Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 260
Ah, don't bother with that crap. Just order some Dynabeads and put them in the tire. You just need the "DBS-BP1" kit from here: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

It works way better than balancing, and will smooth your ride out very well.

As for the drivetrains, most scooters have some rattle or shudder in the CVT. What does it sound like, and when does it occur? If it is only at the start of acceleration, it is probably just normal jutter as the belt engages the pulleys.

maddiedog screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 07:18 PM Reason: spelling derp
maddiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #32
TINGLER OP
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Ah, don't bother with that crap. Just order some Dynabeads and put them in the tire. You just need the "DBS-BP1" kit from here: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

It works way better than balancing, and will smooth your ride out very well.

As for the drivetrains, most scooters have some rattle or shudder in the CVT. What does it sound like, and when does it occur? If it is only at the start of acceleration, it is probably just normal jutter as the belt engages the pulleys.
It's pretty slight and higher up in the RPM range. The scooter accelerates and reaches an indicated 60mph flawlessly, so I figure it might just be naturally noisey.

I'll check out the dynabead thing. Thanks.
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #33
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
I have 13g dr pulley sliders coming in. Still haven't found a source for those Malossi kevlar belts.

I thought redline was around 7500. Mine barely sounds like it's doing 5k tapped out.

Not my video, but this is pretty much what mine sounds like. We can try to ascertain the rpms from it.

Here I've converted the audio to mp3.. http://qa.makeitmp3.com/media/8/feea...0110%20kmh.mp3

That's mine.
14g stock rollers inside.

I should probably re-do the video now with 13g rollers, but
they're been inside for a long time so they're probably not even
13g now..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #34
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINGLER View Post
It's pretty slight and higher up in the RPM range. The scooter accelerates and reaches an indicated 60mph flawlessly, so I figure it might just be naturally noisey.
Might be naturally noisy. The clatter I was referring to is completely different from the noise you described. I'd have to ride it to tell you if something was really off. I'd mention it next service and have the technician double-check that it is okay.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #35
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Scooter tires usually don't need to be balanced. There are cases where they do need to be if its WAY off, but usually with them small tires its unnecessary. The Dyna Beads wouldn't be a bad idea at all if Y'all want it to be real smooth though.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #36
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I should probably re-do the video now with 13g rollers, but
they're been inside for a long time so they're probably not even
13g now..
I just put the 13g dr pulley sliders in. Rode around the block, definitely more pep than stock. If weather permits I will take it to work which is 45 minutes of full throttle.

I also got some type of yellow clutch spring, but I haven't installed it yet. It's so comically large I thought they sent me a rear shock by accident
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #37
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
I just put the 13g dr pulley sliders in. Rode around the block, definitely more pep than stock. If weather permits I will take it to work which is 45 minutes of full throttle.
Make sure you report back with the indicated top speed with these!

My top speed dropped a lot with regular type 13g rollers, and the bike
screams over 55mph so I usually don't ride faster then that.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #38
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Make sure you report back with the indicated top speed with these!

My top speed dropped a lot with regular type 13g rollers, and the bike
screams over 55mph so I usually don't ride faster then that.
Just got into work. Top speed today was a bit higher than yesterday. Tops out at 66mph indicated versus my usual 62mph indicated.

I did draft a truck for a couple of minutes, not really drafting but 50 yards back and the speed climbed above 70mph indicated. Felt a bit of a shudder starting so I backed off. Interesting, but not in a good way. Pressures are 22psi front, 28 psi rear as indicated in the book for single passenger. Slight shudder, could have been the belt, or I guess a chassis issue.

Take off seems a little more snatchy. Acceleration is crisp when cold though gets a bit soft after being at WOT for a while. Same behavior as before the 13g change. Maybe a kevlar belt would help.

I did also put in an iridium plug. Ha ha I hate doing two things at once.

My fuel economy is kinda suckage. Put 1 gallon in today, 66.7 miles (route measured via google maps) = 66.7 mpg. That's about 75% with stock rollers and 25% with 13g dr pulley sliders.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #39
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I've seen 73mph indicated _once_ with the wind in my back and with the
14 OEM rollers and that sounded more or less like 62-63mph sounds like
with teh 13g rollers.

I HAVE TO get Dr Pulley stuff in there if I don't end up selling the scoot
before (the idea is to replace both my bikes in the sig line with a bigger
scoot).

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #40
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
I've seen 73mph indicated _once_ with the wind in my back and with the
14 OEM rollers and that sounded more or less like 62-63mph sounds like
with teh 13g rollers.

I HAVE TO get Dr Pulley stuff in there if I don't end up selling the scoot
before (the idea is to replace both my bikes in the sig line with a bigger
scoot).
I've seen 70 indicated on my totally stock Agility but that is all she wrote. It is not a fun ride at that speed, would not want to be there often.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #41
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Take off seems a little more snatchy.
(Re dr pulley 13g sliders)

This behavior is unpleasant. I would say that it has affected the rideability such that I will need to change something else to compensate. I've got that 1500rpm (yellow) clutch spring which I've yet to install. Not sure if that will help or make it worse.

Right now it feels as though it takes higher rpm before the bike begins to move. I guess that makes sense because the lighter sliders would keep the drive side small even with spinning faster, giving the clutch less rotation.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
TINGLER OP
Swamp lips

So I replaced the tires this week. I must say that the Kendas took care of the shaky and unbalanced paint mixer ride.

I appreciate the discussion. Lots of good info here.

I think the dual sport tires add a bit of adventure to the mix.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
TINGLER OP
Swamp lips

Also, check out these pics of Zumas that I found on Facebook. This sparks a lot of imagination. I might like to take the Kymco in this direction. Why not?.....Isn't "for fun" a viable reason?

TINGLER screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 07:06 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #44
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
(Re dr pulley 13g sliders)

This behavior is unpleasant. I would say that it has affected the rideability such that I will need to change something else to compensate. I've got that 1500rpm (yellow) clutch spring which I've yet to install. Not sure if that will help or make it worse.
I installed the yellow clutch spring tonight, to go along with my dr pulley 13g sliders. I originally had the red clutch spring, which I didn't like with the 13g sliders. With the yellow spring it's much better at takeoff since it got rid of that jarring clutch engage. Nice and smooth now.

That was a pain to change out that spring. A big ole nut with a giant compressed spring behind it. Jack in the box!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #45
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

How's everyone doing with their Agility 125!

I've decided to hop-up mine a little to get it cruise comfortably within 65-70 mph. As cheaply as possible, of course. I just need about 5 mph more to keep up with most cars on my freeway commute.

So first I am trying an unlimited CDI to get a bit more rpms. The DC models have become cheaper and easier to find. Probably a little bit of rejet (needle shimming etc) to match the new CDI and see where that goes. If it's pretty strong but still not fast enough I would like to next try changing the final drive gear ratio.