Old 06-13-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
JamesMio OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
MotoGoLoco - Motorcycle Maps System

Hey folks,

Any of these sound familiar?

"Google Maps to Basecamp Tracks/Routes for Dummies?"

"Is it possible for me to make my routes in google maps and the transfer them to my older garmin 450. base camps is not as user friendly for me..."

They should do, because I see these same questions and gripes on pretty much every single biking forum or group I visit.

The question of 'How to create a route in Google Maps, then send it onto my Garmin/TomTom' is a common one among bikers and, bar a couple of really faffy workarounds, there isn't a real, straightforward answer.

So, we decided to spend the last couple of years working alongside one of Google's own maps developers to create a motorcycle mapping system that:

- Utilises the same Google Maps' interface which many are already familiar with
- Provides a quick & simple Export to GPS function to send your routes to your Garmin/TomTom
- Displays iconic, classic and user created biking routes as layers, and allows you to add any of these to your own new route (a bit like laying tracing paper over a paper map)
- Shows a growing list of real, recommended biker-friendly hotels and guest houses as another layer (currently UK & Eire only, but not for long)

Here's the link:

MotoGoLoco Maps

You'll need to create a user account to be able to save routes and then export them onto your GPS, but it's free, takes 30 seconds and I promise not to spam the hell out of your inbox afterwards!!

Bar a couple of little glitches here and there, we're pretty much good to go with it.

Would love to get your feedback, so I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
James @ MotoGoLoco

JamesMio screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 03:53 AM
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #2
Fishwiz4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Sounds great. I tried to look at it, but I'm browsing on my phone and it says map was designed for larger screens. I guess I'll have to check it out another time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Fishwiz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
JamesMio OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwiz4 View Post
Sounds great. I tried to look at it, but I'm browsing on my phone and it says map was designed for larger screens. I guess I'll have to check it out another time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Ah yes - about that. We tried it with iPhones & a couple of Android phones and there's just too much going on to make it a pleasant/usable experience on such a small screen.

It can also be a fairly meaty beast in terms of system resources - nothing a laptop/desktop would sniff at but on occasion phones were struggling a little.

So - the plan is to get the desktop/tablet version nailed, then translate it into a proper mobile app. Watch this space!

:)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
cotton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Giving it a try

I have signed up and will give it a try!!

First look is how simple it is.

Will try sending to my Monterra later........
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,495
Just spent a few minutes with it and found to to be mostly what I have been looking for!

I did find in my first route though it is trying to force me through a town I want to avoid via a FS route that I plan to do an out and back on. If there is anyway to force it to remove the suggested route I haven't found it yet. 10X better than anything else I've run across so far though Great work!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
huguesfrederic
HF

Oddometer: 120
Trying it right now for my ride tomorrow...
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
James:

Your website looks awesome - nice work!

Have you seen any issues with the various GPS units "recalculating" the routes and as a result you end up on different roads than what is shown in the planner? Is adding extra via points to "anchor" the route recommended?

In the past sometimes when I've tried to add extra anchors they wind up getting slightly misplaced and have ended up taking me down side streets and etc. unless I zoom in pretty closely to make sure the via is actually exactly where I wanted it instead of (say) on the southbound side of an interstate on which I am heading north!

JRWooden screwed with this post 06-14-2014 at 07:39 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
Really nice, I like it!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
JamesMio OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
Just spent a few minutes with it and found to to be mostly what I have been looking for!

I did find in my first route though it is trying to force me through a town I want to avoid via a FS route that I plan to do an out and back on. If there is anyway to force it to remove the suggested route I haven't found it yet. 10X better than anything else I've run across so far though Great work!
Hey fella - just about to drop you a PM for some more details on this as I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. 2 ticks, something will be hitting your inbox shortly!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,495
thanks replied.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,547
wow...I just recreated my route from this weekend in under a minute....great job
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
JamesMio OP
Adventurer

Brilliant feedback guys, thank you all so much - it really does mean a lot to us.

I'll zip through the couple of questions above as soon as I can.

Cheers
James @ MotoGoLoco
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Downloaded the app late last week and have created a number of routes with it very quickly that I had spent literally hours trying to create with BaseCamp. BaseCamp has a lot more bells and whistles but I don't need them and MotoGoLoco does what I want in a fraction of the time. Much easier to use and I am looking forward to using it frequently this summer/fall.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I like the intermediate stop. Many times you can't jog a map system to go the route you wanted with just a beginning and endpoint. And being able to pull it to where you want is much better if you don't know the name of a town in the direction you want to go.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 AM   #15
JamesMio OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
James:

Your website looks awesome - nice work!

Have you seen any issues with the various GPS units "recalculating" the routes and as a result you end up on different roads than what is shown in the planner? Is adding extra via points to "anchor" the route recommended?

In the past sometimes when I've tried to add extra anchors they wind up getting slightly misplaced and have ended up taking me down side streets and etc. unless I zoom in pretty closely to make sure the via is actually exactly where I wanted it instead of (say) on the southbound side of an interstate on which I am heading north!
Hey JR,

Thanks - much appreciated.

GPS units "recalculating" - It's still a problem because your device has settings, that you can change, that might differ from what you created on the system...

The device will always win so always double check the route on the device before starting your journey.

Best example is if you've created a route that includes motorway/highway, and your GPS is set to never use motorways/highways, then the GPS will override any imported route.

TIP - It does help to add in more anchor points as these are the only bits of data that are taken across to the device, the device then finds the best road to get between anchor points based on your devices settings.

Yes - misplaced anchor points are a problem but it's the nature of the beast, if you tried to drop an anchor point from a zoomed out level in London you could end up anywhere...

Rule of thumb, in built up areas zoom right in and and make sure you definitely hit the right road... In lower density areas you can afford to be off by 20/30/50 meters and it'll be fine.