Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #46
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Yeah as you said it stinks. Many of the higher end lights have it as a hidden option. Course you'll never remember how to turnit on when you need to.

It's a deal breaker for me if it's not able to be switched off
True, and the way they made it sound in the information on this lamp, it forgets the step down settings after 5 seconds. But that doesn't help if you need to turn it off for a few seconds, then back on and plus, it doesn't really forget the settings after five seconds, it takes a lot longer to not step down and change modes on you. I have seen it last twenty seconds and go to the next lower setting then toggle thru sos and strobe. basically, the info said, toggle thru the settings before 5 seconods expires and it'll change from high to med to low to sos to strobe.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #47
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,847
Quote:
Hate to tell you this but if you join candle powr forums for free you get 15% off at bugoutgear on jetbeam
I'm still on double secret probabtion over there.

I used a cpf coupon for 5 off at battery junction. I needed a decent charger, and a few cells...

I will "need" to get an RRT-0, so hopefully they figure out I'm not a spam-bot...
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #48
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
I've got a couple of 4Seven's lights... great stuff, love em. I won't buy another light without a super low "moonlight" mode - they'll put out usable light for 2 weeks per AA, and it's real easy on "night vision" adjusted eyes.

However, the Zebralight H51w is my main EDC light. Single AA, from 0.2 to 180 lumens, warm natural color, and the 90-degree angle + clip gives you all sorts of hands-free use options (clip to your belt, shirt collar, or tailstand and point), not to mention that it comes with a headband.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #49
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I've got a couple of 4Seven's lights... great stuff, love em. I won't buy another light without a super low "moonlight" mode - they'll put out usable light for 2 weeks per AA, and it's real easy on "night vision" adjusted eyes.

However, the Zebralight H51w is my main EDC light. Single AA, from 0.2 to 180 lumens, warm natural color, and the 90-degree angle + clip gives you all sorts of hands-free use options (clip to your belt, shirt collar, or tailstand and point), not to mention that it comes with a headband.
Great point about moonlight. Having a dim glow to read in a tent is a great option. Many of the high end lights allow you to adjust the levels. I think some go down to 0.05 lumens!!

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #50
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Great point about moonlight. Having a dim glow to read in a tent is a great option. Many of the high end lights allow you to adjust the levels. I think some go down to 0.05 lumens!!
As long as it does that and is easy to switch back to normal modes....
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #51
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C View Post
I have purchased from DX several times in the past. One thing I recommend that a person be aware of, before buying from, them is that they have extremely long shipping times.

I would not hesitate to buy from them; however, I would be hesitant about placing a Christmas purchase with them this late in the year. Further, I ahve had to write to them to "remind" them about orders placed. Figure a shipping time of two to six months. If it goes over six months, write to then and remind them.

If this is a level of service that you are comfortable with, then, by all means, buy from DX. If you see yourself getting upset over late shipments, don't.
I got an email yesterday from Deal Extreme saying they just opened warehouses in the UK and the USA so at least on some products you can get quick shipping. They mentioned that you should make sure what you order is something that they stock in the US and don't mix an order with some stuff from warehouse and some from China if you want fast sevice : http://blog.dealextreme.com/overseas...ed/?r=90000202

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #52
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Here are a couple of pics of the new one, with the old one and a Mini Mag for scale. The ones with the lights on say it all. The battery in old one with cr123 is about a week old. The new one has a new rechargable.

Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #53
pilot
Slackin' again

Oddometer: 30,381
What model are these?

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #54
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Sorry the new one is a Jetbeam BA10.

The best I can tell the green one (Sportsmans Warehouse) is made by Romisen.

And of course the Maglite Mini-mag 2aa.

The Jetbeam rivals my Maglight 3D. Twist the front bezel and it goes from high 160 lumens to 12 lumens low. The package indicates a 97 meter beam throw. It's pretty awesome! [/nerd]
Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #55
wjrudo
homemade

Oddometer: 117
Zebra Light

I bought a Zebralight last year. WOW! Super bright! Has six settings, from super dim to burn retina. I usually buy SureFire and I've always been super happy with them, but the Surefire headlamp is a bit spendy. This little gem is a super good buy and can easily be removed from the head band. Can't go wrong here!!!!

WWW.zebralight.com
wjrudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #56
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,346
I'm a flashlight nut. I have quite a few flashlights that run on CR123 batteries but during the power outages of Hurricane Irene my most used lights were the ones powered by common AA cells.

For a single AAA flashlight the ITP A3 EOS R5 is an excellent value at around $20. One of these resides on my key chain. Last Christmas I gifted half a dozen of them and everyone loves them. http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-a...5-upgrade.html

For a single AA battery flashlight look at the Zebralight SC51. It's the brightest single AA flashlight on the market and has one of the most unique interfaces. It puts out a blinding 200 lumens on high and can go as low as .2 lumens for over two weeks. At a little over three inches long it fits easily in the pocket. http://www.zebralight.com/SC51-Flash...00Lm_p_43.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #57
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,225
Late to the thread. One of my buddies is the advertising exec at surefire. I knew nothing about the product. He gifted me an executive elite e2, and it rocks.

I can find a coyote down the block with it's focused beam. It uses the Lithium batteries, but they don't last more than a few hours, at best. I thought about buying the led head for it, maybe less light, but a lot more battery life.

Input?

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #58
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Late to the thread. One of my buddies is the advertising exec at surefire. I knew nothing about the product. He gifted me an executive elite e2, and it rocks.

I can find a coyote down the block with it's focused beam. It uses the Lithium batteries, but they don't last more than a few hours, at best. I thought about buying the led head for it, maybe less light, but a lot more battery life.

Input?
That's an older Surefire, was rated for 60 lumens. The LED lights of today have far surpassed it in performance. If I'm not mistaken Surefire wants $150 for the LED conversion head. At that price you could buy a new LED type Surefire. Personally I would just buy a newer LED type of flashlight. If you don't want to spend too much money you should take a look at Fenix flashlights. They are Chinese made but are very good quality and rugged. In addition some of them have multiple output levels so you save your batteries by selecting the amount of light you need for the task. BatteryJunction has a good selection of Fenix lights. I've ordered several times from them and the service has always been excellent. http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix.html

I have a newer Surefire LX2. It's an extremely rugged and dependable flashlight with two output levels, 200 and 15 lumens. That being said my Zebralights and Fenix lights are much more useful because they can go much lower and have more brightness settings to choose from. There are times when you only need 3 lumens or less like reading a book or preserving your night vision or even saving your batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #59
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN View Post
I'm a flashlight nut. I have quite a few flashlights that run on CR123 batteries but during the power outages of Hurricane Irene my most used lights were the ones powered by common AA cells.

For a single AAA flashlight the ITP A3 EOS R5 is an excellent value at around $20. One of these resides on my key chain. Last Christmas I gifted half a dozen of them and everyone loves them. http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-a...5-upgrade.html

For a single AA battery flashlight look at the Zebralight SC51. It's the brightest single AA flashlight on the market and has one of the most unique interfaces. It puts out a blinding 200 lumens on high and can go as low as .2 lumens for over two weeks. At a little over three inches long it fits easily in the pocket. http://www.zebralight.com/SC51-Flash...00Lm_p_43.html
Yes - but what about the impending 502 release?
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #60
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post

Input?
If you think that this 60LM Xenon flashlight rocks for its size, you really need to try a modern LED flaslight.

Try a Li-ion 18650 based flashlight using a XM-L T6 emitter and come back with your impressions.

Even a XP-G series emitter will amaze you.

Something like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-x-18650-93265

Don't be fooled by the "manufacturer rated" brightness though...there's no chance this thing hits 1000LM. But even just at 500LM, it will blow you away!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: