth shot of where you went on the route ? it would be great to follow along with you.

something like this

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #210
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Namib Naukluf Reserve to Swakopmund

My alarm clock went off at 5:30 am. I jumped out of bed, a little disoriented since I have been staying in a different lodge every night for the past week, and started getting all of my riding gear together. I was trying not to wake my roommate, Tim. The sun was not set to rise for about 45 minutes, and I was excited to hop on the GSA and ride the 45 km down to the famous red dunes at Sossusvlei. I wanted to be there in position with my camera to capture some gorgeous sunrise photos.

With no one awake at the lodge, I pushed my bike down the drive a bit before I started it up. Man I love the sound of that boxer engine first thing in the morning. I pulled out on the gravel road and took off on my solo excursion to the dunes.

What an incredible morning. Here I was, at 6 am riding down a dirt road in Namibia in the warm desert air. I felt so incredibly alive and euphoric. I realized that it was the solitude that I was craving. As much as I love riding in a group, I really am much more of a solo rider. I enjoy being off on my own, free to explore at my own pace. It is much more relaxing and enjoyable when you are not worrying about other people and their needs. I am kind of selfish really!

DCIM\100GOPRO

After a mesmerizing 20 minute drive, I arrived at the entrance to the dunes. A guard stopped me and asked how I was planning on getting into the dunes? I was perplexed. How do you think I am going to get there...on my motorcycle!! He told me that the park was closed to bikes. I hoped that he was mistaken and insisted that he let me in to at least talk with the ranger. He waved me in and I parked my bike and went inside. Sure enough, motorcycles are now banned by the Namibian government from entering the dunes at Sossusvlei. Apparently, some jack asses last year took their dirt bikes out on the sacred dunes and tore them up. I am sure that they were restored to their natural beauty after the first gust of wind!! The only way to get to the dunes is by car or truck. Anyway, I snapped a few photos of the sunrise, and headed back to the Mirage to tell the others.

The ride back alone was again so very enjoyable.

Upon relaying the news to the rest of the gang, we deiced to skip the dunes and push on the 390km to Namibia's premier beach resort, Swakopmund. We were all excited to have a day off in Swakopmund to recharge and rest. The roads today were again very challenging. Each day has presented a new challenge in the roads, with today's challenge being deep sand, dust, massive trucks, and construction!

Cool little gas station where Scotty was getting friendly with the natives!

Now I have ridden all through the South West, primarily on sandy gravel roads, yet I have never experienced anything like the roads we encountered today. Apparently, they were doing construction on the roads as they were littered with massive dump trucks and graders all going about 80 km/hr. The dust clouds they kicked up could be seen for miles, and they completely engulfed anyone trapped behind them. At first, we contemplated riding behind them, but we were getting the crap beat out of us on the sandy corrugated roads at 80 km/hr. We needed to go faster, much faster, to smooth out the suspension. Also, the dust was so thick that it was like riding in a dusty tornado.

The first time I decided to pass a truck, I was scared out of my mind. The ruts were horrific, the sand deep, and the visibility near zero. The bike was swimming around underneath me and I decided to just go for it. I pulled into the opposite lane and just floored it! I broke out of the dust and flew by the massive truck. What a frickin rush!! Me and about 5 other riders led the way, passing trucks and maintaining about 140 km/hr. It is amazing how your adrenaline level reaches a new benchmark after the first few passes. After passing about 30 trucks, it felt perfectly normal and routine to play chicken with oncoming traffic in blinding dust, in deep sand, with teeth chattering corrugations.

As we got closer to the Skeleton Coast, the temps dropped drastically from 37 degrees C to about 18 degrees C. We refueled in Walvis Bay, and then road north along the coast to Swakopmund. We rolled into Swakopmund in the early afternoon. The next group of riders was about 3 hours behind us. It was weird to be back in "civilization."

I was eager to get off my bike and take a shower. My riding suit, which used to be gray and black, was covered in a khaki colored layer of dust. My dust rag which covered my mouth looked like the inside a vacuum filter. Also, my rear tire was shot. The Mitas tires are awesome tires, but they were taking a major beating on these roads at our speeds. We also decided not to air them down to prevent damaging the rims. They had to be replaced. There is no way that they could handle another 2500 km of Namibian roads.

After a quick shower and lunch, Tim, Adam and I headed into town to swap out our rear tires. To our surprise, they had 4 or 5 rear tires that would fit the Beemers. We quickly grabbed the three they had and reserved the fourth for out Mate Scotty. Scotty said that he would come in tomorrow and replace his tire. With new rubber, we headed back to the lodge and passed out waiting for the rest of the riders to arrive.

Charley was riding sweeper today, so he was one of the last to arrive. When he saw our new rear tires, he was very excited and asked where we got them. We told him the place in town, and he said that he too was going to swap out his rear in the morning. (This turns out to be quite a story!!)

We had a great evening that night! The entire gang piled into two vans and we went downtown to eat at The Tug, a great restaurant on the water that is a converted tugboat. After dinner, we went to a local pub and had a few drinks. Apparently, my man Tim loves Tequila and kept buying round after round for everyone. The drinks were flowing, the music blasting, and the company incredible. We brought the party back to the lodge where Tim and I decided to host an after party in our room. We had no obligations the following day, so we were all able to let loose and have some fun. Just another great night with Charley!!

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 02:07 PM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote