User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #61
JasonStern
Winterize Bike? Wat?

Oddometer: 12
another new Agility 125 owner

I bought a Zuma 50 a while back for my girl to ride, but she never got into it. So I wanted to sell it and pick up an enduro for myself and she got all mad. I asked her why she cared and she said she liked the scooter - she just didn't want to ride by herself, and that I should ride along side her on my ZRX.

So I decided to find another Zuma so we could ride together. This made her happy, although I suspect mostly because that money wasn't going towards an enduro. But, naturally, scooter prices got ridiculously inflated in Reno with spring weather and the recent gas price spike. And while I actually really like the Zuma, I don't like it $1400/1500 in running shape or even $1050 with work needed. so that appeared to be the end of that...

...until one day, while browsing craigslist, I found a brand new 2009 Kymco Agility 125 in Sacramento for $1150. apparently a scooter dealer stopped carrying kymco and had this thing sitting in storage for two years. after nerding it up reading every post I could find on them, I bit:

the battery was dead when I bought it. luckily, the Agility has a kickstart. but the Agility won't run without a battery, defeating 80% of the kickstart. I couldn't find one locally, so I had to order one. I then made the stupid mistake of attaching the black battery cable to the negative terminal instead of the positive terminal (wtf Taiwan?) and blew a 7 amp inline fuse. the auto store naturally didn't have a replacement 7 amp inline fuse, so I went with a 7.25 amp fuse that was too big so I had to break the plastic slightly on the fuse holder to get it to fit. starts right up and runs great now.

the only build quality flaw that is currently show stopping is that the left turn signals don't work. I pulled the bulbs and they are fine, so now I need to figure out where the flasher relay is and test that, and then the switch. hopefully it's just a loose connector and not a bad wire.

I don't know how accurate the speedometer is, but the odometer is on crack. it is honestly reading about 4-5 times as high as it should (unless these things really do get 500 miles to the gallon... I didn't think so). not a big deal until I try to sell it, although it means I'm probably going to be doing regular maintenance prematurely.

also, the seat latch is off so it doesn't close when I drop the seat as I would on the Zuma or any of my other bikes. something to adjust when time permits as it shuts when I sit on it.

compared to the Zuma 50, it has noticeably more acceleration. with low miles and the motor not broken in and everything, I haven't done any top speed runs yet. honestly, I would have been a lot happier with a Zuma 125 due to the better build quality. but given the choice between a Zuma 125 or a Kymco Agility 125 and $1,000, I'd take the cash and the Kymco. that said, to me, scooters are a toy and not my primary means of transportation.
JasonStern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStern View Post
the only build quality flaw that is currently show stopping is that the left turn signals don't work. I pulled the bulbs and they are fine, so now I need to figure out where the flasher relay is and test that, and then the switch. hopefully it's just a loose connector and not a bad wire.
Probably the same guy put mine together. IIRC one of the rear turn signal's wire had pulled loose.

Quote:
I don't know how accurate the speedometer is, but the odometer is on crack. it is honestly reading about 4-5 times as high as it should (unless these things really do get 500 miles to the gallon... I didn't think so).
odo is in kilometers.

Quote:
also, the seat latch is off so it doesn't close when I drop the seat as I would on the Zuma or any of my other bikes. something to adjust when time permits as it shuts when I sit on it.
When you are done fixing yours, tell the rest of us how you did it

I drop mine, and then punch the top like The Fonz, aaayyyyyyyyyyy!
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #63
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
Congrats Jason!

Now go change the tires.
Right now.
Seriously.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #64
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Congrats Jason!

Now go change the tires.
Right now.
Seriously.
What's wrong with the tires? I've got a 2009.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #65
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Today I put my final drive back to stock.

Earlier I put back the 14g rollers, but left the yellow clutch spring.

Today I put on a new OEM belt and the stock red clutch spring.

I was concerned that the yellow clutch spring might be causing belt slip (due to quicker reduction of rear pulley size) and so I didn't want to wreck my new belt.

I like it so far, seems snappy off the line, but I haven't tested top speed yet.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #66
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
What's wrong with the tires? I've got a 2009.
They'll try to kill you, repeatedly.
Change them.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #67
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
They'll try to kill you, repeatedly.
Change them.
Ok I thought you might mean some kind of recall. So they are just generally shitty tires.

What do you recommend?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #68
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Did you replace them yet?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #69
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
Ok I thought you might mean some kind of recall. So they are just generally shitty tires.

What do you recommend?
I'm gonna go with "anything".

They're fine for about 3-4k miles, then it's like someone flicked a
switch, NO GRIP WHATSOEVER on wet roads, and it's your a$$ on
the first pedestrian crossing/painted road/pot hole.

I went with Michelin City Grips, the difference is HUGE, and makes
for an amazing comfort improvement too, which the bike needs
desperately.

I really tried to make a face-plant happen here, honestly I did,
but it would not play along!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #70
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,256
Has anyone done anymore modifications to this bike like intake and exhaust mods, suspension, etc.?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #71
JasonStern
Winterize Bike? Wat?

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Has anyone done anymore modifications to this bike like intake and exhaust mods, suspension, etc.?
I haven't. until the first motor starts to go, it doesn't make much sense to touch anything from a cost/benefit viewpoint.

that said, the motor in the agility is just a 125cc GY6, so you can drop a kymco 150cc GY6 motor in, rejet, and get an extra horsepower (which sounds weak, but remember - you're in the 7-8hp to begin with) with the same stock reliability without spending much. that's the route I'd probably go if anything does ever happen to the motor.
JasonStern is offline   Reply With Quote