Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #271
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 170
GP4, Excellent montage video. I really appreciate your latest update... thought you might have given up trying to post. It had been a while. What a great trip. I can only dream of one like it someday. My 11 month old son has my riding pretty limited these days, but I know it will be worth it one day when I can take him on a trip like yours someday.

Coincidentally, I watched (for I don't know how many times) the "Race to Dakar" with Charley last week just for grins. He really is a good shit!
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #272
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargAT View Post
Absolutely EPIC!

Even though you have a 800 at home, having been exposed to the GSA on the varying terrain in S.A; do you think the 800 would handled equally well, or is the GSA the way to go for larg(er) scale tasks/trips like yours?

I'm looking forward to the rest of the RR - though I'm jealous as chit; could you go back for another round please? This RR might end too soon!

M.
I have been trying to answer this question myself for quite some time now. Ideally, I would like to have one of each! The 1200 GSA is the perfect all around bike. It is extremely comfortable on long trips, has a great range as far as fuel, has great wind protection, plenty of power to spare, and is a beast off road. Coming off of an F800, I was afraid that is was going to be a pig in deep sand and a nighmare on technical trails. I coudn't have been more wrong. The bike handled the sand and terrain beautifully. Having said that, I know that my F800 would have been perfectly suited for the trip as well. Numerous people in our group chose to ride the F800 for the tour, and they were all content with their decision. The F800GS is not as comfortable after a long day in the saddle, but it really shines in the technical portions. It is lighter, narrower, and easier to pick up in case one does set it down in the sand.

I was convinced that I was going to sell my F800 when I got back, but I had a change of heart. I went on a dual sport ride with some buddies here in Arizona, and I couldn't believe how nimble and responsive it felt in the sand and rocks after riding the 1200. Riding the 1200 GSA for 5000km actually improved my riding on my F800GS. I felt so much more comfortable on my bike. After that ride, I decided to stick with my trusty F800GS. The rides I usually do tend to be more technical and challenging.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either bike. It comes down to riding ability, finances, and the type of riding you plan on doing. To make it simple:

A long tour on pavement/gravel roads with moderate technical sections= BMW 1200GSA hands down.

A medium length tour over varying technical terrains, sand, rocks with adequate fuel stops= BMW F800GS.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #273
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainJ View Post
GP4, Excellent montage video. I really appreciate your latest update... thought you might have given up trying to post. It had been a while. What a great trip. I can only dream of one like it someday. My 11 month old son has my riding pretty limited these days, but I know it will be worth it one day when I can take him on a trip like yours someday.

Coincidentally, I watched (for I don't know how many times) the "Race to Dakar" with Charley last week just for grins. He really is a good shit!
Mountain,
Thanks for following my ride report. I definitely didn't give up on it, although my motivation for finishing it was diminished. I didn't want the ride report to end!! I recently went for a ride with my roomie from Africa, GSDOG, and all of the memories came flooding back. It provided me with the motivation to make the final push and finish the ride report with a new enthusiasm. I can also relate with you as far as finding the time to ride. I have little kids at home as well, and they consume my every waking hour at home. I look forward to riding someday with this next generation of "munchkin" ADVriders!!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #274
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 720
having spent the last 3 days working through this all I can say is WOW, absolutely fantastic

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #275
Gripforce
Ski Bum

Oddometer: 49
Thanks!......

....for the truly awesome report!
Gripforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #276
adven_pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thumb Great RR

I'm in Africa now, I'd love to go on a ride like this. I'm going to try to rent a bike here, in Kenya, and do some rides but riding through S. Africa for 16 days with a bunch of the bros would be awesome. Good RR.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #277
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Charley's boots

Is Charley wearing danners in this photo? I wonder how they do as motorcycle boots.

http://globalpilot4.smugmug.com/Moto...BfGwG&lb=1&s=A
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #278
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Sweet report!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #279
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
Wow, Just Wow. Thank you for sharing such an amazing ride!
And god said unto moses come forth... but he came fifth and won a teapot
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #280
Frazao
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Opinion on Olympia's X moto gear

Hello Global Pilot,

Firstly, sorry about my english. I'm brazilian and it's been quite a while I don't practice.
This RR is absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing this great experience with us!

Well, I'm planning to buy Olympia's X-Moto jacket and pants but I'd like to know how good they are.
One of my biggest concerns is: are they really waterproof? Have you even ridden under heavy rain situation? How they perform overall?

In your post # 108 (Franschoek to Clanwilliam), you mentioned the rain you got. You wrote you wasn't with your rain gear with you. By rain gear you mean the jacket's waterproof liner?

Please give me your thoughts about it.

Thanks and contratulations.
Your report is great!!

Regards,
Frazao (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
Frazao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #281
aproape
407 error: no title

Oddometer: 7
Good morning riders!

2012 edition will be arriving here..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820227

Enjoy! ;-)

Cheers,
aproape
aproape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #282
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Stay tuned!

I have received numerous messages from you FF's about finishing this ride report. I appreciate all the positive feedback, and I am on a mission to deliver the final two days of our trip. I have been sorting through photos, journals, and videos in an attempt to give this RR its proper finish. Thanks for following along!!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #283
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Divava to Caprivi

Alright...let's get back to the RR. Our ride today took us along the Caprivi Strip, which is the wettest part of Namibia. It is a little slice of green wedged in the middle of a sea of beige desert and sand. All of the riders had realized that the most scenic riding was now behind us, and we were all looking forward to the last big attraction...Victoria Falls.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It was our second to last day, but surprisingly no one seamed worn out or ready for the ride to end. Nearly two weeks in, and we were all just as excited and energized as we were on the first day. Even my roommate Tim, who took a spill on a sharp corner and fractured his vertebrae, was in excellent spirits and wanted to keep the party going. Now that I think of it, he also had a concussion and was on massive pain killers... so his perception might have been slightly altered.

We packed up our gear that morning, and I took it all in one last time. This lodge was stunning...I thought to myself that I would someday like to return here with my wife...or girlfriend! Today's ride was an easy one, 260 km of which only 30 was gravel. I rode along side my good friend Adam the entire morning, until I had the complete shit scared out of me.

I wish I had it on video. I had just turned off my GoPro. Adam and I were cruising down a desolate gravel section, sided by side with barely 4 feet between our bikes. I was totally in the zone, just enjoying the ride along the river with my mate. Out of nowhere, a rider split the gap and rode right in between us at twice our speed. He barely had a foot to spare on each side. All I remember is seeing this zebra skin helmet scream by in a trail of dust. Adam and I each almost lost it trying to recover from the apparent ambush. Here we were, the second to last day on the easiest section of the trip, and I almost got taken out by fucking zebra!! Had I been a little closer to Adam, it would have been a catastrophy. We quickly caught up to the rider and our adrenaline was flowing. I wanted to rip his helmet off and scream at him. We all pulled over and it was our good friend Mark. We couldn't stay mad for long. He was just having the time of his life, and his smile was infectious. He agreed to go on his merry way, and we agreed not to cut his fuel line, set his bike on fire, and feed him to the lions. Pretty fair deal I thought.

The last couple of km's to the Mazambala Island Lodge were sandy as hell. I am talking about 6-9 inches of deep powdered sugar.

We all had a hell of a time getting through it, but it was well worth it. We parked the bikes at the edge of the water, posed for some photos on some old military vehicles, and were then treated to the most amazing entrance to the lodge.

We actually boarded a boat and took a 15 mile ride through what appeared to be the equivalent of the Everglades.

It was like a scene Fantasy Island. We arrived at the "boat dock" and were greeted by Andre, the owner. He was a well dressed 70 year old man who was extremely proud of his little oasis. After quite a shower and a few beers on the look out tower, we boarded the boats again for a river safari.

To tell you the truth, I almost didn't go. I had been on 3 previous safaris on this trip, and I thought I had seen it all. I quickly realized how ridiculous I was acting. Here I was in Africa, turning down the opportunity to go out on a river safari. I kicked myself in the ass, sucked it up, and jumped on the boat. It turned out to be my favorite safari of the trip.

Adam, Charley and I sat up front drinking, chatting, and taking pictures. We got so up close and personal with the animals it was frightening. At one point, our boat was charged by a male elephant.

He was trumpeting and flapping his ears, and then he made a false charge. We all shit our pants and our guide quickly fired up the engine on the little boat and we took off.

The sunset this night was glorious.

It was everything you would expect from an African sunset. It was the epitome of African perfection! I remember just sitting there watching the sunset and trying to live in the moment. It was like watching life in perfect HD on the biggest screen possible. I so badly wanted to absorb the tranquility of that moment and bottle it up for later. My mind was completely at ease. I still dream of Africa...
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #284
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 170
GP, thanks for the latest installment. Stunning sunset picture. I have a buddy heading over to that area in 2 weeks for his "dream hunt". Not my thing anymore... hunting, but he will be staying with me in Denver for a night layover on his way to S Africa. I will show him your report/pics. It must be fun reliving this while posting. I still go back and spend time reliving my 3 weeks in Nepal back in 2009. Each pic puts my right back there again. Each year that passes has me yearning to travel like that again even more.
Cheers!!
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #285
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainJ View Post
GP, thanks for the latest installment. Stunning sunset picture.
+1!!
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote