Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #106
BullShatter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Great Video

Globalpilot,

Great video of the ride out of Capetown south to Good Hope. When I was there I stopped in the same area and have the same/similar photo of Hout Bay.

From Africa Pics Mom
Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #107
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlikely Cowboy View Post
Globalpilot,

Great video of the ride out of Capetown south to Good Hope. When I was there I stopped in the same area and have the same/similar photo of Hout Bay.

From Africa Pics Mom
Thanks for the positive feedback Cowboy. Great shot of Hout Bay...but pictures and videos cannot capture the beauty of the coastline in South Africa.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #108
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Franschoek to Clanwilliam

I awoke eager to start our second day of riding in the Cape Winelands. I knew that if it was anything like the first day, I was in for some spectacular scenery, some fast gravel roads, and some great riding partners. What I didn't realize was that it would be filled with rain, deep sand tracks, and motorcycle crashes.

When I first got up, it was quite foggy and I could barely make out the mountain peaks.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I asked a local about the weather, and he said it was clear as a bell just on the other side of the pass. "This stuff will burn off man" he said with confidence. Based his local "knowledge" of the weather patterns, I decided to pack my rain gear and thermals and throw them on the support vehicle. What a mistake!

We left our little chateau in Franschoek and started our 325 km ride. We almost had a wreck right out of the gate as one of the riders pulled out of the hotel and started driving down the wrong side of the road. He went around a few blind corners before he realized that he was in the wrong lane. He got lucky!

At first, it was just a light drizzle, then a light sprinkle, then all hell broke loose on us. It started pouring down rain. The temp dropped like 15 degrees in a matter of minutes. My hands were the first to get soaked...so I turned on my hand warmers. Problem solved. Then, my pants and arms started to get wet. This was not something I could remedy without my rain gear. I was worried about getting soaked to the bone in these cold temps. Why the hell had I left my rain gear on the truck??!!

I frickin carried this stuff 10,000 miles from Phoenix and I left it in a damn support vehicle. Stupid! Fortunately, after about an hour of riding in the rain, it stopped. The sun broke through, and we were treated to a spectacular day of riding in the mountains with vibrant wildflowers.

Photo & Video Sharing by <br />
SmugMug

The riding was fantastic, very similar to rides I have done in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. The 1200 GSA was a dream to ride in all sorts of terrain. I was not missing my F800 GS at all. I decided to go with Charley and a few select others to do a technical, sandy segment which lasted about 75 km. I really was amazed at how well the GSA did in the deep sand. No problem... just keep your weight back, and the speed accelerating and it handles like a large dirt bike.

We arrived at our lodge in Clanwilliam exhausted, energized, and in need of beer.

The days ride had been challenging, but it was the last 2 km of pavement that bit one of our riders in the ass...literally.

Gary, a motojournalist and accomplished rider let his concentration slip for just a second. He was looking back at Charley Boorman and lost control of his bike. He ended up crashing on the asphalt and fell into a garden in some one's back yard. The funny thing was, the woman came out of her house and said to her husband, "Holy shit...Charley Boorman is in our back yard!"

The bike was a total loss, but Gary limped away with a new asshole, a cut wrist, and a major scrape down the side of his helmet. One bike down on this trip...three more to go!!

Crashed bike on the left...as if you couldn't tell!!

Here is a photo of another crash that happened today...

After a day like today, I cannot wait to see what tomorrow will bring! Bring it on!!

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 06:44 PM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #109
RHC66
R1200GS + CBR250R

Oddometer: 30
Subscribed
Thanks heaps for sharing this with everyone on here. I remember seeing this trip advertised about a year ago and thinking "far out......I would love to do that" (probably like many people on here )
Having met Charlie about 2 years ago and having a chat with him made me want to go even more, he is a great bloke.
Thanks again and keep it coming
All the best
Keith
RHC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #110
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 130
Hey GlobalPilot,
Thanks, now I have to go change my "dream ride" in my profile. Great start and looking forward to more. I even popped my LWD dvd in this week just to get more Africa scenery... and Charley's sense of humor!
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #111
Seattle Jimmy
happy dipshit.

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider007 View Post
One question: While you few hot shot superior riders are frolicking with Charlie what are the inferior unskilled riders doing and who, if anyone, is guiding them?
We had several guides and a support vehicle that followed the entire crew. Charley took the time to log miles with each rider on the trip.Nobody was left to fend for themselves.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #112
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,235
I guess if you wreck your bike it's into the support vehicle for you, or do they trailer along a couple of spares? I showed the wife this threat and surprisingly she was stoked about the idea. The challenge is she is a non rider and would ride pillion or pillion/support vehicle if the terrain made 2up to difficult. Any couples on this ride riding two up?
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #113
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider007 View Post
One question: While you few hot shot superior riders are frolicking with Charlie what are the inferior unskilled riders doing and who, if anyone, is guiding them?
First of all, I am not claiming to be a "hot shot superior rider" rider by any means. People just have different riding styles. I am comfortable riding off road, but that is just the result of years of riding motocross. I ride at a pace that is comfortable and enjoyable for me. Some days, I like to push myself due to the exciting terrain and excellent riding partners. Other days, I like to kick back and enjoy the scenery, and take photos.

As my good mate Jimmy said, Charley rode with all the groups. He was really good at spending quality time with everyone. He would hang with riders who wanted a more technical and fast paced route and challenge them; then, he would shift gears and hang with the more leisurely groups who preferred not to ride in the deeper sand and gravel. By no means were any of the riders "inferior unskilled riders." We had multiple guides that shifted around daily, and we always rode in at least groups of two. After the first few days of riding, everyone settled into their own groove.

Rider007, I hope this helps sort things out mate!

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 04:25 AM
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #114
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
I guess if you wreck your bike it's into the support vehicle for you, or do they trailer along a couple of spares? I showed the wife this threat and surprisingly she was stoked about the idea. The challenge is she is a non rider and would ride pillion or pillion/support vehicle if the terrain made 2up to difficult. Any couples on this ride riding two up?
John and Su from Motoaventures did an excellent job of making sure that nobody had to ride in the support vehicles unless they wanted to. They did trailer spare bikes (usually 2 to 3), in case a bike broke down or a rider broke the bike! Numerous riders switched bikes along the way due to mishaps, but they never missed a riding day because of shortage of bikes!

We had two couples that rode 2 up. One couple chose the less technical, more asphalt route and had a great time. The other couple decided to ride every technical section 2up. They kicked ass on the trails...with both of them standing and riding together. It made me wish I had brought my wife!

[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 06:49 PM
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #115
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
So in!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #116
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 261
Fantastic ride report Micah and what a great opportunity! See you soon when you return.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #117
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,235
Nice, thanks for the info. Now I have to ask, how technical? Have some pictures? I imagine the sand would be the most difficult part but having a little extra weight over the rear may actually help. Loving the report!
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #118
Stressfest
ekki-ekki-pitang

Oddometer: 209
A great read and fantastic photos...keep em coming
Stressfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #119
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,704
Subscribed. Great thread. I think I met globalpilot4 at the air port in Jo'burg. We were filming in Limpopo and Kruger park. We were cast and film crew all rolled into one. I look forward to reading the report on this rainy day.. good luck and keep posting.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #120
LilBear
Wag more. Bark less.

Oddometer: 40
Fun trip report

Thanks for the fun trip report so far.
LilBear is offline   Reply With Quote